Wetsuit Question: Purchase for OW Course? (sizing flexibility question)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barnaby'sDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be doing the pool sessions for OW next weekend. Perusing the internets...I've been thinking about what items would be "nice" to own when I go for my OW dives later in September.

The place where I'll be diving for the class...the one piece of equipment that I'll be responsible for renting on my own is a wetsuit. It's $21.50/day to rent one. That'll be $43.00 to rent for the weekend. Based on that cost per day...I don't think it will take long for a wetsuit purchase to pay for itself.

That and I would rather not have to show up every dive day and jerk around trying to figure out which wetsuit fits, depending upon which brand and model wetsuit happens to be on the shelf.

I wear 2XLT shirts and 50L coats. From what I've read online...that's likely to translate to a 4X or 5X wetsuit. My question...once you find a wetsuit that "fits"...how much flexiblity is there...size wise? ex. I've lost 10lbs and intend to lose more. If I buy a wetsuit now...will it still "fit" when I'm down another 10lbs, etc.?

That and I wouldn't have to wear other peoples funk. That would be another plus of getting my own wetsuit. I'm tempted to get my own regulators using that line of reasoning, but I think that might be going a little overboard at this time. Thank you.

If you buy a stretchier wetsuit, like Henderson Thermaxx or Bare, they will be more forgiving. You just have to make sure you buy a little snug if you plan to lose weight. I have weight fluctuations in the 10-15 lbs range and my Henderson still fits although tighter when I gain the weight as I bought it when I was thinner. But wetsuit fit is very important and one day it might just become too loose.

Your size might be more difficult to find in a rental fleet.

And I found the wetsuit to make my overall comfort in the pool just so much better. Only the instructor, assistant instructor, my husband and I had wetsuits on, and we were the envy of the whole class. Everyone else was cold brrr.

I know Bare Reactive suits will fit a guy 6’4” and 300lbs. I’ve seen him in it often. They are nice and stretchy. Worth every penny. I have the women’s version.

If you buy a stretchier wetsuit, like Henderson Thermaxx or Bare, they will be more forgiving. You just have to make sure you buy a little snug if you plan to lose weight. I have weight fluctuations in the 10-15 lbs range and my Henderson still fits although tighter when I gain the weight as I bought it when I was thinner. But wetsuit fit is very important and one day it might just become too loose.

Your size might be more difficult to find in a rental fleet.

And I found the wetsuit to make my overall comfort in the pool just so much better. Only the instructor, assistant instructor, my husband and I had wetsuits on, and we were the envy of the whole class. Everyone else was cold brrr.

Thank you. I'll look around and see if one of my local shops carry their wetsuits.

That is my other concern. Getting all the way down there and having to squeeze into a wet suit that's too small.

I know Bare Reactive suits will fit a guy 6’4” and 300lbs. I’ve seen him in it often. They are nice and stretchy. Worth every penny. I have the women’s version.

That's roughly where I am (height and weight Wise). I'll check theirs out. Thank you.

In general, it is most important to consider weight rather than height when looking for an appropriately sized suit. Of course this has to be within reason.

If you are looking for a super warm and flexible suit check out our suits 3 5 and 7 mm. We carry a xxxl suits now.

Thanks
Dano

In general, it is most important to consider weight rather than height when looking for an appropriately sized suit. Of course this has to be within reason.

If you are looking for a super warm and flexible suit check out our suits 3 5 and 7 mm. We carry a xxxl suits now.

Thanks
Dano

Dano, thanks for the response. I was originally thinking 5mm (I assumed that would be sufficient), but where I'll be doing most of my beginner diving (a quarry in VA)...It looks like 7mm would be more appropriate.

XXXL won't work for me at the moment, but I'll keep you guys in mind for a later date. Assuming I could squeeze into a XXXL at the moment...It would look like ten pounds of stuff crammed into a five pound sack.

Wetsuits are something you should always try on for fit. Each manufacturer has its own sizing. Do yourself a favor and go to your LDS try one or two on and buy the one that fits. In the northern US, it’s getting close to the end of dive season so they may make you a good deal on buying a rental suit.

In your case I would buy now, following above advice(s). I bought mine right after OW. This may be the first time I've heard of a place not providing shop suits for the OW course.

Wetsuits are something you should always try on for fit. Each manufacturer has its own sizing. Do yourself a favor and go to your LDS try one or two on and buy the one that fits. In the northern US, it’s getting close to the end of dive season so they may make you a good deal on buying a rental suit.

Agreed..this is not something that I want to take a chance on ordering online.

Xcel has a good sizing chart online and their suits are very comfortable. I bought mine and and since have lost 40 pounds and it still fits granted it was on the tighter side when I was my heaviest. My wife just got the Bare Evoke in a 5mm for warmer water and she loves it says it’s the most comfortable suit she has ever had and she’s had a few I think the men’s version is the Reactive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom