Thousand Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dianna912

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are diving with the Amira in February, and would love to get some advice on itinerary. I have searched the forum but I'm not seeing anything post-pandemic. We are considering arriving in Jakarta 2-3 days early to leave time for any flight issues. We will go to Lembeh when at the end of the trip. Our Itinerary is Sorong to Ternate on the Amira.

For the time in Jakarta, I thought it would be interesting to try to dive the thousand islands. We are perfectly fine with muck diving. We do lots of SE Florida diving, both the beach and the Blue Heron Bridge, so we are used to dive sites that aren't necessarily awe-inspiring. We would most likely be looking at Sunday to Tuesday for the Thousand Islands leg of trip. Any suggestions? Gabrielle (Amira) says we should just get a hotel in Jakarta and go to the spa, lol. The Amira leaves Wednesday and the only Jakarta to Sorong flights would be at midnight Tuesday night. (Yay sleep deprivation!)

We are diving with the Amira in February, and would love to get some advice on itinerary. I have searched the forum but I'm not seeing anything post-pandemic. We are considering arriving in Jakarta 2-3 days early to leave time for any flight issues. We will go to Lembeh when at the end of the trip. Our Itinerary is Sorong to Ternate on the Amira.

For the time in Jakarta, I thought it would be interesting to try to dive the thousand islands. We are perfectly fine with muck diving. We do lots of SE Florida diving, both the beach and the Blue Heron Bridge, so we are used to dive sites that aren't necessarily awe-inspiring. We would most likely be looking at Sunday to Tuesday for the Thousand Islands leg of trip. Any suggestions? Gabrielle (Amira) says we should just get a hotel in Jakarta and go to the spa, lol. The Amira leaves Wednesday and the only Jakarta to Sorong flights would be at midnight Tuesday night. (Yay sleep deprivation!)
I did my OW certification in Jakarta back in 2016 and the open water dives (4 dives) were in Sepa Island (one of the "thousand" islands). It is a few years back and yes we were primarily busy doing the certification stuff but from what I remember we saw maybe 5 fish in total :) Diving there was VERY unimpressive - that's what I remember. Add to this the transport to/from Jakarta (3 hours per way if not mistaken) and that you will only have very few days to spend.

I think Gabrielle is right. You'd better spend your time relaxing in a nice hotel/spa fighting jetlag and/or do some touristy stuff in Jakarta, other than diving thousand islands.

If not mistaken there are a couple of active Scubaboard members who live in Jakarta and they will be better informed, but I can't recall their usernames to tag them here.

I have been on Amira twice (to Raja Ampat & Forgotten Islands). Sorong to Ternate is a new route. Perhaps you need to as Gabrielle to send you the itinerary, if it is not in their website, Home

I dove in Tong Keng & Putri Islands (part of Thousand Islands) back in 2007. As @stepfen says, not worth spending 6 hour boat ride for a day trip diving there. Just plan to arrive a day early, stay in Anara Airport hotel (upstairs from the International terminal 3) and catch up on your jetlag. There are good Indonesian restaurants in that terminal 3 like Sate Senayan and Bakmi Gajah Mada (specialize in yummy Indonesian noodles). I also enjoy getting a massage in a spa on the same floor of Anara hotel.

I'll be going to Raja Ampat in February 2024. Guess what I plan to do in Jakarta.

I have been on Amira twice (to Raja Ampat & Forgotten Islands). Sorong to Ternate is a new route. Perhaps you need to as Gabrielle to send you the itinerary, if it is not in their website, Home

I dove in Tong Keng & Putri Islands (part of Thousand Islands) back in 2007. As @stepfen says, not worth spending 6 hour boat ride for a day trip diving there. Just plan to arrive a day early, stay in Anara Airport hotel (upstairs from the International terminal 3) and catch up on your jetlag. There are good Indonesian restaurants in that terminal 3 like Sate Senayan and Bakmi Gajah Mada (specialize in yummy Indonesian noodles). I also enjoy getting a massage in a spa on the same floor of Anara hotel.

I'll be going to Raja Ampat in February 2024. Guess what I plan to do in Jakarta.
You had me double checking our itinerary, lol. It is definitely Sorong to Ternate. We'll stick with spa-ing it up in Jakarta. Maybe we'll see you there. I think your posts are what prompted us to book Amira seemingly an eternity ago.

Reactions: Dan
You had me double checking our itinerary, lol. It is definitely Sorong to Ternate. We'll stick with spa-ing it up in Jakarta. Maybe we'll see you there. I think your posts are what prompted us to book Amira seemingly an eternity ago.

I went to Liveaboard.com and found the Amira itinerary here: Amira

We’ll miss each other unfortunately. When you arrive in Ternate, I’ll be landed in Jakarta. I’ll be on Blue Manta for 19-29 February Sorong-Sorong trip.

Please say hi to Nora (CD), Kevin (Assistant CD), DMs (Ading, Paman, Ronald, Meidy) and the rest of the crews for me when you see them. 🙏

I love the Thousand Islands for a weekend getaway. It reminds me a bunch of USA midwest weekend lake life: doing nothing, sun, swimming, read a book, chill, drink beer, more chill... Tiger Island (Pulau Macan Eco Lodge in Kab. Administrasi Kepulauan Seribu, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 14540, Indonesia | Pulau Macan Eco Lodge the best Eco Lodge in Kab. Administrasi Kepulauan Seribu, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 14540, Indonesia) is my favorite. Above water, the 1000 Islands are beautiful.

All that being said, there is zero reason to dive there. It is ridiculously expensive, and there is nothing to see. Really. Unless one is doing Open Water checkouts or Rescue class, no one dives in 1000 Islands.

Despite what you read here, Jakarta is an amazing city, but getting through its complexities ain't easy. With two nights, you could do a little better than holing up in a hotel at the airport. Consider staying near Plaza Indonesia. You will find much to explore.

Screenshot_20230708_172604_Samsung Internet.jpg

Have you considered diving Krakatau Volcano? I've been really itching to dive there, but the weather and sea conditions has been very unfavourable for me when I've been wanting to go.

It's only 2-3 hour drive west of Jakarta, and 1.5 hour speed boat, and I think can be dived on a 1 day trip.

I'm wanting to dive it not so much for spectacular diving, but for the adventure of seeing the Krakatau archipelago and the Sunda Strait, and the active Anak Krakatau Volcano.

I've posted a link of an operator that goes there. Also, I'm sure some posters here have already dived that area.

Enjoy your time in Indonesia!

View attachment 791567

Have you considered diving Krakatau Volcano? I've been really itching to dive there, but the weather and sea conditions has been very unfavourable for me when I've been wanting to go.

It's only 2-3 hour drive west of Jakarta, and 1.5 hour speed boat, and I think can be dived on a 1 day trip.

I'm wanting to dive it not so much for spectacular diving, but for the adventure of seeing the Krakatau archipelago and the Sunda Strait, and the active Anak Krakatau Volcano.

I've posted a link of an operator that goes there. Also, I'm sure some posters here have already dived that area.

Enjoy your time in Indonesia!

I dove in Pulau Sanghiang, Sangiang - Wikipedia near Anak Krakatau. Visibility sucks and also not much to see. You can check several YouTube videos about it (like the one, below) and judge for yourself whether it’s worth to go there.

Here’s more info on sightseeing & diving in Krakatau: KRAKATOA-Has anyone dived or climbed this volcano

Just be aware about diving there can be dangerous due to swift currents: 3 divers missing off of Java

I dove in Pulau Sanghiang, Sangiang - Wikipedia near Anak Krakatau. Visibility sucks and also not much to see. You can check several YouTube videos about it (like the one, below) and judge for yourself whether it’s worth to go there.

Here’s more info on sightseeing & diving in Krakatau: KRAKATOA-Has anyone dived or climbed this volcano

Just be aware about diving there can be dangerous due to swift currents: 3 divers missing off of Java

Krakatau Dive Map.jpg

Hey Dan 👋🏼 Cheers for sharing.

Yeah, it's not solely for the quality of the diving that I would go to Krakatau, it's for the adventure & sightseeing side too.

But I watched some videos and it didn't look too bad, although nearly every video looked like there was some current. I'm pretty certain that a dive operator would take you to a more sheltered dive site if you requested it, if strong currents are an issue. And the beaches and small bays look like nice.

And there's more than a few dive sites, but I think the better ones are on the Lampung/Sumatra side of the Sunda Strait.

From what I've researched, the visibility isn't always amazing. But here's an example, a couple of months ago I went for a dive in Perth in what's usually the best time of the year to go, and I've had some of my best dives ever here. On that day though, I encountered the worst visibility I've ever had, barely 1 metre! My dive buddy and I, end up lost and surfacing 100 metres from the boat, and he came all the way from Dubai but was just unlucky this particular day.

Reactions: Dan
I used to do Advanced Open Water classes in the crater of Krakatoa. In fact, I usually did the night adventure dive along the shore of Anak Krakatau. as long as we were allowed to be that close. Surfacing during a clear night next to a very active volcano is quite an experience.... Anyway, my opinions about diving there are pretty mixed.

Much like the 1000 Islands, the Sunda Straits and the Krakatau crater are awesome above water, at least in terms of a weekend escape from Jakarta. Seeing what remains of the mighty Krakatoa volcano is pretty freakin' cool, and if Anak Krakatau is smoking and making reasonable noise it can be a stunning weekend "camping" and conducting AOW courses. One could leave Jakarta early Saturday, do three dives, sleep on the boat, finish the final two dives the next morning, and be back home Sunday evening with the course completed.

The diving itself is mixed. It is certainly better than the 1000 Islands, but only because the topography of the old volcano is pretty cool for a dive or two, but your mileage may vary.

I took the attached pic during one trip where Anak Krakatau was very active. I have no idea who is doing overnight trips anymore, but if you can find a comfortable boat it is a trip worth taking.

Attachments

• 1936416_1083053368080_669858_n.jpg
    1936416_1083053368080_669858_n.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 57
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom