"#@$# Idea"->dive->bends->wheel-chair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and one more notice - at the all russian diving forums I always talking:
NEVER HAVE DIVE IN THREE!!!

Excellent advice. A rescue of one person is difficult enough, to rescue two is not covered by any training I know, and if not impossible, would be close enough that I would not want to be there.

Thanks for posting the account.

Bob

But my reason for this is little different.

Attention.
You never can pay same attention for two buddies, than for one.
Always you will have more attention to one of them.
And possible situation - 1 have more attention to 2. 2 have more attention to 1. and 3 could be forgotten at one moment....

Also - when you starts to help for one buddy - at this moment another became a solo diver. Not experienced solo diver.

GUE teaches team of 3 for tech diving. In theory it means that you have a person with a problem, a person helping and one who can keep track of the big picture or outside issues, as well as additional gas and a depth reference.

But if you haven't trained like that then it's probably not a good idea to dive like that.

If both your teammates have significant issues at once it's going to be a bad day. However other than bad gas I can't think of a likely way that could happen.

But my reason for this is little different.

Attention.
You never can pay same attention for two buddies, than for one.
Always you will have more attention to one of them.
And possible situation - 1 have more attention to 2. 2 have more attention to 1. and 3 could be forgotten at one moment....

Also - when you starts to help for one buddy - at this moment another became a solo diver. Not experienced solo diver.
Thank you for posting his story because I learned a lot about overseas healthcare. Not just diving accidents, if any kind of health crisis occurs in a different country, then I better have good travel insurance, because I have never before heard of “haggling” “dickering” negotiating over the price of medicine. And I better be traveling with loyal friends too.

GUE teaches team of 3 for tech diving. In theory it means that you have a person with a problem, a person helping and one who can keep track of the big picture or outside issues, as well as additional gas and a depth reference.

But if you haven't trained like that then it's probably not a good idea to dive like that.

Didn't know that, I knew GUE had teams but didn't know how it worked.

If both your teammates have significant issues at once it's going to be a bad day. However other than bad gas I can't think of a likely way that could happen.

Same as a lot of other accidents, as well as the one delineated here, poor judgement and bad luck.

Bob

What a hell of a story and a ride! Thanks for posting it.

DAN forever!
I never heard about problems with treatment when you have DAN insurance.
Is better to pay 80-90euro each year, than to have so seriuos problems with health and life.

In this story I see just one problem. Person problem.
He do not want to hear any other opinion, just his own.

It was a problem before, when people (divers) everywhere talking - do not dive deeper your limits (also with impropper gases and equipment).
It was a problem after, when others try to describe any mistakes in this dive, at least as lesson for other divers - he do not wish to hear it.

and one more notice - at the all russian diving forums I always talking:
NEVER HAVE DIVE IN THREE!!!

just one situation could be, when you dive "in three" - two is normal buddies, third - have this dive as solo diver.

The business of diving in a three maybe deserves yet another thread. It is a common, sometimes indeed preferred, practice for technical diving. However it also gets a disproportionate mention in BSAC incident reports and is discouraged.

Another question arising from the above is when to abandon a buddy and when to stick with them. We teach not to excessively risk yourself in a rescue as two casualties is worse than one. For example, a proper pre dive topic is what happens when one diver is unconscious and the other has a big deco obligation.

Did they dive to 100m with one Gas mix? Was it air or a trimix? Is there a trimix that takes you from the surface safely to 100m?

most noticeable phrase is
"Need to go to depth, because is boring now"
He`s used AIR. He had two tanks, his buddies - by one tank. AIR. (see part two, paragraph 5)
Maxim Sima
Nevertheless, climbing for 100 in the air is stupid, bordering on idiocy, I understand this perfectly, but this is MY life, it was my decision, it's not for me to judge and to be clever. Do not agree - the FB is full of other pages where you can poumble a lot, but I will have a ban immediately.

When I was diving in Egypt (Dahab and Sharm) I met and socialized with number of Western European DM's and instructors. Anytime the subject of "Russian divers" came up in conversation it was met with rolling eyes and shaking heads. The general consensus was that there was a cultural issue with their attitude to diving that appeared to be a mix of proving how brave they were and ignorance of safe practices.
"Lets go deep diving"
"How deep"?
"One hundred meters!!!!! (proclaimed loudly while puffing out of chest and adjustment of speedo front required)"
"Whats down there?"
"Dunno, fish maybe"
"How long will we stay down there?"
"What....why do you ask so many questions, are you afraid or something!"
"I've only got one AL 80 of air"
"Perfect, lets go!"

If I choose to jump off the Golden Gate bridge with a pair of water wings on my arms the result is predictable.
If I try to fly a perfectly normal Cessna 172 across the Atlantic with no extra fuel the result is predictable.
If I tried to do a 330 ft dive on air with just a single 80 (or buddies who have a single AL 80) and no dive plan re- deco or anything else the result is predictable.

In fact I'm not sure the incident described is really an "accident", sounds more like natural selection!
I hope you make the best possible recovery.

Back
Top Bottom