men's shorts for under a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are wearing a "good fitting" wetsuit with long pant legs, a baggy bathing suit is not the best option and may be quite uncomfortable. We offer two under wetsuit bathing suits that work well.

A speedo type suit is probably the most popular for freedivers, but a lot of people want a little more coverage.

Under Wetsuit Briefs | MAKO Spearguns

MUWB-2T.jpg

the "jammers" are also popular:
Under Wetsuit Jammers

MUWJ-2T.jpg

Regardless of which suit you decide to wear under the wetsuit, you can always wear a pair of baggi's over either one of these suits for the time before and after the dive. after removing the wetsuit, you can dry off with a towel and these suits do not absorb much water and will dry reasonably quickly.

For the tropics, I either wear a normal swimsuit and dive skin, or a pair of cheap mesh gym shorts under a 3mm fullsuit.

go with the jammers, unless if you want to rock the speedos and have people assume you are from germany

It might not be "flattering," and I might not have the physique for it, but I wear a "Speedo" style competition swimsuit under my dive skin or wetsuit, because standard swim trunks just bunch up too much underneath such things.

but on my first trip in Egypt I was politely (but forcefully) informed that seeing my naked butt was not appreciated and that I needed to cover that **** up.

And I'm sure we all appreciate the Egyptians for that... ;-)

My husband wears jammers under his wetsuit and puts board shorts on over them before and after the dive.

... I'm too much of a prude to sit around with assorted strangers in my Speedo.
Generally by the time they get into your speedo, they aren't strangers anymore...at least where I come from.

Regardless, I just wear swim trunks. They are likely called board shorts since they are baggy and hang down to my knees. They awkwardly hang out the legs of my shorty. My dive buddy points and laughs but gets real quite when I suggest I would look better in a speedo.

I wear nothing or public appropriate shorts. They bunch up and are somewhat uncomfortable but they keep me from scandalizing the innocent and allow me to strip freely. I'm too much of a prude to sit around with assorted strangers in my Speedo.

Back in the 70s and 80s some of us used to wear Speedos under our wetsuits but wore regular swim trunks over them when "hanging out" so as to not have anything hanging out (or clearly obvious). I go through a lot of swim trunks so I just get whatever WalMart has in Closeout. So far nobody has made fun of my pineapple shorts. In general I have not found divers to be a particularly modest group (at least until I read the TripAdvisor review about Pedro peeing off the stern) but I somehow doubt if many people would be offended if some of the divers went completely natural under their wetsuits, as long as no children were present while they were changing. Perhaps someone should take a poll.

Back in the 70s and 80s some of us used to wear Speedos under our wetsuits but wore regular swim trunks over them when "hanging out" so as to not have anything hanging out (or clearly obvious). I go through a lot of swim trunks so I just get whatever WalMart has in Closeout. So far nobody has made fun of my pineapple shorts. In general I have not found divers to be a particularly modest group (at least until I read the TripAdvisor review about Pedro peeing off the stern) but I somehow doubt if many people would be offended if some of the divers went completely natural under their wetsuits, as long as no children were present while they were changing. Perhaps someone should take a poll.

As long as you keep your poll away from my nudity we're all ok.

...my current wetsuit underwear board shorts are turquoise and orange palm trees... Best I could get for a quarter. Turns out 25 cents doesn't go very far on fashion these days.

Between different cultures practices vary, in a new boat of divers (often from various countries) I generally watched to see what's the norm.... Wouldn't want to drop the ball on cultural sensitivity.

Perhaps in summary, wear whatever you feel comfortable in, and if it's too little, put more on if someone freaks out. Underwear fashion doesn't need to be an issue among dives. Were wear white socks with sandals if you like topside!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom