The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok great!
Thanks for that info.
Eric, for the Apeks Wing (which is similar to the Mares, but in 18lb, 30lb and 40lb versions), I found the grommet holes and top cam bands lined up perfectly on the new FC backplate. But the bottom cam band slots of the Apeks Wing are really low, and extend 1" lower than the slots on the FC backplate.

Both the Mares and Apeks Wings are beautifully tailored on the tank side to shape around the tank at the top and bottom. Which results in less loss of effective lift when the Wing is inflated.

Are all the grommet holes and slot measurements/configurations the exact same throughout all the different size wings?
The slots are longer on the larger wings. Pictures and details are in the website store.

What part of the top slots in the plate didn't line up with the Mares wing?
And I’m guessing this was with the wing in between the plate and bracket with the bolts going through the 11” center wing grommets into the plate, correct?
Just out of curiosity, can you make the wing slots line up with the plate slots if the wing is layed over the rail bars and not securely fastened under the bracket through the holes?
I want to know so I can make the adjustment, so the Mares can be another wing added to the list of wings that will work no problem under the rail bars, as the new design was intended. I really prefer the idea of both cam bands going through the plate if possible.

Eric

Absolutely love love love the plate. That's why I emailed about wanting two more! So, please know that none of this is meant to discourage you....

"Just out of curiosity, can you make the wing slots line up with the plate slots if the wing is layed over the rail bars and not securely fastened under the bracket through the holes?" Yes, the wing's slots are far enough apart ctc (see below) such that the wing will work without modification to the plate.

So far I've only used the plate with the wing sandwiched between the plate and the rails AND running the tank straps through both the plate and the wing. If it were important to me to mount the plate in the upper Mares holes I could do that by routing the tank straps through either just around the rail bars or sandwiched between the wing and the plate.

For the two wings with narrow tank strap slots that I've used (Mares XR 22 and the VDH18), neither of them can be used in this configuration with the wing mounted in the upper set of holes on the wing. As you know, the VDH doesn't really work in this configuration without modification of the plate. (Deep 6 20lb wing has nice long slots but is limited to the upper holes by the dump valve position.)

Plate has two sets of tank band slots. Upper is about 2.25 inches long. Lower is about 2.75 inches long. These slot lengths are not long enough to allow for anything other than a single mounting point to work in the described configuration.
Mares XR22 has about 1.5 inches ctc for the mounting holes so the slots would need to be a minimum of 3.75 inches?
VDH18 is about 1.375 ctc.
One big difference between the two: CTC for the tank straps slots.
Mares XR22 is about 7.75 inches
VDH18 is about 5.5 inches

If you want some specific pictures and or measurements let me know. Also happy to send the Mares to you so you can play with it.

Not a family of FPs like @Francesea but how about a couple!

4F84B08B-9151-4FBB-AA4D-5A71A79EFEB4.jpeg

@uncfnp is that a hair elastic holding your flashlight? Here I am bungling my bungee bindings and there is this is a simpler solution. Thanks!

@uncfnp is that a hair elastic holding your flashlight? Here I am bungling my bungee bindings and there is this is a simpler solution. Thanks!
Sorry Francesea its a brownish length of bungee. But if you have a heavy duty band no reason it shouldn’t work. I have a swivel bolt snap tied to my light and when using I clip it to a hair band around my wrist.

Not a family of FPs like @Francesea but how about a couple!

View attachment 437951

The near flashlight holder looks like bungee cord, but is the far one thicker surgical tubing ?

I use surgical tubing for flashlight holders. A reef knot tied as tight as possible holds.
Black Surgical Tubing - Small {3/16 in | 0.5 cm} per {1 ft | 30.5 cm}

Drove up to Santa Rosa and picked up my plate from Eric. Can't wait to fit it with the new VDH 23# wing and see how it performs.

The plate is a sturdy and solid piece of beauty. A bit heavier than I thought but it is still way lighter than my current set up.

The wing from VDH is really small that I was really surprised by it. When @TASCPA said it disappears, I am a believer now.

Back
Top Bottom