Swedish diver's body found - Komodo National Park, Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Body of Missing Swedish Diver Found in Komodo National Park
Jakarta. The body of a Swedish diver was found by a tourist boat near Sebayur Kecil Island in Komodo National Park, East Nusa Tenggara, on Tuesday (02/01), local police said.

Patrice Cyrille Maria Worth, 76, went missing on Dec. 27.

“According to preliminary identification, the body found on Tuesday was the Swedish tourist who drowned a few days ago,” Manggarai Police chief Adj. Com. Julisa Kusumowardono said on Wednesday, as quoted by Antara News Agency.

He added that the remains were taken to Siloam Hospitals in Labuan Bajo for further identification.

Worth went missing on Dec. 27 in the waters off Mauwan Island, while diving with 17 other tourists.

For some reason the Komodo deaths always hit me harder. Condolences to his family and friends.

If this article is accurate, looks like he went missing during an afternoon (3 PM) dive from a liveaboard, possibly on the first dive day of his trip (article says they left Labuan Bajo 8 PM on Tu).

Original article: Waduh! Hilang Saat Diving Wisatawan Asal Swedia Patrice Belum Ditemukan - Pos Kupang
Translation by google translate: https://translate.googleusercontent...emukan&usg=ALkJrhg78b5-kOufWRHwRj0EIdAaXOF9Ug

POS-KUPANG.COM | LABUAN BAJO - Patrice Cyrille Marie Worth (76), from Sweden , has not been found by the search team until Thursday (28/12/2017).

The tourist was missing on Wednesday (27/12/2017) in the Komodo National Park (TNK), precisely around the island of Mawan, while diving or diving, enjoy the beauty of the underwater.

The ship used when departing from Labuan Bajo , namely KM Ombak Biru, GT. 219 Indonesian flag.

The victim along with other passengers on the ship, departing from Labuan Bajo on Tuesday (26/12/2017), at around 08.00 pm.

[...]They go to KNP to do Diving in some spots or dive sites.

On Wednesday (27/12/2017), at around 15:00 pm, they did the diving. But the victim did not return-back to the surface.

The ABK sought the help of the Sebayur resort and the citizens of Messah Island to help search but did not succeed.

Caripun continued on Thursday (12/28/2017) and has not been found.

The joint team that conducts the escape consists of SAR, Polair, Navy, syahbandar and citizens.

In addition to the fleet of SAR and other team members, several fishing vessels and tourist boats also helped. (*)

---------------------------------

Not sure how accurate this article is since it gets the day he was found wrong, but according to this he was found floating at the surface.

Swedish tourist found dead in sea off Indonesia`s Komodo Island - ANTARA News
The body was found floating in the sea by a tourist boat off the island of Sebayur Kecil, not far from the island of Mauwan, where he had declared missing .

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason the Komodo deaths always hit me harder. Condolences to his family and friends.

If this article is accurate, looks like he went missing during an afternoon (3 PM) dive from a liveaboard, possibly on the first dive day of his trip (article says they left Labuan Bajo 8 PM on Tu).

Original article: Waduh! Hilang Saat Diving Wisatawan Asal Swedia Patrice Belum Ditemukan - Pos Kupang
Translation by google translate: https://translate.googleusercontent...emukan&usg=ALkJrhg78b5-kOufWRHwRj0EIdAaXOF9Ug

POS-KUPANG.COM | LABUAN BAJO - Patrice Cyrille Marie Worth (76), from Sweden , has not been found by the search team until Thursday (28/12/2017).

The tourist was missing on Wednesday (27/12/2017) in the Komodo National Park (TNK), precisely around the island of Mawan, while diving or diving, enjoy the beauty of the underwater.

The ship used when departing from Labuan Bajo , namely KM Ombak Biru, GT. 219 Indonesian flag.

The victim along with other passengers on the ship, departing from Labuan Bajo on Tuesday (26/12/2017), at around 08.00 pm.

[...]They go to KNP to do Diving in some spots or dive sites.

On Wednesday (27/12/2017), at around 15:00 pm, they did the diving. But the victim did not return-back to the surface.

The ABK sought the help of the Sebayur resort and the citizens of Messah Island to help search but did not succeed.

Caripun continued on Thursday (12/28/2017) and has not been found.

The joint team that conducts the escape consists of SAR, Polair, Navy, syahbandar and citizens.

In addition to the fleet of SAR and other team members, several fishing vessels and tourist boats also helped. (*)

---------------------------------

Not sure how accurate this article is since it gets the day he was found wrong, but according to this he was found floating at the surface.

Swedish tourist found dead in sea off Indonesia`s Komodo Island - ANTARA News
The body was found floating in the sea by a tourist boat off the island of Sebayur Kecil, not far from the island of Mauwan, where he had declared missing .

Thanks for the link. Google Translate still needs some work. ABK = crew. KNP = TNK = Komodo Park area. No such “Caripun” word exist in Indonesian. Perhaps it got butchered from “Pencarianpun” which means “the search”. Basically, they continued the search on Thursday, Dec. 28.

“Waduh” simply means “Ouch!”, like the word coming out of your mouth when your head hits a glass door while walking & texting. This is the first time I’ve seen it used in a title of an article. I guess to draw attention to the reader.

From what I gather, the boat left Labuan Bajo harbor at 8am on Tuesday, Dec.26, He had never surface after 3pm diving on Dec.27. The crew (ABK) with the helps of Sebayur Resort employees and some residents of Messah island searched the area on that same day. Search team continued the search on the next day without success. The deceased body was found floating 5 days later by a tourist boat near Sebayur Kecil island.

Last edited:
Hi All!

I been following the page for years, but never posted anything cause had no info to share, in this case, I had a friend on that trip. The boat was the Aggressor, first day of the live aboard, dive at Mawan with perfect conditions and visibility, the divemaster turned around and the man was gone, they started the search but no success. They decided to cancel the trip and everybody went home, apparently the family of the man was diving with him :( R.I.P and condolences to the family.

Condolences to the family & friends. Thanks for the update.

Unless he was a certified solo diver, it’s another example of the importance of buddy system & keeping an eye of each other throughout the diving. DM is just a guide, unless he / she was specifically assigned to be also a buddy for that particular diver.

Another thing I learnt from older diver after a long flight, we need to self evaluating our fitness for diving on the next day. Do we see any swelling in our legs? Hydration & stretching during the flight are good ways to avoid potential swelling in legs due to potential blood clotting after long hours of sitting.

One of my dive buddy had breathing problem after a 30-hour trip back from Indonesia to USA last month & had to go to the emergency due to pulmonary embolism (blood clots in the lung). Luckily he survived the ordeal without surgery. I think blood thinning medication help to reduce the blot clots. I am on blood thinning med so I didn’t have such problem.

I dived Mawan 2 days before and 2 days after the incident. Vis in that area generally around 10m to 15m or so.

There's a lot of mantas around and some of the action is around cleaning stations with fast current.

Saw one BASARNAS search boat a couple of days after. Don't think there's any helicopters or much in the way of assets doing the search. There's a ton of tourist and dive boats everywhere...

First trip I did with a PLB in my BCD pocket.. glad I bought it

I just heard about this accident from a friend who was a crew member on board. The victim was a man of 76 years. His last dives were 6 years prior and were his 4 open water check out dives! Crew didn’t want the responsibility, but management voiced that he was credentialed and had to take him. Accident occured on the 3rd dive of the 1st day of the trip. The dive group consisted of victims daughter, son in law and 2 young adult grandchildren. He was noticed missing by the dive leader early on (family/buddy was distracted with photos and such) and immediately ended the dive and started the search. Body recovered 7 days later without gear (stolen?)except for dive computer logged last dive at 70+- ft for 999mins. My 2 cents says he suffered an “event” likely unrelated to diving (stroke, blood clot, heart attack....etc). So sad...

The victim was a man of 76 years. His last dives were 6 years prior and were his 4 open water check out dives!
I admire his spirit, but that was unreasonable planning on his part. I'm sure his family was devastated.

Like @NatashaS, Komodo events also hit me harder than others. I have been following this thread and now see they found him. I hope that brings closure to his family. I can’t imagine how awful that must have been and continues to be for them. I hope the crew, especially the DM, are not giving themselves a hard time about it. There is only so much one can do.

The victim was a man of 76 years. His last dives were 6 years prior and were his 4 open water check out dives! Crew didn’t want the responsibility, but management voiced that he was credentialed and had to take him.

Wow.

Such a shame to read about this tragic event ! Our sincere condolences go to his family.

I must say that i feel we have to dive regularly to keep us dive fit , heads straight ,dive routines fresh, and to ensure our equipment gets regular services and checks. I would really not dive after having not dived for such a long period.

I hope i can still dive at that age !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom