Advice for Beginners Heading to Anthony's Key

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having just returned from AKR I thought I'd reply here.

The snack bar has lots of drinks and snacks. Eldon's will be cheaper but its a cab ride away. The resort runs their own transportation so don't be surprised if they don't stop.

Eldon's does take US dollars.

As far as diving, definitely let the dive op know about the state of the group. They will take good care of you.

Great resort, 1st class dive operation. We are already booked to return next spring.

Have fun!

I read that sand fleas are not repelled by insect repellant (which is why people get so many bites even with deet). They aren't insects, they are arachnids. I think the article said oily mosturizer works (shea butter for example) because they hate the oily (to them) surface. Don;t think it hurts the reef but better to check first. It also helps with any itch and drying.

I loved AKR... perfect for beginners. Have fun. Yeah, bring the bug spray. Yeah, get used to climbing steps for meals. But just expect to have a lot of fun. A lot of fun.

AKR takes excellent care of their patrons - happy divers come back! I was very pleased with their setup and staff.

I am one who suffers terribly from sand flea bites (little invisible buggers are 90% mouth/biting parts), very much like the 'no-see-ums' of the north. These are found all around the island (and many other islands besides Roatan) mostly at dusk at/near the beach. I found relief from 100% DEET spray, but don't like the toxicity of it. I did discover a spray that was made of lemon oil, eucalyptus oil, various 'essential' oils that worked as well, is not toxic, and smells good. The first time I used it, though, I pretty much soaked myself in it and got a slight chemical burn. There are several brands out there, read the labels, they work well.

BTW, keep snacks well sealed in zip-lock bags and consider putting them in the refrigerator.

riktiktavi

I used picaridin bug repellent with great success at Coco View. It's safe for plastic and rubber, so won't destroy your scuba gear.

Re: insect protection. Please consider my advice, esp. re: sand flies. Iraq was the world's capital for sand flies. And there is no treatment for dengue, beyond supportive:
More news about Playa del Carmen ...which leads to another post about Roatan.

Diving Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom