Backplate sizing for 13yr old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

topher10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My son was recently certified, and I am looking at possibly buying him some gear for Christmas. All he really needs is BCD and regs. For BCD, I am thinking of a backplate/wing, probably DSS since that is what I have. We dive primarily warm water (florida panhandle), and I already have an LCD 20 and LCD 30, so we really only need the backplate (stainless steel) and harness. So here is the question.

Should I get him a small or medium DSS backplate?

Currently he is a skinny 5'3" tall, and the DSS website says that small plates are for 5'3" and shorter. But at 13 he will be growing fast over the next few years. My opinion is that I should get him a medium. If the medium is too big for him now, then I should just hold off on the purchase, rent a BC for another year or so, and then buy the medium. So perhaps the better question is this: Is a medium, stainless steel backplate too big for a 13 yr old who is 5'3".

After typing all this, the answers seem obvious, but I am going to submit anyway.

Thanks,

A good friend of mine had the same problem when his 13yr old daughter was beginning to dive. He made this cute little rig for her. Notice it is a standard plate, but he cut new holes for the lower webbing. (I hope he forgives me for stealing his pictures :D
11206793_10152840033962413_711148447418212949_o.jpg

For comparison, here is the original plate.
halcyon_backplate_aluminum.png

The rig he made is a small D4L absolutely adorable, perfectly sized rig for her. And, when she grows, she can just move the webbing to the original holes.

I would buy the best fit for today, so he is safe today. Then either sell it or trade it for the medium, the trade again for the large as he grows.
Today’s dive dangers don’t give a crap about economy. Ask me how I know.

I'd buy the medium now. At 5'3" he's close enough to the standard sized plate that he'll be fine. At 13, he's probably right about to hit his big growth spurt anyway.

@topher10 which size plates do you have now?

I only have a medium right now. I am 5'10'' 170lbs, and I have been diving a medium stainless with an LCD20. But I recently bought an LCD30 for use when I do cold water dives in thicker wetsuits (work trips to west coast). If I buy him a backplate/harness I could use the LCD30 and he the LCD20.

And of course, what I really need to do is let him dive in my rig and see how it likes it. Only issue is that I will have to adjust all the webbing so it will fit his skinny body.... We will probably start doing pool nights with our local dive shop soon, so I plan to let him try it out there.

Thanks as always for advice,
Chris

And Imla, I like that picture. He even engraved her name on the plate...

his 13yr old daughter was beginning to dive. He made this cute little rig for her. Notice it is a standard plate, but he cut new holes for the lower webbing. (I hope he forgives me for stealing his pictures :D
11206793_10152840033962413_711148447418212949_o-jpg.431020.jpg
Are those doubles with a reserve valve? How big? Very very cool!

Why don't you ask Tobin the owner of DSS directly? He helped me with my 14yr old's bp.
BTW, my son loved the transition from his SP Glide to a backplate.

You can find the DSS page here

The daughter's doubles look like AL30s. Very cool! Assuming D4L means doubles 4 Liter. LP27s look too short for the picture. Presumably a normal plate was used to allow 11" bolts.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom