Question about learning deco procedures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not consider limited backgas decompression "technical" diving. Especially so if the dive can be completed within NDL in another algorithm. I.e. if buhlmann 100/100 is NDL and you set it to 30/70 and have backgas decompression, it's not technical diving, that's extended precautionary stops IMO. If you have a 30 minute O2 deco hang, then yeah you're in a "real" ceiling. Deco Planner says I can go to 100ft on EAN32 for 33 minutes without having to stop on 99/100. It says I have a 4min 20ft stop and 7 min 10ft stop if I drop that to 50/70. I don't consider that technical diving. Now I've never actually run that math before, but to me less than 10 minutes of backgas deco is pretty irrelevant and if you're running relatively conservative gradient factors like that, you can still blow most all of that deco and likely come up OK.

I mostly agree, not all deco dives are ‘technical’. It is not black and white of course. People get bent on innocuous dives and people get away with blowing off apparently ridiculous amounts of deco.

This is beginning to resemble the "is scuba a sport?" threads that pop up once or twice a year. They go something like this:

Tom "I define a sport as [ABC], so it is definitely a sport."
Dick: "Well, I define a sport as {DEF], so it is definitely NOT a sport.
Harry: "You are both wrong. I define a sport as [EFG], so it is only a sport when the moon is full,"

40m for 25min on enx 28% gives run time of 49mins with 1min @12 2min @9 and 16min@6 that is achievable on twin 12s and just leaving 1/3 spare at 20l/min on a 50/80

at 100/100 gives
run time of 40mins with a 10min stop at 6m

Is this a technical dive or is this still a recreational dive

I don't thing anyone (other than possibly the French :) [1]), would argue that PADI is the largest diver training agency both in the USA and internationally.
If you with international mean that PADI is largest in total, i agree. But in big areas of Europe PADI is not the largest.

So if the French argue that PADI is not largest in France, they maybe correct, in the same way as PADI maybe not is the largest in some other nations either, especialy in places with a strong club tradition rather than a commercial tradition.

...I do not consider limited backgas decompression "technical" diving. Especially so if the dive can be completed within NDL in another algorithm. I.e. if buhlmann 100/100 is NDL and you set it to 30/70 and have backgas decompression, it's not technical diving, that's extended precautionary stops IMO. If you have a 30 minute O2 deco hang, then yeah you're in a "real" ceiling. Deco Planner says I can go to 100ft on EAN32 for 33 minutes without having to stop on 99/100. It says I have a 4min 20ft stop and 7 min 10ft stop if I drop that to 50/70. I don't consider that technical diving. Now I've never actually run that math before, but to me less than 10 minutes of backgas deco is pretty irrelevant and if you're running relatively conservative gradient factors like that, you can still blow most all of that deco and likely come up OK.

Light deco? I use less than 15 minutes

I don't think it's too hard to classify different computers into Rec vs Tec based on their algorithm.
It’s more than that. If it locks up with omitted deco that’s not acceptable for a tech computer. A decent tech computer needs to always be provide useful data, not going ‘wow, you’re so screwed.’

All dives do involve decompression, but not all dives require mandatory decompression stops. In modern usage, the phrase "decompression dive" has taken on a special meaning, and when people use that term, they are specifically referring to dives that require mandatory decompression stops. When a combination of words takes on a specific meaning in common usage, then that meaning may be different from the meaning of the individual words taken separately, as is true in idiomatic terms in all languages. In modern scuba discussions, "recreational dive" means a dive with no mandatory decompression stops, which is different from a "decompression dive," which means a dive with mandatory decompression stops. Picking apart the words and quibbling with the common use of the phrase would be the same as saying the common English question "What's up?" can only refer to things like airplanes and clouds.
That’s why the term min deco is used.

This is beginning to resemble the "is scuba a sport?" threads that pop up once or twice a year. They go something like this:

Harry: "You are both wrong. I define a sport as [EFG], so it is only a sport when the moon is full,"
There is still plenty of helpful information in here. Hearing people who know what they are talking about debate the nuances of, and training required to perform these dives, is really helpful for noobs like me to get a better understanding of this stuff.

The guys on The Great Dive Podcast actually brought that up a few weeks ago. By the actual, literal definition of "sport", scuba diving is not a sport. A sport requires competition. Outside of random records, there isn't actually any competition in scuba. It is more closely aligned with recreational activity.

Things like free diving are actually a sport because there are apnea competitions, but there are no such things that I'm aware of for scuba.

That one is actually pretty black and white if you follow the actual definitions of the word, provided that definition comes from Oxford... If it comes from Merriam-Webster, they allow "physical activity engaged in for pleasure" to count, in which case scuba would be a sport :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom