New diver ready to rack up some dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxPat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All,
I recently got both my open water and advanced open water certifications. I’m really wanting to get into spearfishing. I live outside New Orleans and will be making weekend trips to anywhere that has a few fish from Gulf Shores to Panama City. I’ve been doing my research for awhile now on regulations and am excited to go after some lionfish, small (15lbs and under) reef fish. A trip for some lobsters would be sweet too. If anybody is looking for a dive buddy I’d love to learn the ropes from some folks with experience. I look forward to posting reports soon. Be safe out there.
Max

Awesome man! I hear up there north of Tampa is some of the best spearfishing in the world. Since its somewhat remote it doesn't get fished a lot. I have been putting in time this year at home and I was thinking next year in the spring I might drag my boat up that way and try to win a category or 2 in the Florida Spearfishing Tournament :)

It takes a while to fish identification down. I thought I would pick it up right away, I have rod and reel caught just about everything you can think of. It was not nearly as easy as I thought it would be, the fish look totally different :) So I would concentrate on that first good luck and keep me posted on your reports.

Awesome man! I hear up there north of Tampa is some of the best spearfishing in the world. Since its somewhat remote it doesn't get fished a lot. I have been putting in time this year at home and I was thinking next year in the spring I might drag my boat up that way and try to win a category or 2 in the Florida Spearfishing Tournament :)

It takes a while to fish identification down. I thought I would pick it up right away, I have rod and reel caught just about everything you can think of. It was not nearly as easy as I thought it would be, the fish look totally different :) So I would concentrate on that first good luck and keep me posted on your reports.
did you happen to find some cue cards for legal fish to spear?

Welcome to ScubaBoard and congratulations on getting certified.

Thanks Comp. Went freediving today with a guy I meet on a spearfishing forum. He showed me the ropes on spearing in Lake Pontchartrain. If you want viz, this is not the place. I saw a few shooters(sheepshead) but only took one shot and missed. My coach nailed 6. Good day learning, and gaining more experience.

Hey Max. If you're ever here in Central Texas I'd be happy to discuss dive options or go diving with you.

howdy and welcome from south east florida...

Hi I live in New Orleans and am getting my open water at the end of October. I am also looking to rack up some dives. I don’t have any friends that are into diving so I need a dive budy! I have a car and am willing to drive to Florida! Let me know if your interested!!!

I'd be happy to dive with you if you're ever in Central Texas or maybe somewhere between, but driving to FL is the better option.

Back
Top Bottom