Yelled at for MOF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also having had the luxury of time to craft a response to the OP antagonist, I'm entertained by the thought of:
Calmy removing the mask and offering it to him - "You seem in distress, would you like to put it on your forehead to demonstrate?"

Seriously, though, kudos to stuartv for the wherewithal to keep it professional, which can be challenging in those situations even for the best of us. Pity for the antagonist, who obviously needs more attention and validation than he's getting. Hope he finds what he needs, soon.

727.JPG

I said in a post above that I didn't recall MOF being a hot topic, but for some reason I now recall at least one previous thread. I guess these threads follow a predictable pattern. Ah, here:

M.O.F. What does it really mean?

+1
Instructors in OW class at the surface who take out their regulator and/or lift their mask are teaching bad habits
Of course you mean other than for the instructor to talk giving instructions.

I've been waiting for another thread to post this pic in again!!

Quote: I don't take off my mask until I'm on the boat.
+1
Quote: Instructors in OW class at the surface who take out their regulator and/or lift their mask are teaching bad habits

I agree with these. I've DM'd for MOF Nazi instructors, sometimes they focus way too much on finding someone to berate who is obviously not in distress.
Once my mask goes on it stays on pretty much the whole time in the pool. On boat dives mask and reg. stay on until I'm on the boat and stable or in my seat.

This is actually my wife in the pic. She's done a couple of DSDs. It's just too good of a pic to not want to share.. :)

Sorry if I derailed. Thread was slowing down anyway.

Of course you mean other than for the instructor to talk giving instructions.

I grant that there are some occassions but even then it is done too much. Students copy instructors. If every time they come up the instructor has the reg out to ask questions or comment, then they are teaching that the correct thing to do when you come up is take your reg out. I see divers do it all the time coming up to the boat and I see them drinking some sea water too. If drill is done, then usually no reason not to just point toward shore/boat and debrief there.

I've been waiting for another thread to post this pic in again!!

Quote: I don't take off my mask until I'm on the boat.
+1
Quote: Instructors in OW class at the surface who take out their regulator and/or lift their mask are teaching bad habits

I agree with these. I've DM'd for MOF Nazi instructors, sometimes they focus way too much on finding someone to berate who is obviously not in distress.
Once my mask goes on it stays on pretty much the whole time in the pool. On boat dives mask and reg. stay on until I'm on the boat and stable or in my seat.

This is actually my wife in the pic. She's done a couple of DSDs. It's just too good of a pic to not want to share.. :)

Sorry if I derailed. Thread was slowing down anyway.
That was more of an enjoyable, if distracting exhibit of the topic at hand, than a derailment

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom