Which regulator to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I used an Oceanic cDX5 with second stage GT3 and octopus Alpha 8 for about 8 years without any problem. Then, the front cover of the GT3 was broken, and I couldn´t get the spare part because there is currently no oceanic distributor in Europe (and it is even out of stock on US ebay). My local dive shop suggestied to buy a new second stage Alpha 8, but I felt, it couldn´t dive with that.

As with the whole spare spart issue, I am fed up with oceanic and considering buying a new (mid-range) regulator. I dive in warmer water, including deep diving. The regulator should be rather light-weight as I dive only on holiday. No tec diving.
Spare parts should be widely available.

So far, I had only a pressure gauge combined with a wrist computer. Would you suggest an additional depth gauge?
I thought about Scubapro, Aqualung or Apeks. And I found an offer for Subgear SG500.
All suggestions are welcome.
Cheers,
Liberty

In Europe, Apeks is a good choice. A lot cheaper there than in the States and should have good support available. ScubaPro would be fine too. But I would just get Apeks if SP is more expensive.

I would suggest a backup computer over a depth gauge.

the subgear is discontinued, so ask whether you get warranty support for it when buying. if you get a warranty and it is discounted, it would be a good choice

Thank you.
Does Subgear cause the same problems with spare parts as Oceanic?
Is the second stage of the SG 500 as good as the GT3? I could not find out details about it.

As @runsongas says, Subgear is discontinued so spares will become harder and harder to source.

In Europe, either Apeks, Aqualung or Scubapro are your best choice. Apeks would be my preference.

S.

there is currently no oceanic distributor in Europe (and it is even out of stock on US ebay).

Quite a few oceanic distributors in U.K. who could get you the part.
... PM me if you need a contact.

Apeks & Aqualung are popular in Germany. Look on eBay for good used equipment. I get my Apeks & Aqualung spare parts from shops in Berlin and Würzburg.

Subgear was the lower end Scubapro product line - someone once posted some of their models were identical to older Scubapro's so parts were readily available - at least in the US. IIRC the entire product line was integrated into Scubapro's a few years ago - at least in the US. I could be wrong but I thought Subgear was originally a German company.

Aqualung/Apeks are both owned by the same conglomerate so either can get parts for the other.

When I travel, mostly in the Caribbean and Mexico - I see more Aqualung or Scubapro dealers than anyone else.

I dive a set of mini-gauges(depth/pressure) along wiith a wrist computer. If something happens to the computer I can continue the dive more cconservatively. Mine are Scubapro but they're discontinued - afaik Tusa or Cressi both sell a set. They're physically smaller - the gauge faces are 2" or less in diameter - the whole thing in a boot clips off nicely.

Last edited:
Thank you.
Does Subgear cause the same problems with spare parts as Oceanic?
Is the second stage of the SG 500 as good as the GT3? I could not find out details about it.

I see you travel to dive. Many of the same places I have visited in Thailand, Philippines, Mozambique, Indonesia. I was most recently in Maldives then Nusa Penida and the Gili's. …. Fantastic diving.

Don't buy a "travel" regulator. Poorer quality materials.

Forget Apeks, too heavy, or too expensive for newer, lighter travel friendly products.

Consider the Aqualung Core. A European brand, so very well covered in Europe. Balanced 1st and 2nd. Has had excellent reviews. It's also compact, lightweight and travel friendly.

Apeks for me and my daughter; you really can tell the difference in quality. Pay a bit extra and you will not regret your decision for years, and years, and years, and ....

GJS

Apeks for me and my daughter; you really can tell the difference in quality. Pay a bit extra and you will not regret your decision for years, and years, and years, and ....

GJS

Apeks makes excellent products, as does their parent company Aqualung. Both great quality products with excellent support. I own, and service, both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom