First non training deployment of long hose to buddy- double free flow at safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I apologize for the long post. Friday passed I met up with a new dive buddy. Given we had never dove together we spent a considerable amount of time going through our respective equipment configurations and did a pre dive plan and assessment of OOA contingencies, weight ditching etc.
Our dive plan was to do a 100 foot dive with a very limited bottom time (2-3 minutes) and a long slow ascent. He was diving 32 and I was on 29 mix. I had an HP133 with a 30 bailout back-mounted. He was diving an HP100. We had plenty of gas to do the dive. Our biggest concern was a layer of 3-5 feet thick zero viz inducing sediment which was reportedly suspended at the 60 foot range. Our goal was to punch through it as it had been reported that visibility under that layer improved. We took this with a grain of salt as it seemed unlikely that a lot of light could pass through this layer to substantially improve visibility given our depth would also be increasing.
So our predetermined dive plan stated that unless visibility got substantially better to the 4-5 foot range minimum we would abort the dive immediately and ascend. I had a diving / go pro helmet with camera lights mounted on it and he had a flash light so we figured we would not lose sight of each other given we would stay close on the descent. We figured we had planned for all contingencies. On our way down we could see the layer of silt at 60 feet. As we punched through it we became separated. I could not locate his light. I ascended to the safety stop and we met there and aborted the dive.
At the stairs leading to the water we were discussing what had happened. Buddy noticed his regulator (primary secondary) had started to free flow a little bit. It was intermittent. We decided to go back down. Just get to 50ish or so and do an easy shallow dive. We had depleted gas already, his reg was acting up, and it made zero sense to even attempt the deeper dive. We did our dive and ascended to the safety stop. It is here that the incident happened.
His primary began to truly free flow and when we went to his alternate it also began to free flow (not as bad as his primary). I deployed the long hose. Buddy handled himself very well and was able to get his regs to at least partially stop free flowing. He continued to breathe out of his primary which had a manageable free flow. What I am getting at in this post is that no matter what you plan for it seems there is always an uncertainty around the corner. Never would I have imagined one could experience a double free flow. Ultimately we had made the smart decisions before the incident. We had no deco so this was going to end well either way but I learned another valuable lesson.
Small things can become larger things and if there is any doubt then there is no doubt. Abort the dive, modify the dive, but error always on the side of caution as best you can. Had this happened at depth in 2-3 foot viz it would have been a whole other situation.

Last edited:
You mentioned err on the side of caution yet you decided to get back in the water when you knew your buddy's reg free-flowed during the first dive. I think I would have called it a day after the bad vis and slight free-flow.

Agree would have been the better decision. I recounted what happened based on our thinking at the time and the events that took place. I cant count the amount of times i have dove with others and someone is experiencing a small leak.. 99% of the times its totally fine and nothing happens. People shrug it off and you do the dive. Heck 1/2 the wreck dives I have done have involved someone's rental gear (not mine I bring my own gear) leaking somewhere yet folks execute the dive. This has changed my way of thinking.

Why did your buddy go back to his malfunctioning primary after you had donated your primary to him? Especially if his air was already low

@Landlocked123 double freeflow is the most common failure of regulators, IP creep from the first stage.

Get an IP gauge, check before the trip.

If it was an intermittent small bubble and a plan to 50ft? I can't fault you for starting that dive if you hadn't already shared air because of a big freeflow, but you shouldn't have gone back in after that incident.... Live and learn, glad you guys got back safe and had a good learning opportunity

. Never would I have imagined one could experience a double free flow. .

Since this is the basic scuba section; we should not say anything critical, but I am curious. Are you being serious when you say you never considered even the possibility that a first stage might have a maintenance issue and cause the second stages to freeeflow?

To answer your question Saltyhawg he wanted to see if he could work it out he told me. My longhose was in his face in about 1 split second and he knew it was there if he needed to hop on it. I kept it deployed for the duration of the safety stop. He was calm throughout. He was close to making that call but when the reg settled down to what he deemed to be manageable he decided to continue to breathe from it.

Tbone1004. totall agree. Any equipment malfunction albeit seemingly minor will register differently with me for sure in the future. To clarify, before going back down on the 50 foot dive the only symptom I had noticed was a small leak from his secondary. Buddy tapped the reg and adjusted the venturi and it seemed to almost go away. But we could still hear a very faint leak. Like you said..dive and learn.

If you dive in 2-3 foot vis regularly, everything anywhere else gets easier, and maybe stir up the silt every now and then on purpose to get more comfortable with it away from other divers.

I don’t think 2-3 foot vis should make a massive difference in sharing gas, obviously it’s a bigger pain but it’s still the same you just have to be more aware of your team.

Johndiver999 - I have been diving a pony bail out since OW cert a decade ago so I have always been cognizant that catastrophic air loss can happen to one's primary gas, or to any other gas supply for that matter. I just had never witnessed a primary being the issue and affecting both second stages and I guess now I have ! I realize now it only makes sense that both would go at once. I feel better about the fact that I have never dove, not once, without a bail out bottle. Either 19 or 30. Every dive. Every time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom