Filitheyo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christian

You have some great pix in your gallery.

I've been to Filitheyo a few times (though not for a couple of years). Its the best run dive centre I've experienced in the Maldives. Even though the staff change over time, the precisely run dive operation remains of a very high standard.

Most days they have 3 dive boats each leaving at around 0900 & again at 1430. One will be looking for strong current in the channels; one for a scenic reef dive & one that will vary from day to day. You sign up each afternoon for the next days dives.

I really like the strong current channel dives. Most of which are 5-10 mins boat ride away. If you explain your own preferences to the dive centre staff, I found them to be very honest in recommending which sites to go for/miss. They are also very straightforward in charging. They let you dive at your own choice and then on checkout day charge you for whichever package will minimise your costs.

I would give the 'full day manta point' dive a miss. Its a long day on the dive boat & quite frankly not a particularly good manta point. It seems quite common to score zero or 1 manta for the day! Also I'd avoid the night dive on the house reef. Around sunset most days a really strong current kicks off along the house reef. Which makes the night dive more than a little challenging!

I hope this info is helpful

enjoy your trip

John

Thank you John -- and I'm glad that you liked my pictures. Doubtful if I will haul my rig for this trip, as it is a pig to carry (D300 in Hugyfot housing with dual inons and then a bunch of glass, batteries, charger ...).
Will probably follow your thoughts to the minute -- not that fond of night dives anyway and I won't go on any full day excursions on this trip as there are a few in the party that don't dive.
My Maldives experience is limited to a trip to Ellaidhoo three years ago on a similar family trip over Christmas/New Year. Enjoyd it a lot. There were a few very good dives nearby like Fish Head and Maya Thila. This island looks a little nicer (from the keyboard) and I hope the local reef is nice for snorkeling. We plan on doing the AI (it's a US$44/day upgrade from HB). Please ellaborate if you have some more input or thoughts regarding Filitheyo diving and resort. Cheers.

Can you give any advice or insight re the sites around Filitheyo?

I went there in 2010. I can hardly remember the dive sites name now.
I only remember the dive sites are really so-so. You can tell from my Filitheyo dive photos.

With Fish Head & Maya Thila, you were spolit - they are 2 of the best sites in the Maldives!

The snorkelling is good at Filitheyo. My wife does not dive, so we had a nice rhythm of the day with snorkles across the middle of the day between my boat dives.

The house reef itself is average, but seems to attract an amazing number of fish. Maldives is strange like that. In contrast, Coco Palm resort has wonderful coral on its house reef - but virtually no fish.

Filitheyo is not a blingy resort. But we liked its simple charm, great food & first class dive centre.

Back
Top Bottom