The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's my setup with the FP Contour (latest edition, Model IV) and the VDH 33# wing, rigged for heavy neoprene. Since I have thigh pockets on my drysuit, this is the same arrangement for thin wetsuit diving, except that I'd just remove the hanging thigh pockets attached to that thin fixed D-ring behind the weight pouches. Ditchable weight pouches are OMS. Very secure - minimal chance of losing weights.
I carry half on belt, and half in these pockets.

Can post Dive Gear Express part numbers for those interested. Webbing came from Piranha - just the right stiffness.

Yeah, more D-rings than DIR.
Bent fixed D on top, movable D's in lower position on shoulder, behind @Akimbo 's hip position rollers, and on belt and crotch strap. As you can see, Akimbo's roller gives me about 4-5" of loosening for each shoulder strap, before the weight pocket keeper hits the plate.

Crotch strap is soft 2" webbing.
The corrugated hose is tethered by folding a woman's SCRUNCI hair tie in the grooves of the hose, and tying a bit of 550 cord to the two folded loops. The 550-cord is trapped in a simple keeper by a figure-eight knot in one end.

Cam band (barely) has room for trim pocket. Empty with steel, a little with Aluminum.

When attaching the plate to the 33# wing, the upper STA rods are too long. I cut the top edge of the rod pocket, burned/sealed the edges, and removed the STA rods. The lower rods fit under the plate rails without modification. This way, you can slide the rods back in place if you ever decide to use the 33# wing with Brand X's flat plate. :eek:

When using the steel FP Contour with the 18# VDH wing, the rods are short enough to just be folded inside the rails. Will post those pics in a week or so. That arrangement is minimalist, with fewer D-rings and no ditchable pockets. The 4lb plate and a whiff of lead on a belt are all I need for my 5mm warm water neoprene.

With this setup and an 8/7 wetsuit, I carry 14# plus the plate, divided between belt and BP/W. This gives me some lead to ditch if I have a wing failure, and some on my waist belt in case I'm caught in kelp and don't want to float away in my wetsuit while doing a doff and don.

For those who dive BP/W's, this is all old hat, or meat for an argument. :poke:
But for those waiting for their shiny Freedom Contour, the pics might help.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Others have indeed requested an itemized parts list. Here you go:

Dive Gear Express:
  • Cam bands (2) - DR-BC2035xx (where xx is size) ($35)
  • Upper Shoulder (2) - Bent D-ring on slide - DX60251 ($2)
  • Lower shoulder (2), crotch strap (1), belt (1), inside Akimbo rollers (2), heavy 2” D-rings - DX60244 ($1)
  • 6 smooth keepers for above D-rings (Akimbo rollers don't have keepers) - DX605020 ($0.75)
  • Ten extra serrated keepers - adjacent to scooter D-ring on crotch strap (to prevent slip) and serrated keepers on adjustable portion of crotch strap - DX605066 ($0.75)
  • DGX Offset S/S Rigid D-Ring (2) - placed behind weight pouch to suspend thigh pocket - DX-602504 ($2)
  • Belt buckle heavy duty 2” SS - DX60401 ($4)
  • Plastic Slide-Release Buckle for crotch strap, 2” ($2) - DX-605220
  • OMS ditchable weight pouches (30 lb) OMS-11918004 ($120/ pair)
Leisure Pro:
  • Scubapro X-Tec weight pockets ($40/pr) for trim weights on cam bands
  • IF DESIRED: 2" shoulder strap pads: DIV1086B ($18/pr)
Piranha Dive Manufacturing:
Crotch strap soft webbing:
Flat Nylon Webbing (2-Inch) - Strapworks
($0.69/ft)

Home Depot:
½” grey PVC 6” riser (for Akimbo rollers) - SKU #155055 ($0.82). Cut 2" lengths and bevel inside of ends to match contour of D-rings.
Loctite five minute two-part epoxy, SKU #677156 ($6) - fills the hacksaw kerf from fitting the D-ring to the roller better than PVC cement.

If price is an issue, less expensive cam bands and weight pockets are available. But the choices above offered the attachment security I was after. After all, it's the Rolex of backplates! :callme:

Last edited:
Others have indeed requested an itemized parts list. Here you go:

Dive Gear Express:
  • Cam bands (2) - DR-BC2035xx (where xx is size) ($35)
  • Upper Shoulder (2) - Bent D-ring on slide - DX60251 ($2)
  • Lower shoulder (2), crotch strap (1), belt (1), inside Akimbo rollers (2), heavy 2” D-rings - DX60244 ($1)
  • 6 smooth keepers for above D-rings (Akimbo rollers don't have keepers) - DX605020 ($0.75)
  • Ten extra serrated keepers - adjacent to scooter D-ring on crotch strap (to prevent slip) and serrated keepers on adjustable portion of crotch strap - DX605066 ($0.75)
  • DGX Offset S/S Rigid D-Ring (2) - placed behind weight pouch to suspend thigh pocket - DX-602504 ($2)
  • Belt buckle heavy duty 2” SS - DX60401 ($4)
  • Plastic Slide-Release Buckle for crotch strap, 2” ($2) - DX-605220
  • OMS ditchable weight pouches (30 lb) OMS-11918004 ($120/ pair)
Leisure Pro:
  • Scubapro X-Tec weight pockets ($40/pr) for trim weights on cam bands
  • IF DESIRED: 2" shoulder strap pads: DIV1086B ($18/pr)
Piranha Dive Manufacturing:
Crotch strap soft webbing:
Flat Nylon Webbing (2-Inch) - Strapworks
($0.69/ft)

Home Depot:
½” grey PVC 6” riser (for Akimbo rollers) - SKU #155055 ($0.82). Cut 2" lengths and bevel inside of ends to match contour of D-rings.
Loctite five minute two-part epoxy, SKU #677156 ($6) - fills the hacksaw kerf from fitting the D-ring to the roller better than PVC cement.

If price is an issue, less expensive cam bands and weight pockets are available. But the choices above offered the attachment security I was after. After all, it's the Rolex of backplates! :callme:
Did you sew your own crotch strap from the soft webbing? I am on the fence about sewing my own because I don't know how tough it is on the sewing machine needle., or which machine needle I should buy to sew it. I have to make three, possibly more, so it would save a bit of money to sew my own. Thank you so much for the list! I will post my own list when I finish, as it may vary for certain applications.

it would save a bit of money to sew my own
Sewing awl.
602118.jpg

Did you sew your own crotch strap from the soft webbing?

So far, I've just used three serrated keepers (2 in back, 1 under front plastic buckle) while I fine-tune needed length with both drysuit and 7mm neoprene. I think you could go either way. The softer webbing could be handled by a standard machine using heavy button thread (though I'm using a sailmakers sewing machine with Dacron thread). But I think you could also just do it with keepers. I used serrated ones to make sure it doesn't slip, but scootering will be the only time it's under any strain.

Last edited:
Just use a serrated triglide, $.75 @ DGX. I also found p/u and similar glues work fairly well on the webbing, just squeeze the seam in a clamp for curing. Shoe Goo and Freesole are the ones I used before, I expect there are others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom