Help me choose a once-in-a-lifetime SCUBA trip!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmassey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello!

I am making a tremendous change in my life. After 20 years, I'm stepping back from the business I started. I plan on taking the next two years and seeing what happens! :)

To mark the occasion, I would like to take a once-in-a-lifetime SCUBA trip. I've looked at a number of options, but I could *really* use some help (and ideas!) from some people who have actually experienced these things. You can only do once-in-a-lifetime things once, and I don't want to use that one opportunity to find it was a mistake!

This is a long post -- it's what I do -- so thank you for your attention! :) If you don't want to read all this, then just tell me about the one trip you would do if it were your last SCUBA trip ever. But below is a little more about me and what I'm looking for.

In the past, my trips have been time-limited, both in length and in destination. I've rarely been able to take more than a few days off, so I've been limited to shorter trips and in the Eastern US timezone: nearly all in Flordia. Before, I had reasonably unlimited resources but very limited time. Now, it's the exact opposite: I have very flexible time, but limited resources! :) I would like to keep the entire trip cost to the neighborhood of $4000 USD. I can take up to a two week or so trip. My wife is literally demanding I take this trip, but I do still have a wife and kids, and don't really want to leave them for more than that. They don't dive, and unless the location happens to be a place that *she* would take a once-in-a-lifetime trip to (and drag small children), I will be doing it alone.

A little bit about my SCUBA training: I've been diving since 1992, seriously since 2006. I have something over 300 dives since then. Certs: PADI Master / TDI Advanced Wreck / Advanced Nitrox / Deco Procedures / Cavern / Intro Cave. I dive BP/W and OC doubles exclusively, and usually in a drysuit -- I only dive wet on vacation. I've never traveled with a drysuit, but for something like this I could try if I needed to.

My diving passion is wrecks. I've done the traverse on the Spiegel Grove and the engine room and galley on the Duane in Key Largo, and I've been all over the Captain Dan and RSB1 in Pompano Beach, for example. Not the Andrea Doria, but I enjoy penetrating wrecks. I've had a handful of reef dives that have wowed me (Molasses Reef or Looe Key when the conditions are superb), but after about 15-20 minutes of your average reef dive my mind is wandering. I've easily done 50+ reef dives off the coast of Pompano Beach, FL, for example. So unless the reefs are consistently stunning, such a trip would not be my focus.

Also, I have zero fear of boats or the water, but I'm not a great sailor. Long boat rides do not please me. Anything over an hour trip out would need to have a pretty good reason for me to do it. With drugs I'm good to something like 4'-6' seas, but 6' is the limit.

I'm a reasonably hardy and adventurous traveler. Within the past 5 years I've stayed in lowest-end motels, hostels, sparse Airbnb spare rooms, bunkhouses, and I've even done multiple weekend camping/diving trips in a tent or sleeping out of my Dodge Journey, but all in the US and Canada -- I have almost no international experience. Intentionally planning on sleeping in an airport is not something I want to do, but if it's the only way to do the trip, I would consider it. I don't need fancy, comfortable or even normal. I do need *safe*: I have a family to come home to.

My first series of research (affordable world-class wreck diving) led me to a liveaboard out of Hurghada, Egypt. (The Emperor Superior, for example.) $1500-$1600 seems to be a decent budget for a week trip onboard for the right trip. The big problem is travel: $1500 round-trip from DTW to HRG, 2 *full* days of flights and layovers to get there, *3* full days to get home -- and virtually guaranteed multiple overnight layovers sleeping in an airport. 5 days of hard travel for 5 1/2 days of diving seems... a tough balance.

I've thought about Mexican Rivera for cave diving, but I'm not yet full cave and I sure would like to *be* full cave before doing such a trip. And while I like caves, I prefer wrecks. I've thought about Truk/Chuuk Lagoon: the timing would be *great* for getting away from cold Michigan winter, but the price seems to be beyond my budget. $2500 flights take a big bite. Bonaire is doable, but I think I would like more than just reefs for my once-in-a-lifetime trip.

So, here's where I'm looking to you. I'm looking for any suggestions you might have. If you had up to two weeks and a few thousand dollars to spend on an unforgettable dive vacation, where would you go? Especially if you love wrecks! :) Any travel-related suggestions would also be appreciated -- anything to extend my budget or broaden my horizons!

Thank you for reading my long post. I appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Truk Lagoon; Blue Lagoon Dive Shop: Take an economy non-stop from DTW to Honolulu. Collect your gear and layover a day or two to acclimate to the time change and lose some of the travel fatigue. Then grab your gear (cheating the airlines out of the chance to lose it) and board an island hopper (United) from Honolulu to Chuuk. Might seem more expensive to do it this way but most often it's not. R/T airfare and layover hotel about $2,000 total (last time I looked). A week of unbelievable wreck diving, decent lodging, 9 -10 days total travel and all of it close to your time and $$ budget. If reef diving is not out of the question (and I can't believe it would ever be), then Pirates Point Resort in Little Cayman. Bloody Bay Wall. Lots of incredible swim throughs and the most varied and spectacular underwater topography you'll find in the Caribbean. $3,500 (including airfare from NY) for a week of fantastic diving, food, companions, and service (read Trip Advisor, its ALL true). Best of luck in you final selection!!

A few thoughts:

1.) Did you ever make it down to enjoy the wreck diving out of North Carolina?

2.) $4,000 total trip cost is not a lot, especially if you're considering a 2-week stay. I tend to figure $2,500 - $3,500 for a solo 7-day dive trip in U.S./Caribbean region, and not a pinnacle-dive trip-of-a-lifetime experience.

If you had up to two weeks and a few thousand dollars to spend on an unforgettable dive vacation, where would you go?

3.) Komodo. Runners up would be Raja Ampat and Papua, New Guinea. Haven't dove any of those 3; I based that on powerfully good, consistent reputation on the forum over the years. But I'm ideally a warm water reef guy. Closer to home, I'd consider a Socorros live-aboard.

Especially if you love wrecks!

4.) I'd total up airfare, trip cost itself, etc..., and get a trip total for that big wreck destianation (Truk Lagoon) trip, then see how far over the 4 grand it came.

5.) Are you content swimming around these wrecks, or is penetrating them important?

Also, I have zero fear of boats or the water, but I'm not a great sailor. Long boat rides do not please me. Anything over an hour trip out would need to have a pretty good reason for me to do it. With drugs I'm good to something like 4'-6' seas, but 6' is the limit.

6.) Are live-aboards an option, or do you require land-based?

I think you're going to be compromising one or more of your parameters, but I hope you find a great match.

Richard.

I just posted this in another thread so one option is the Virgin Islands - St Thomas specifically. There are a lot of wrecks just south of Charlotte Amalie with boat rides under an hour, All sorts of accommodations in all price ranges too.And relatively easy flights from the US. Once you've done those move over via the fast ferries to the BVI's and dive the RMS Rhone,the Kodiak Queen and possibly the Chikuizen if conditions permit.

The USVI's are a territory but you'll need a passport for the BNI's. Also they took a big hit this hurricane season so some resorts etc. may still be rebuilding. Really nice beaches and Virgin Gorda is pretty upscale - a lot of yacht/villa money so better restaurants than you'd expect.Very picturesque also.

Blue Island Divers Dive SItes
BVI Scuba Diving Sites | Dive BVI

Socorros would be an option since those trips run about $3K-$3500 not including the flight to Cabo but there are no wrecks. Just an amazing variety of larger pelagics like whale sharks, manta rays, hammerheads, dolphins and whales in season.
With drugs I'm good to something like 4'-6' seas, but 6' is the limit.
The reason I Don;t Think it's for you is it's a rougher all night crossing to get there.

I know next to nothing about it but when I think of wrecks, I think of Bermuda first.
There are more than 300 shipwrecks in the waters surrounding the island. Some 20 shipwrecks are believed to have been wrecked off the Bermuda island itself and are lying close to the shoreline.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

You can do some great wreck diving in the Red Sea, we spent a day on the Thistlegorm and it was amazing, but your budget and timeline may not be realistic for everything you want to do. Plus you don't tolerate long boat rides well (and that's fine) but an LOB could open up more options. Also, you will be traveling alone and single occupancy is often more expensive, unless you indicate a willingness to share a suite and are able to give a LOB a try. But it won't be the trip of a lifetime if you are uncomfortable or sick.
Wreck Diving in Egypt, Red Sea - SCUBA Travel Guide

Since most of your diving has been to Florida why not try easing into things a little? Instead of going straight for the "trip of a lifetime!"

Since you are located near Detroit, there is wreck diving available in the Great Lakes. There are also loads of dive resorts in all price ranges all over the Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America - and lots of LOBs, too. And some wreck dives - but not many major wrecks.

Get used to taking dive trips on your own, develop some relationships, and then go for the "trip of a lifetime", perhaps to Truk Lagoon?

You could also take a look at dive clubs, dive shop trips, or Scubaboard Invasion and Surge trips, to meet like-minded people and develop relationships.

Last edited:
The group below is for single divers. It is not a dating site, just for divers without regular buddies. They've got a bunch of trips coming up including one in August to Cozumel, the Cenotes, and Whale Sharks. I don't know the price.

They will also assist you in booking your own trips, too; maybe you should talk to them:

SingleDivers.com - Trips

Last edited:
You've given us a difficult task, my friend. We're to consider it the last trip ever and trip of a lifetime but for under $4000. Oh dear.

Nonetheless, I thought I had some ideas until you said wreck diving is your passion. From my limited wreck diving experience, since it's not my thing, Steve's advice seems good.

Grenada has a bunch of wrecks.

Grenada wreck guide

I'd stay at True Blue and dive with Aquanauts, but you'll want to talk to Aquanauts. Make sure that it is Peter or Paul that you are checking with on your wishes because they do not regularly do all of the wrecks in a week and may not even be able to offer you enough of them to satisfy you over 2 weeks but the Bianca C is always fun though. Frankly, diving with Aquanauts is a great experience, even my wreck diving buddies lived them, especially if you can be diving with Paul.

If you chose Grenada, do make sure that you take a tour around the island and get over to Grande Anse Beach too. True Blue Bay resort is pretty great but it's view isn't the best to be found on the island. Aquanauts is one of the best outfits I've ever dove with and I've been with them twice. I'll return because I love the island so much and Aquanauts really make for a great experience. Or, if you do want to take the wife and kids, I'll point you to a different accommodation that she and the kids will love with a beautiful view and lively beach on a quiet cove. Aquanauts will pick you up there every morning and take you to their other shop on Grande Anse Beach to catch the dive boat.

You said wreck is your passion and I immediately thought if Truk Lagoon but with $4K, that is a tough budget for 2 weeks. The airfare will eat a lot into it unless you are using points/miles.

Red Sea has some great wreck dives (e.g., Thistlegorm) but I agree with the poster above that I would not consider this “once in a lifetime” - I think of Truk Lagoon that way.

Another option is Coron/Subic in Philippines. You can definitely do it under $4K but again, same thinking as Red Sea applies here.

If liveaboard and international are the 2 things offering a vibe that is “once in a lifetime”, then I highly recommend Raja Ampat and/or Komodo if you are open to reef and pelagics. It is consistent. Every dive is wow...but no wrecks. Komodo can be done under $4K for 2 weeks with airfare and you can even add on a second location like Bali or Bunaken/Lembeh/Bangka. Komodo liveaboard costs are pretty competitive and low relative to my other recommendation, Raja Ampat. That one will be tough for 2 weeks with airfare at $4K or barely/very close.

I haven't gotten around enough to advice you. But if I were in the same situation, I might contact @DevonDiver in Subic Bay, Phillipines and see when he is available for say a week of training and then dive some more for the remainder of a full two week span. Travel does take time, but at times can be had for as little as $600.-
Caveats:
- I don't know Andi I just read what he wrote and like it.
- I have never been there, never dove there.
- Just wanting to, some day.
Recommending that only because I think it can be done on a budget, but I do not know that first hand either.

Other than that, I think you can get to Egypt and back and quite possibly do two weeks of LOBs on your budget. To do that so your total travel time is going to be more than two weeks. Look hard at flights. Also look at flying to European destinations and then ftom there to Hurghada with a budget carrier and compare (many of those ypu have yo go to their web page... e.g. Condor). Also look at Turkish Air... multiple ways, their web page and others... ( I did that in2016, under your budget, just, but not wreck focussed)

i did a wreck itinerary with emperor 3 years ago. if you can find the flight for less, it should be doable to keep the budget and do 2 weeks back to back on a liveaboard. maybe look into a lcc to europe like norwegian/wow and then flights to egypt should be 300 or 400. they also have slightly cheaper boats around the 1000 mark for a week.

Back
Top Bottom