Tank tumbler video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could order some stainless steel pins designed for tumbling. They're a little softer than the tank steel but they're pretty aggressive at removing rust. Also they can be rinsed and used multiple times.

That's a great video - I was planning something like that - then went even cheaper. If I have to rebuild mine, it will end up like yours. I initially just laid the tanks on the treadmill - that eventually wore a groove in the underlying board under the belt. My LDS gave me a gizmo (couple rods with wheels) that sat on the belt and the tank sat on the wheels but that was flimsy. I eventually took some holey angle iron to stiffen the frame, removed the belt/floor and cut off most of the treadmill frame - kept the frame holding the motor and drive shaft. Set the one side of the wheels on the drive shaft and tumble away. I've tumbled at least a 1/2 dozen of my steel tanks now - works great. In general I've used little pyramid media from harbor freight. I've got a huge bucket of used nails that I plan to cut the heads off in the next batch of tumbling.
m_IMG_1226.JPG

if anyone wants the full info: Tank Tumbler

Thanks for the suggestions. But cherry flavored chicken grit? Sounds unconventional to say the least. Will it work better than the aquarium gravel for thicker rust? And what do you guys recommend for the coated tanks?

DD

It's a brand. It has nothing to do with cherries.

Interesting... I just seen you vid on YT before I came here. You have a parts list? I have an old garage door opener that I was wondering if it would work, so now looking for those 'wheels' you have on the shaft.

The drive wheels were from McMasters and there is a link in the notes on the YouTube video. Check the drop down menu that says "Show More". Its not far below the video.

I'm sure you can use a door opener motor as I've seen it done. I hope it helps.

DD

i share my tumbler machine,400VAC Samsung washing machine+ pulley ,4 wheels , 1 shaft INA 12 mm, 2 bearings, one woodboard. What do you use to clean inside a steel tank ? Not sure to find exotic stuff here in Peru. Any help welcome,thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190328_135522854.jpg
    IMG_20190328_135522854.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 267
And to think that before I broke out the welder I just decided to cap the tank with my beads and simple Crystal green, pop in a movie, and roll the tank across the living room floor with my foot while drinking a beer. Depending on your leg length I can roll my tanks without getting up out of my chair.

diver don ,,,, dont let it spin to fast or the particulate will stick to the side and then gravity drop from top to bottom instead of continually sliding down the side as it turns.

diver don ,,,, dont let it spin to fast or the particulate will stick to the side and then gravity drop from top to bottom instead of continually sliding down the side as it turns.
Good point. You should be able to tell what the media is doing by listening to it. I can tell when it's working and when its not.

i share my tumbler machine,400VAC Samsung washing machine+ pulley ,4 wheels , 1 shaft INA 12 mm, 2 bearings, one woodboard. What do you use to clean inside a steel tank ? Not sure to find exotic stuff here in Peru. Any help welcome,thanks

I have used fish tank gravel with some success. If the rust is not too heavy that should work.
Good luck and let us know what you find locally.

DD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom