Octopus and squid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps someone with knowledge can answer this question.

The son and I did a night dive and came upon a "formation" of squid. They were swimming in a V formation like birds!

Was this a random event or do they actually do this?

Perhaps someone with knowledge can answer this question.

The son and I did a night dive and came upon a "formation" of squid. They were swimming in a V formation like birds!

Was this a random event or do they actually do this?

I did notice that they tended to position themselves in certain patterns relative to each other. Take a look at the squid photos on my Instagram account (see the link below) for some examples.

I also noticed that they were always present in even numbers - i.e. always 2 or 4 of them, never in threes or just one.

@Ironborn: I've seen lone squid on several occasions, including at least twice on night dives.

Squid are very social. Often if you see just one, others are nearby and out of your sight line or camouflaged.
I've seen a single squid on night dives and just assumed it's buddies are out of my flashlight range.

We finally had a decent octopus encounter on our last day at 1000 Steps. As with the squid, it was in about 5 - 6 m at the top of the reef. It stayed out for about 20 minutes moving about the top of the reef.
full.jpg

Daytime, out in the open, 20 minutes. You are very fortunate and must also be low impact divers not to have spooked it. Thanks for sharing.

We finally had a decent octopus encounter on our last day at 1000 Steps. As with the squid, it was in about 5 - 6 m at the top of the reef. It stayed out for about 20 minutes moving about the top of the reef.View attachment 428288

Great shot. I think that is yet another example of what several contributors to this thread observed: that the shallow shelf between the drop-off and the shore is sometimes a better place to see these critters, rather than the reef itself. Indeed, I found that many of my best critter sightings, and not just of squid (also turtles and eagle rays), occurred in those areas, as we were either heading out to or returning from the reef.

I think that this aspect of Bonaire shore diving is what makes it so great - I did not see nearly as many critters (or coral and gorgonian growth, for that matter) when heading out to or returning from the reefs on Curacao. One would miss this aspect of Bonaire's environment if one just did boat dives.

I think that this aspect of Bonaire shore diving is what makes it so great - I did not see nearly as many critters (or coral and gorgonian growth, for that matter) when heading out to or returning from the reefs on Curacao. One would miss this aspect of Bonaire's environment if one just did boat dives.
Where in Curacao did you dive?

Where in Curacao did you dive?

Mostly the west side, with one day on the east side:

Daaiboi
Behind the Aqualectra desalinzation plant
Cas Abou
Playa Shon Moza
Playa Largu
Porto Marie
Tugboat
Marie Pompoen

The most interesting thing that I saw during the underwater swims to and from shore at any of these sites was an octopus (oddly enough) in his den at Cas Abou.

Great shot. I think that is yet another example of what several contributors to this thread observed: that the shallow shelf between the drop-off and the shore is sometimes a better place to see these critters, rather than the reef itself. Indeed, I found that many of my best critter sightings, and not just of squid (also turtles and eagle rays), occurred in those areas, as we were either heading out to or returning from the reef.

Yes, we saw a lot of turtles on this trip and a few eagle rays...... all shallower than 10m.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom