Travel friendly BCD - Oceanic Biolite vs Aqua Lung Rogue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the internal pouches that go inside the ripcord pouches. They are mesh and have large tabs sewn into them so removal and replacement of weights are very simple. I've never had to actually ditch weights while in the water but I watched the video on rethreading the ripcord and then practiced it a bunch of times.
Hi @John Bortle

Would you feel secure releasing them and handing them up after every dive? You wouldn't mind replacing them in the BC after every dive?

Thanks, good diving, Craig

Hi @John Bortle

Would you feel secure releasing them and handing them up after every dive? You wouldn't mind replacing them in the BC after every dive?

Thanks, good diving, Craig
I would have no problem doing so. It would be easy enough to unzip the pockets and hand up the pouches. There would really be no need use the ripcord system to do so every time.

I would have no problem doing so. It would be easy enough to unzip the pockets and hand up the pouches. There would really be no need use the ripcord system to do so every time.
Thanks, did not know options regards to using them.

Too bad your not in South Fl, I have a practically new Stilleto w/ 2 tanks and SP novas for sale for less than a new Stilleto. And I concur with John Bortle, the mesh bags that hold the weights are easy to hand up if needed.

I have an AP Travelwing and love it!
It’s very comfortable and stable in the water, has intergated weight pockets that can also be used for storage, it comes with crotch straps, it’s made from tougher materials than most travel BCDs, it has enough lift for colder water diving, and weighs just under 3kg. There are many other great features...
AP TRAVELWING | AP Diving
I added a couple of these trim weight pockets to the cam band Scubapro X-Tek Counter Weight Pockets
Also, the cummerbund is highly adjustable. Im 182cm, 94kg & 110cm chest and have the small/medium size, which is great as my wife, who’s a lot smaller, can also use it when it’s my turn to look after the kids.
Their customer service is amazing too :)
I’m guessing they could send one out to you in Scandinavia no problem.

For info, I previously owned a Scubapro Litehawk and much prefer the AP Travelwing.

Last edited:
I'm looking for my first bc now and have decided on a back inflate as well. I rented the rogue this weekend and did 4 dives with it from 20 to 60, wreck and drift. I also spent some time with it in the diveshop pool a couple weeks ago. All my limited previous experience was with the usual jacket styles so take that as you will.

In the pool I was able to pull and replace the weight pouches by myself. Very limited weight, no big deal. My first dive this weekend I ended up too light and had to return to the boat. I ended up with 3 soft and 3 hard in each pouch. In the ocean with 6lbs, I couldn't do it. Odds are I'd be able to if I was more practiced with it and I was comfier in the water, but first real dive in quite a while so I needed help getting them in. The rear location is a little more difficult than on your hips or belly. Pulling them is super easy, back in takes a little contortion, very noticeble click when they are in place. I figure we tip the boat staff for a reason so back on the boat I went :laugh:

At the surface it pushed me forward a bit but I remembered the advice I had read here and deflated. Still not perfect but unpracticed still. And laying back for the surface swim, easy peasy.

And that pretty much is the full list of cons.

In the water it IS REALLY comfy. I was in a large and could have been in a medium instead. I'm in between and ended up with a large rig and medium cumberbund. A large/large and I could squeeze in another diver. There is not a huge amount of adjustment so getting the right pieces is important. But the pieces are interchangeable and the mix/match worked well. It felt nicely stable both verticle and horizontal. Head down was just as good. Not feeling a squeeze when you inflate is very nice.

I'm still looking and want to try some similar before I make up my my mind. But I liked it quite a bit. im renting it again this weekend for a beach entry.

I'm in the space coast section of Florida and my dive shop does a rent to own program for gear. I'm considering going in and getting it started.. The bc is the last piece I need. But as far as vest to rear inflate debate, rear inflate all the way. I'm hooked.

Last edited:
You might want to check out the Scubapro Litehawk as well. It is very similar to the Biolite and Rogue. Zeagle makes the Express Tech Deluxe which can be ordered with their ziptouch weight system which takes bare weights instead of a special insert. The Express Tech is close to a BP/W, so if you like the idea of a BP/W but don't want to go through piecing it together then that might work for you. I don't think any of these have accessory pockets so you will have to add those if you want them.

I dive the Zeagle Express Tech, love it. Mine has the velcro weight pockets, easy enough to get to. There is a lot of belt in the front of the BC so adding pockets isn't a problem. I would add the crotch strap.

You will not save much weight (maybe a pound or so) from your luggage. What makes the BC travel friendly is that it packs very flat.

If you are looking for something flexible, that you can grow with, you might want to check out the OMS IQ Lite pack/harness. OMS IQ Lite Backpack Harness
It has no rigid backbone so can pack down very flat.
It is set up to accept 2 cam bands.
If you start diving coldwater and/or want to get some of the additional weight off the hips and further up, you can just slip a SS plate into the integral slot - easy.
Pick your wing and swap as/if necessary.
Pick your weight pockets.

Last year I used an older OMS IQ pack (which is the heavier, older version) setup with the velcroed pull-to dump Zeagle Rear Weight System (on the waist belt, at the very rear Zeagle Rear Weight System) (Actually, I just switched to similar dumping style OMS pouches with integral accessory pockets, but they are bulky and heavy). and a HOG 32# wing.

That will soon be going to my son as he outgrows his SP LiteHawk, and I have an new, slightly larger IQ Lite that I will probably run with the the 35# Vintage Double Hose Argonaut Wing. Store | Vintage Double Hose

The DiveRite TransPac is similar, I believe, but without the ability to slip a plate inside.

Admittedly, the bolt-on wings will be a bit heavier and bulkier for travel because of the inner bladder and outer cover than the bladder-only of some of the ultra-lite integrated back inflate BCDs. Trade offs for durability, configurability.

What do you think of the ripcord weight system?

A little late to the party. I have a Zeagle tech and just bought a stiletto for an upcoming trip. I have a few hundred dives on the tech including some boat dives. The weight pockets have zippers, you just unzip and pull the weights out. The ripcord dumps the weights through the bottom of the weight pocket. When diving dry, I never put all my weight in the BCD. I use a combination of on BCD weight and a DUI weight distribution system. This does two things, distributes the weight more comfortable and lessens the amount of weight dumped if you have to ditch. I wear 32 pounds of lead when diving dry. You drop that much weight at the bottom and you'll be come a sub sea launched ICBM

I'm looking for my first bc now and have decided on a back inflate as well. I rented the rogue this weekend and did 4 dives with it from 20 to 60, wreck and drift. I also spent some time with it in the diveshop pool a couple weeks ago. All my limited previous experience was with the usual jacket styles so take that as you will.

In the pool I was able to pull and replace the weight pouches by myself. Very limited weight, no big deal. My first dive this weekend I ended up too light and had to return to the boat. I ended up with 3 soft and 3 hard in each pouch. In the ocean with 6lbs, I couldn't do it. Odds are I'd be able to if I was more practiced with it and I was comfier in the water, but first real dive in quite a while so I needed help getting them in. The rear location is a little more difficult than on your hips or belly. Pulling them is super easy, back in takes a little contortion, very noticeble click when they are in place. I figure we tip the boat staff for a reason so back on the boat I went :laugh:

At the surface it pushed me forward a bit but I remembered the advice I had read here and deflated. Still not perfect but unpracticed still. And laying back for the surface swim, easy peasy.

And that pretty much is the full list of cons.

In the water it IS REALLY comfy. I was in a large and could have been in a medium instead. I'm in between and ended up with a large rig and medium cumberbund. A large/large and I could squeeze in another diver. There is not a huge amount of adjustment so getting the right pieces is important. But the pieces are interchangeable and the mix/match worked well. It felt nicely stable both verticle and horizontal. Head down was just as good. Not feeling a squeeze when you inflate is very nice.

I'm still looking and want to try some similar before I make up my my mind. But I liked it quite a bit. im renting it again this weekend for a beach entry.

I'm in the space coast section of Florida and my dive shop does a rent to own program for gear. I'm considering going in and getting it started.. The bc is the last piece I need. But as far as vest to rear inflate debate, rear inflate all the way. I'm hooked.

Hi Nathan,

I was wondering if you've had that second chance to try out the Rogue? If so, what were your impressions this time?

In particular, I'd like to know if you had perhaps tried threading a trim weight into the tank band which I'm told by other back inflation users would help with not being pushed forward on the surface. I've always used jackets and am very keen on the Rogue, but unwilling to put down the money until I know more about this surface face forward issue.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom