Going to Key West - Looking for easy dive spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As noted the boat rides are short all along the Keys. I have been down there and got blown out on the boats. Have done a couple dives on Canon beach (desperate to dive) and played a few times in Jules. But that is all Key Largo. Neither are great dives but beat a NC quarry.

I dove at the Hawk's Cay resort. Hawk's Cay is on Duck Key not too far from Key West. There is a little dive shop there right on the pier front. The guy that was in charge when I was there was excellent. Everyone there was great and very friendly. We went out to the reef and had a blast. Saw a lot of neat coral and fish. As posted above we left about 9:00am or so and got back for lunch. We were in like 30 feet of water and didn't have a real long boat ride.
If you google "dive duck key" it will come right up.

...you mean the Rolesville 'Fantasy Lake' quary? Lol. Thats wbere i got my c card. Good ol days. Lol.

.... Neither are great dives but beat a NC quarry.

That's tough, as the Marine Sanctuary goes from Biscayne National Park all the way to the Dry Tortugas and out to 300 feet deep.
I didn't know that. Maybe the guy I contacted either thought I was a tech. diver or knows of some rare shallower place. Either way, $600 for him to take me was not an option for me.

Love the diving down there, a nice change from Hawaii or Northern California. There are bunch of wrecks within rec depths, just outside the reef edge, and several reef dives along the edge. The rides are short and the prices cheap. Looe Key Sanctuary is another pretty cool site and best accessed from one of the dive ops that leaves from Summerland or Big Pine, about a 25 mile drive north of Key West. Oddly, I'm told by a local that the viz effects of Irma are still seen out at the reef edge. Hope to check that out myself in a week or so.

I am the pretty type..lol

Few resort places told me shore diving is available. Guess they're not as informed as they suggest.
Mostly looking for quick dives (like one or two dives then get back to fam for the day - type of a trip).
I am not a novice, would say bout 300 dives, varying vis from 50' to no viz, from water temp 85F to 35F or so. Mostly fresh water diving.
Qs:
1. No shore diving means shore waters too shallow or prohibited?
2. Are all trips full day trips, or do they have morning or half day too? Trying to assess cost associated with each type and how much time each trip may take.
3. Does one have go reserve well ahead of time or just arrive and find operator to take you out?

I will have half time in key west and other half in key largo.

Thanks for pointers.
I frequent Key Largo on weekends when I travel to Miami for business. I highly recommend Key Dives in Islamorada. On Key Largo I frequent Rainbow Reef Dive Center, a larger outfit but very well run with great guides, really good scuba sites and some great wreck dives. Two of my favorites are the Benwood and the Spiegel Grove. The Benwood is shallow and the Siegel is at 100' at the bridge.
The Benwood: Spiegel Grove:
The thing about shore dives in the Keys, is that typically there just isn't much to see right off the shore. The reefs are out a few miles off shore.
You might also look into John Pennykamp State Park at Key Largo. There are several mangrove canals worth exploring on SUP, or kayak and you might even see a Manatee. Keep an eye out for Horseshoe Crabs too, very strange critters.
You'll find some shore dives further up North at Ft. Lauderdale and points north. One of my favorites is Blue Heron Bridge up in Jupiter, but plan on hitting 1/2 hour before high tide.
If you shore dive, be sure to bring a surface marker. It's the law.
Good luck, and enjoy!
Oh! One more thing. Be sure to stop at Lazy Days Restaurant on the way north for Lion Fish!

Last edited:
All this sounds really exciting and I am eager to go now.
Any suggestions for well priced, short duration dive shops that can take you out?
Do I have to book well in advance or just show up with gear and go?
Thank you for your feedback, I want to be well prepared.

It always makes sense to call ahead and make sure the boat is going (or full). You can book at that time. For an excellent hand holding experience, I recommend Dive Key West, and for more off the beaten path, I recommend Finz diving in Key West. Looe Key Reef Resort on Ramrod Key, Key Dives in Islamorada, Conch Republic Divers in Tavenier, and Quiescience in Key Largo are also excellent choices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom