Trip planning questions....will this work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We have booked Blue Manta Oct 20th thru Oct 30th. We leave out of Sorong and end our trip in Ambon. I am working on air travel. It appears cheapest way is to travel from Lit to Houston to Hong Kong to Jakarta then to Sorong. If we land on time in Jakarta it would be at 10:45 pm, we can take a 1am flight on to Sorong , is that enough time to get our bags, go thru customs and then get our next flight? Coming back we can get a flight from Ambon at 1p landing at 7p, out next flight leave at 945p, again enough time? Sure, it would be nice to have an extra day but all I can get off from work is 2 weeks. Any tips or advice is appreciated. Thanks and probably many more questions to come, we have never done a liveaboard before

It depends on which airlines you're flying. Terminal 2 is international (except for Garuda). Garuda flies out of Terminal 3 (int'l & domestic). Lion & other domestic carriers out of Terminal 1 (as of Nov 17). It takes awhile to change terminals with the current terminal configuration, if required. 2 hr connect might be very tight if you have to change terminals. I usually overnight at FM7 hotel in Jakarta after the long flight from LAX, so don't have to worry about a short connect to domestic. Its close to the airport & comfortable. They have shuttle service to the various terminals. In general Garuda has a better on-time record that most of the other domestic carriers. (30 min late is common for domestic flights.) Garuda also gives you an extra 23 kg of sporting equipment (scuba gear) at no cost.

Last edited:
No way should you risk this tight connection at the start of a LOB. We did a trip a few years ago and two passengers took this flight , which was delayed and they missed the start of the trip . The rest of the boat ended up spending many many extra hours in Sorong Harbour and then doing a detour so the two delayed passengers could meet the LOB travelling by a local ferry. We missed diving under the famous pier and the birds of paradise.

Also flying all that way in one go will be absolutely shattering for you.

I do understand that leave allowances in most US jobs are not generous , but please reconsider.

Tippytoes has good advice. Do you really want to miss your pricey LOB? Or be the ones that get staring glares from the others if the boat waits for you? Or spend a bunch of extra $ hiring a speedboat to take you to the departed LOB.? Get into Sorong a day early and miss all of the above.

Yeah, just overnight.

Woo pig!

Billy

Also that way you'll be a bit more refreshed to actually ENJOY that trip you spent so much money on.

I'll go one step further: consider whether it is possible to spend a few days in the area, enough to dive somewhere placid so you can get wet, feel more relaxed, and be really READY and RELAXED for that LOB.

- Bill

Thanks all... I realize the flight will be brutal. We will leave out of LIT on Wed morning and arrive in Jakarta late Thursday night had hoped to get into Sorong as early as possible Friday to recover. Our boat leaves Saturday morning. There is a 545am flight from Jakarta to Sorong and that sounds like a better plan. Didn't want to hang at airport for 6 hours waiting for our next flight. Would love it if we were able to go a day or 2 earlier but work won't allow it. Coming back we can fly from Ambon and arrive in Jakarta at 445pm, connecting flight leaves at 945pm. Will that be enough time?

Last month I flew from Houston to Jakarta using Singapore Airlines (~$700 roundtrip), via Manchester & Singapore, leaving at 6:40pm on Nov 17 & arriving in Jakarta at 10:15am on Nov 19. I took a nap, a shower in FM7 hotel for $50/night before my next domestic flight that evening. You can do similar approach. The hotel rate includes airport pickup & drop off. It is a nice, clean & modern style hotel.

coming back we can fly from Ambon and arrive in Jakarta at 445pm, connecting flight leaves at 945pm. Will that be enough time?

It's doable, but be informed that in my experience the later in the day the more likely you might see flight delays. The delays tend to pile up on each other, creating a snowball effect. And then there is the catch that with your departing international flight they might not appreciate you running up to the check in counter with an hour to spare. They would most likely let you on your flight but your luggage might come later.
Want to save the possible stress? Build in a layover in jakarta, I know your short on time but any chance your boss will understand and give you a personal day?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom