"#@$# Idea"->dive->bends->wheel-chair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dunno. Translation was a little ropey but thinking DCS was just a walk and chamber away and all good?

Not quite: the way it goes in the original, after he stayed too long at the bottom and was coming up, he was already expecting a hit. He was hoping to maybe run into other divers from the same boat at their SS and bum gas off them, but even if not, he expected to come up with a not-too-scary amount of missed deco. Until he got to the other two and realised they were both OOG @ 60 metres. At that point he knew he was f***ed, just not how thoroughly yet.

I can appreciate the human side of this diver's predicament and his frustration when meeting criticism while he's trying himself to be self-critical. The latter is unavoidable and he we'll have to live with it and try to separate the good from the bad. After all, there's blame for parts of the dive that he's not taking on himself.

I wish him a full recovery.

For the rest, this is AI and we analyze and learn lessons.

Aside from the basics (don't dive deep on air, plan your dive, gas management, don't exceed your qualifications, etc.), the only other theaching that stands out is that you are the first person of the dive you have to look after, because once allis said and zone, you will be on your own in the aftermath even if you were brave underwater.

AJ:
Diving in three as GUE does is much much safer than two divers. But having said that: GUE divers would not do this dive this way. They would use the apropriate gasses with a proper dive plan and training. Just diving with three (or more) without proper training and procedures could easily do more harm than good. One in trouble is bad enough, two out of three is a nightmare.

One cannot claim the benefit of a third team member without recognizing the added complexity or possible points of failure.

On the topic of these deep bounce dives on single tanks, well that's just optimism at its best/worst?!?
If everything goes perfectly, I won't be disabled or die.
Great plan.
No what ifs.
Why worry?
What could happen? Oh, wait, we aren't gonna ask that one...

Heh, at least he was just going to go down, snap a pix, go up. There was recently this Russian couple on Tahiti who went into a cave at 60 metres "just to look around". Their instructor went in with them, apparently he's done that "a million times before" too...

What's the point in diving to 100 meters, if there's no gold bar to bring up?
The water looks and feels the same as it does at twenty meters.
If you just want to chase numbers, you can invent numbers on your log book.

But to push that far on depth, for no reason except "I'm bored, I want to show macho limits". I have no interest in doing that. Especially knowing what the results can easily be.

Kinda like trying to beat a train at a railroad crossing. Why?

Kinda like trying to beat a train at a railroad crossing. Why?

Or playing chicken with dads' cars.

I don't actually question that sort of thing, but I grew out that by about 18. I question people still doing it at 40.

The first time I used a can recycling machine (you put used beverage cans into it, it crushes them, eventually gives you the deposits back) it got upset and a message flashed "Error, please remove can". That is, put my hand into the jaws of a hydraulic crusher which was telling me it was not working properly. But I should really stick my hand into it.

Uh-uh. I had "shop" class way back when. Putting your hands or fingers or face into jaws of some machine like that? When you *know* it isn't working? Years later I learned to call that "risk benefit analysis".

More commonly called "What could possibly go wrong?"

Kudos to the OP for posting so candidly, and good luck on the long-term problems. If is discourages just one other person from repeating this, that's important.

Would anyone be willing to put the first page of this thread into one simple paragraph?

Would anyone be willing to put the first page of this thread into one simple paragraph?
The guy went on a 100m bounce dive on air with two other people. He was diving twins while the others were on single tanks. At 60m on the way up he realized he could barely ascend on his gas and would miss some deco, but it wouldn't be a massive hit. He spotted the other two divers buddy breathing. He decided to share air and when he surfaced he got bent sideways and almost drowned. Now he's on a wheelchair, broke on medical expenses and has lost everything.

Were the other two bouncing to 100M too? These weren't just strangers at 60M that he happened to just find out of the blue?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom