Wetsuit Question: Purchase for OW Course? (sizing flexibility question)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having just gone through the struggles of a wetsuit I can give you some "new guy" advice.

Of course if you want to have a laugh at my expense, then you can go here...... Another wetsuit tale/question.....but longer.

Anyway I know first hand the horrors of trying on a wetsuit for the first time, and believe me it's worse than what you may think it is.

I would strongly suggest that you see your dive shop a few days in advance and try on what they have, as you don't want to leave this until the last minute.........they may not have one to fit you, or they only have one and can't find it in time.

When I did my sizing I was anywhere from a medium to I believe a 2XL?? It did depend on brand, but the dive shop was trying to get me into a large (and with help it finally fit), but the XL was the way to go for me......at least with the Bare 7mm Reactive version.

I'm 5'10", 200lbs with a bit of a belly, and I found the Large to be a killer to breathe in.

Apparently the suits will stretch to the shape of your body overtime, but somehow I found being able to breathe NOW more important than the suit stretching later.

Besides if it turns out to be a bit bigger after it stretches some, then just wear a rash guard underneath and that will take up the slack.

As for a wetsuit in the pool........I didn't need one as the temperature was fine, but certainly needed one in the lake for my OW.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

John

Everybody's cold tolerance is different, but usually the larger the person, the more cold tolerant they are. I dive with friends that are in nothing more than a rash guard or dive skin. I will be cold in a 3 or 5mm, and they are complaining it is too hot.

I am not a fan of 7mm suits. They are not very stretchy, and they take that much more weight to offset their buoyancy. I find that a 5mm is much more practical. If you need more thermal insulation, layer it with a hooded vest.

For the stretchier wetsuits also look at Scubapro Everflex or my favorite, Aqua Lung Aqua Flex. They are easy to get in and out of due to stretch and are quite accommodating to many shapes and sizes. I know a variety of people ranging from toothpick females to tall XXL men that fit really well in this.

For warm weather I love my henderson hyperstretch! Now no longer made. But I have another brand cheapo superstretch 2 mm which is not true neoprene, so I do get chilled on the surface more easily than a true neoprene suit.

I did some more research. Most of the brands that people threw out there don't come in a large enough sizes for what I'll need. Henderson seems to be the best bet for larger wetsuits.

I called around. None of the shops in the my carry 4X+. Where Henderson is in NJ...the shipping time is quick enough that they just order what they need.

I'm all about supporting local businesses, but in this case...it's going to be a complete PITA to order one through a local shop. I'll have to drive 30+ minutes to get taped, drive 30+ minutes back down to get it, and 30+ minutes back if the first one doesn't fit right (I'm not expecting to get it right the first time). I'm just going to order one through leisurepro. If it doesn't work...I'll just box it up, send it back, and try another one.

Size availability wise...that narrows it down to the Henderson Thermoprene 5mm Men's Jumpsuit (Back Zip).

@Barnaby'sDad , whatever works! I’ve touched the Thermoprene Pro. It feels very nice and stretchy. Try to get that one if getting the Thermoprene line. The Pro is a newer version. From what I understand, Thermaxx is a higher quality line, but I swear I couldn’t feel the difference between it and the Pro version. The older Thermoprene did feel lesser in quality and feel, less stretchy and therefore, less forgiving. HTH.

@Barnaby'sDad , whatever works! I’ve touched the Thermoprene Pro. It feels very nice and stretchy. Try to get that one if getting the Thermoprene line. The Pro is a newer version. From what I understand, Thermaxx is a higher quality line, but I swear I couldn’t feel the difference between it and the Pro version. The older Thermoprene did feel lesser in quality and feel, less stretchy and therefore, less forgiving. HTH.

I had my eye on that one too, given the additional flex that you mentioned. I could not find that one on leisurepro in 4X sizes. I'm focused on ordering from them or somewhere else with a similar new item exchange policy.

I had my eye on that one too, given the additional flex that you mentioned. I could not find that one on leisurepro in 4X sizes. I'm focused on ordering from them or somewhere else with a similar new item exchange policy.

Try calling them. They might be able to order the size in for you quickly. My shop can get Henderson wetsuits in the shop in a matter of days. And we're in Canada!

Also as a side note (in case not mentioned) as the wetsuit is used and ages, it becomes less stretchy, so make sure you aren't suffocating in it to start with.

Here is a warning on wetsuit sizing I wrote about a dozen years ago. Some other people added some anecdotes that may be helpful as well.
Close call in the dressing room

Back
Top Bottom