"#@$# Idea"->dive->bends->wheel-chair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...We didn't know what the state the machine was in, but I reached in for the box... because... y'know, free cupcake.

Too easy: the door can't close with enough force to amputate you hand because y'know, lawyers. Wedge a key or cellphone or something in there when it opens if you want to be sure.

As said before, the entire story is very long and the translation makes it hard to continue but I completed it. (You should get an award, maybe a cupcake, just for making to the end. Much like the book It by S. King). Anyway I think that I got it. The author encouraged the other two to take an additional tank which they did not want to. They splashed and head down. Two divers stopped at 80-90 meters for pictures but in reality one had already blacked out as the author continued down. It appears that the diver with the camera was now trying to get the unresponsive diver back up. The author made it to 110-120 meters. He waits for the other two and then goes to find them. Finally finds them and they have almost used up all of their gas. The author kinda knows that as soon as he shares his extra gas with the other two, there is no way he can complete his deco stops. He by far has the longest deco obligation. Pretty much that as soon as he render assistance, he signed his death certificate. One of the divers would not give back the reg to share air. So we they exhausted the gas and headed toward the surface. The other two start swimming towards the boat and they are rescued. The author tries to make the swim but paralysis is setting in. He fumbled with the excess tanks that are hampering his swim and trying to drop them. Waves are crashing over him and he is almost ready to let go and just drown. He hears his daughter’s voice and decided to give it one more try. He makes it to the boat and tries to gain attention by shouting but no one listens. He ripped off his mask and waves his arms. (He later learned that shouts do no good). He has a hell of a time dealing with foreign hospitals and he is bounced around from one hospital to another. Each asking for money before giving him proper medical attention.
So, according to him, the other two divers have paid him only a couple of visits, he is totally bankrupt, bounded to a wheelchair and has had a year of people ridiculing him about how he screwed up. He has asked for nothing but was just wanting to share lessons learned. He kinda pisses people off by saying some pretty harsh words about those that want to rehash what he did wrong. So would I.
So, you may want to read it again and learn from his mistakes.
This is what I got from the story.

...This is what I got from the story.

He did not encourage the other divers to take extra air (that's a google translate screw-up), the other diver needled him about "real men not taking the 2nd tank".

That other diver, the unresponsive one, had a blown lung on ascent, only the camera guy was well enough to swim to the boat for help.

Judging by their names, the guy with blown lung was a local Egyptian (Mustafa) or some other Middle-Easterner, and the other guy could be a Westerner (Sam). The writer is in Kiev, Ukraine, i.e. there's a couple of borders between them all.

Ok our view is a little differen
“When I decided to take the second balloon, Mustafa still laughed, saying we men go on one ball ..... but something I still made him take it. That's why we are all three and alive now.”

So what exactly is your point?

I'll say it again, commendable for bringing the story to light. That being said, doing that kind of dive, with others who you KNOW are not prepared (single tanks), and with your daughter in the boat.....is beyond me. I read this forum to learn things, and I do constantly. There is nothing in this thread to learn from that I do not already know....

Ok our view is a little differen
“When I decided to take the second balloon, Mustafa still laughed, saying we men go on one ball ..... but something I still made him take it. That's why we are all three and alive now.”

So what exactly is your point?

That the above translation is incorrect: Russian is my first language and I read it in the original. It says basically "something made me take the 2nd tank at the last moment, and Mustafa laughed and said we real men dive on one tank only".

Edit: my other two points were also factual corrections and clarifications, nothing more.

I'll say it again, commendable for bringing the story to light. That being said, doing that kind of dive, with others who you KNOW are not prepared (single tanks), and with your daughter in the boat.....is beyond me. I read this forum to learn things, and I do constantly. There is nothing in this thread to learn from that I do not already know....
I don't think his daughter was on the boat. I think he "heard her voice" in his head.

He indicated he was familiar with one of the divers not the other.

The OP has stated he is not the diver in the story but has reposted the story using an internet translation program.

I agree there is nothing to learn in this thread that hasn't been said before in A&I. It does reinforce those lessons. It seems valuable to reinforce those lessons and that is what new A&I threads do.

Back
Top Bottom