"#@$# Idea"->dive->bends->wheel-chair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I choose to jump off the Golden Gate bridge with a pair of water wings on my arms the result is predictable.
If I try to fly a perfectly normal Cessna 172 across the Atlantic with no extra fuel the result is predictable.
If I tried to do a 330 ft dive on air with just a single 80 (or buddies who have a single AL 80) and no dive plan re- deco or anything else the result is predictable.
unfortunately first two - is really predictable.
Third.... I met at least two persons, who did it. And came back alive. (one was from Austria)
It is a problem - that here exist alive persons. Others can think - "he did it, why I can not???"

BTW... according statistics - Russian divers has less (or same) deadly occasions, as other divers. (Fish hunters - more)

The business of diving in a three maybe deserves yet another thread. It is a common, sometimes indeed preferred, practice for technical diving. However it also gets a disproportionate mention in BSAC incident reports and is discouraged.

Sounds like it might be a good discussion. Perhaps the disproportionate mention is because the divers were not buddy diving as trained and the problem evolved because the odd man was overlooked and/or wound up solo when not capable.

Another question arising from the above is when to abandon a buddy and when to stick with them.

I've never figured that one out. What sounds good at the surface seems to change when In the moment at depth.

Anytime the subject of "Russian divers" came up in conversation it was met with rolling eyes and shaking heads.

I don't think that is confined to divers, in my experience. I've really liked the Russians that I've spent any time with, but they are a different breed. It's just as well that I didn't dive with them in my youth.

Bob

When I was diving in Egypt (Dahab and Sharm) I met and socialized with number of Western European DM's and instructors. Anytime the subject of "Russian divers" came up in conversation it was met with rolling eyes and shaking heads.

It's a stereotype that's there for a reason, but you gotta remember that this thread spun off of a British diver's story. And I bet you'll get the same reaction when you mention "SE Asian divers" to Western DMs around Australasia, too.

I hope you make some decent recovery. It all sounds horrendous but entirely predictable.

I really hope others learn from your terrible lesson.

What organization certified you if you don’t mind me asking? A lot of what you say you learned afterwards for someone with 1000+ dives is pretty scary. A lot of the stuff is 101 basics.

Thanks for you honesty and I wish you a recovery, physically and mentally.

Best,
John

It's a stereotype that's there for a reason, but you gotta remember that this thread spun off of a British diver's story. And I bet you'll get the same reaction when you mention "SE Asian divers" to Western DMs around Australasia, too.
It is indeed a stereotype for a reason. Having worked there for a while on liveaboards the Russians did get a bad name for risky behaviour. Remember one girl swimming in a national park (banned) with two very curious longimanus right on her tail. It was only the actions of other boats that probably ensured her safe return from the water.

From the OP’s description it sounds a little like perhaps these guys aren’t aware of the risks.

Anyhow, it’s a salutary tale of how not to do things and I’ve done plenty wrong myself.

..you...your... you ... you ...
Thanks for you honesty and I wish you a recovery, physically and mentally.
NOT ME! :)
I just make translation (with google translator) and publish it here.
It is not my story!!! :) His name - Maxim. My - Alexander. I do not know him.

But thank you for good wishes to him.

NOT ME! :)
I just make translation (with google translator) and publish it here.
It is not my story!!! :) His name - Maxim. My - Alexander. I do not know him.

But thank you for good wishes to him.
Sorry for that, my misunderstanding: apologies. But I wish the diver well nonetheless and thanks for sharing the info.

Soooooo many things about that dive to discuss but it was doomed before it started.

Sounds like it might be a good discussion. Perhaps the disproportionate mention is because the divers were not buddy diving as trained and the problem evolved because the odd man was overlooked and/or wound up solo when not capable.
Diving in three as GUE does is much much safer than two divers. But having said that: GUE divers would not do this dive this way. They would use the apropriate gasses with a proper dive plan and training. Just diving with three (or more) without proper training and procedures could easily do more harm than good. One in trouble is bad enough, two out of three is a nightmare.

@OP: really glad to to hear you survived this ordeal. I admire you for your honesty telling this story.

From the OP’s description it sounds a little like perhaps these guys aren’t aware of the risks.

The guy's story has in several places "I know all you gonna say but it's my life, my decision, so don't lecture me". Only not as polite. He was not exactly unaware of the risks.

I think this is where "normalization of deviance" argument comes in: he's done plenty of deep bounce on air, on single tank, and came up fine every time. Because nothing went wrong.

PS. re: swimming with sharks. I recall there was some American tourist lady eaten by a croc in the Oz' up North: she was told not to swim here, there are crocodiles, and she went *splash*. o_O

Last edited:
The guy's story has in several places "I know all you gonna say but it's my life, my decision, so don't lecture me". Only not as polite. He was not exactly unaware of the risks.

I think this is where "normalization of deviance" argument comes in: he's done plenty of deep bounce on air, on single tank, and came up fine every time. Because nothing went wrong.

PS. re: swimming with sharks. I recall there was some American tourist lady eaten by a croc in the Oz' up North: she was told not to swim here, there are crocodiles, and she went *splash*. o_O

Dunno. Translation was a little ropey but thinking DCS was just a walk and chamber away and all good? A 100m bounce dive on single rank until his inner self made him decide otherwise? Not having decent dive insurance? Thinking deep on air would not have narcs? I could go on and on.

I pity the poor guy that got paralyzed but there’s a lot of anger there for 101 stuff that he blames on others.

It was a total CF from the start and the only ppl to really blame are the divers.

Quibbling about medical costs when you’re getting paralyzed?

I mean, really???

Back
Top Bottom