Shanghai diver drowns in Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was leaving Anilao when I heard the news from my local dive guide. He said that the word among Filipinos in the dive business was that the diver wasn't very experienced, but opted for a dive at a site at Verde Island which is really more appropriate for rather experienced divers, due to currents and downwellings. Others had reported downwellings there that day, so the locals suspect that may have been a factor.

Verde Island has some if the most treacherous currents and waves. It can be a nightmare trying to get back on the boat. I can totally see why this happened. I was there last year and had similar difficulties when surfacing. Your buddy is more likely trying to save themselves than even be able to think of you.

This is no beginner’s dive site.

That approach will get you in trouble in cold water. Your thick wetsuit is compressed and is balanced by your BCD, so when you dump your air you’ll sink like a rock.

Good to know! I have only experience in warm water with 3mm full, but mostly shorty or rash guard and shorts.

Verde Island has some if the most treacherous currents and waves. It can be a nightmare trying to get back on the boat. I can totally see why this happened. I was there last year and had similar difficulties when surfacing. Your buddy is more likely trying to save themselves than even be able to think of you.

Have you been to the Hammerhead Site from Maui? I'm curious how it compares, as far as getting back on the boat.

The site, underwater, is pretty calm, but once on the surface, the waves are really choppy and the boat itself has a hard time maintaining its position. The reboarding plan is to grab onto a line the boat tosses. Everyone hangs onto the tank in front of them and onto the line. Masks and regs stay in. When the boat signals, the first person makes a swim toward the boat, hand over hand with the line. Just before reaching the ladder, fins are taken off and handed to a crew member. Another crew member helps the diver up the ladder. The process repeats until every diver is aboard. If during this process, the boat starts to get close to the rocks, the process is stopped, all remaining divers are told to hang onto the line, spread out, and are dragged as the boat repositions. Getting dragged is no picnic!

I have not dived in Maui.

At Verde Island, we surfaced into a major chop. About 2-5 feet. I could barely see the boat which has ropes attached to the pontoon bars with loops at the end of each rope. You try and swim to a loop and leap to catch it. Then grab the next closest rope until you’re near the ladder. You are completely on your own. Each diver for themselves. It was no fun. Just remember that the boat is heaving while you’re jumping. My buddy ended up on the port side while I was hanging on one of the starboard loops. Complete flustercuck.

Our experience was similar and that was on a day when the weather was good
....the Sabang Beach dive ops keep a close eye on the forecast when scheduling trips to Verde. I agee that this could easily happen to an inexperienced diver and there are a lot of those in Sabang.

Only the chinese instructor who was leading that group can answer the question if the victim was up to the challenge.
Downwelling might be the reason for aborting the dive but once the divers were on the surface the effect is much less significance.
There is always lee side from the current under water in Verde Island and experienced dm/boatman will know where to drop off the divers.
The surface condition can be very rough but if you have your bc inflated and NOT overweight, there is nothing to worry about. Inflate your smb and wait for the boat to pick you up.

I have worked as a dm on many verde island trips. Verde island has a moderate current going around the island. To be totally honest, I have seen the training and standards of the dive training that is given, and have questioned their instructors many times. The biggest issue I see, is the lack of water skills assessments done! It s treated as a joke in their community that they don’t need to do them! The certifying orginisation is fully aware these courses are being rushed, as the sheer volume of divers getting certified by just a single instructor over the duration of national holiday. I have know instructors to certify an o.w diver in one and a half days! Absolute madness!

The
Our experience was similar and that was on a day when the weather was good
....the Sabang Beach dive ops keep a close eye on the forecast when scheduling trips to Verde. I agee that this could easily happen to an inexperienced diver and there are a lot of those in Sabang.
whole area has become a hazard zone! Such a potty it was a lovely place to dive 5 years ago.

Verde Island is still a lovely place to dive if the surface condition is right and the divers are EXPERIENCED.
Unfortunately the place is infested with unscrupulous instructors and operators mainly cater for two countries. Philippines Immigration should come down and check if all these instructors have proper working permit!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom