• On my left wrist, so I have one on each wrist

Votes: 43 76.8%
  • In my pocket

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Does not apply, I use tables or use tables for backup

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When i have one its on my left wrist. Doesn't even have to be a tec dive. sometimes I'll throw on a hollis dg02 just to keep myself refreshed on how it works since thats what is rented to ow students of the instructor I help.

OC Cave, shallower than 150', my backup is my watch (a Casio G shock, on my left wrist).
OC Cave, deeper than 150', my backup is a bottom timer on my left arm.
CCR anything, my controller which has a petrel is on my left arm, my perdix, which becomes my backup, is on my right.

Primary on right, backup on left. Right side set conservatively, left side set aggressively. (Left side is "Plan B" side; something went pear-shaped, and I need to get out as fast as possible with acceptable risk for one reason or another, maybe a bit hurt if I'm unlucky.)

I agree, primary on left wrist and backup on right

Primary left (like your watch), backup on right. Most people I know have primary on left.

Now that I think about it...I just responded to the questions asked by the poll and didn't realize its inherent bias.

I originally had my primary VR3 on the left, and a backup Nitrox-only computer (usually "bent" after the day's first dive, and used with backup tables) on the right. But I found the VR3 more awkward to manipulate left-handed, so when I got the Petrel I put it on the right and used the Petrel as primary. At this point, as I've been diving that way for some years, I am unlikely to switch back even though I just got a Perdix and will relegate the Petrel as secondary on the left side. I won't have the strong visual cue of the very different look and display to help me look at the correct one and re-form my habits at this point.

If I'd bought two Shearwater computers to start with, I'd most likely have my primary on the left and secondary on the right. (I think the Predator was fairly new when I got the VR3 but I got a BTS special on the VR3--you could trade in any computer that lit up and get a sharply discounted price. My sister was happy to trade her air-only computer for one of my Nitrox computers so I could take advantage of this, and we both won!)

With my REVO breather its Predator on left, and Revo dream on right, so as I wear a backup computer, its on my right wrist.

But I was taught right from start to wear main on left, backup on right

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom