Safety Stop Timer in Seconds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never considered the safety stop a waste of time. You usually gain a different perspective and I've seen quite a few interesting things.

Actually you've got it backwards. If you can see the seconds then a quick glance at the computer a few times during the safety stop is all you need but if you don't have the seconds on the display you'll have to look at it more often in order to avoid staying longer than necessary.

I've rarely seen anything worthwhile at a safety stop certainly not a whale shark.

I'd rather be back on the boat offgassing faster and shortening the surface interval.

It's really hard to tell when you're being facetious.

Wear a watch. An analog watch. Then you can really see the time pass. Or, better yet, look for the little stuff passing by. Saw a completely translucent tube jelly in Coz during 1 SS. Also have had turtles and rays go by. Lots of stuff to see during the SS. An extra minute or 2 of time in the water is never a bad thing (unless you're spearing and there's a hungry shark hanging around).

Heinrichs Weikamp do and also timer you can reset. Excellent German quality. Google them.

Just out of curiosity, why are seconds important for your safety stop?
In my experience, it’s just a feel good factor. Difference of perspectives. By far more accurate ‘feeling’. As a paramedic we had lots of time limits and ideals for different precedures. The feeling you get with knowing exactly when the next task to be completed is APPROACHING is more appealing to most people that just a NOW moment. If it was a norm, everyone would be talk g about how weird new computers were that only showed minutes. Dive computers in the past battled for screen realestate.
Can see how OP likes the full time display. I do as well. But just the same, if i was used to just seeing minutes, i would feel it was my norm.
My two bucks worth any way.
Cheers

I think my Icon counts down in seconds within the minute. I mean it starts at 3 and next shows 2:59, 2:58, etc. gets to 2:01, 2:00, then 1:59, etc.

As far as I know the scubapro M2 and G2 count down in seconds. Had a M2 on my wrist a couple of weeks ago, and from what I remember it did count in seconds.

A slightly different question, any one out there use a simple waterproof timer in seconds (not a dive computer), something for under $50 with big numbers. I've seen several waterproof watches, which have a timer. Looking for something that can be used with a drysuit and gloves (convertible to bungie wrist strap or possibly clipped off). Preferably not a lot of button presses given thick gloves.

Have seen these, but they don't quite fit the bill:
Waterproof stopwatch to 2 atm: Fisherbrand Waterproof/Shockproof Stopwatches - Thermometers, pH Meters, Timers and Clocks,Timers, Clocks, and Stopwatches
SKMEI Waterproof watch (164ft): https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Wate...D=51ZxA9nWTKL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Currently in the market for a new dive computer. Nothing technical just within advanced nitrox limits. I know it’s picky of me but curious which models out there have a safety stop timer in seconds not minutes. Just a personal preference.

Any suggestions?
Don't necessarily need a countdown timer in seconds --just hum the Final Jeopardy Tune to get a 30 second interval:

One minute:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom