Question about learning deco procedures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 5 second Google search produced found this dive centre offering PADI/SSI/CMAS training. Nothing to do with the national organisation.

Many dive centres offer CMAS training and don't say with which of the many CMAS member organizations they are actually affiliated, because the CMAS brand recognition is better. Nevertheless, CMAS is an umbrella organization like RSTC. Instructors can issue cards only by the organization that they are a member of. This Cuban center will probably provide FCAS training and cards (Federación Cubana de Actividades Subacuáticas).

Which definition? Do a rue search and you find a lot of variety.

... provided that definition comes from Oxford... If it comes from Merriam-Webster, they allow "physical activity engaged in for pleasure" to count, in which case scuba would be a sport :p

Lots of interesting things are going on in this thread..

Here are my thoughts, which are based on the current typical US training programs.

Decompression diving used to be a regular part of the curriculum in recreational "Advanced" classes years ago because it was taken for granted that anyone diving should be capable of safely executing a dive plan that includes decompression diving. During the "Advanced" class that I took in 1982, as part of the course we executed a decompression dive off the wall of Roatan, and this was nothing that unusual.

However, if you look at the basic entry level course back then, which was the gateway to all things diving, it typically lasted 4 weeks long with 2-3 hour sessions multiple times a week, incorporating roughly ~40+ contact hours BEFORE check-out dives. The advanced class that I took in 1982 also lasted an additional 4 weeks and included advanced physics, physiology, environment, etc. with practical application. The material I was required to learn to earn my "advanced" card in 1982 is now typically reserved for leadership courses (Divemaster through most agencies, or Master Scuba Diver through NAUI).

Fast forward to today, most recreational divers earn their beginning certification in 3 or 4 days. They may have some self-study (e-learning, books, etc) but their academic and pool time probably totals up to about 12 contact hours before check-out dives. A modern "advanced" class is typically 6 additional experience dives, run over a 2 or 3 day course, with little additional academics. The modern approach favors smaller, more easily digestible bites, over multiple additional "specialty courses" as opposed to intensive/immersive all-encompassing programs.

I'm not trying to cast judgment on the pros and cons of the old school approach versus the modern approach. While I think the old school approach made well rounded divers, it was not really necessary to go through all of that for the person that simply wants to go do a couple of 60' reef dives while on vacation in the Caribbean. Additionally, the once a year diver is likely to forget how many pounds of lift a bag that displaces 1 cubic feet of water can provide in a lake (nor are they likely to need that information), so why waste their time cramming it down?

Some agencies and instructors still hold on to the "old school" approach and there's nothing wrong with that. I taught scuba for a total of 10 years between 1996 and 2016 in a university program that was very old school and I believe that the divers that came out of those university courses were substantially better rounded than the ones I've either seen, or grudgingly taught through a dive shop that's now defunct, but that is because we had an advantage of a full semester for an OW course.

The trade-off between the two schools of training is that a modern "advanced" diver is not sufficiently prepared for decompression diving. In reality, the modern advanced diver is a beginner with training wheels that needs to go and gain additional experience in conditions that are similar that in which they've trained. Different people progress at different paces, but generally speaking, a person interested in decompression diving should have, at a minimum, 50 dives under their belt, and I would go so far as to say 25 of those dives should be in the gear configuration they plan to use (doubles or sidemount).

My recommendations for the person interested in decompression diving would be to:

1. Take RESCUE. Yes, it's true that you'll never wake up on a Saturday morning and say "I want to go RESCUE Diving today!" but the course helps you to identify things that can potentially go wrong and then avoid them so you don't need to do a rescue.

2. Take either an Intro to Tech, Sidemount, or Fundamentals course, or if they're in the Southeast US or Mexico I would suggest taking a Cavern course (or maybe a basic cave course).

4. Gain some experience. Go diving and hone those skills. Then take a deco course.

Ken

...A modern "advanced" class is typically 6 additional experience dives, run over a 2 or 3 day course, with little additional academics. ...

There have been many criticisms of PADI's decision to use the word advanced in it's AOW class. Without wishing to rehash that debate for the millionth time I have to agree that it can be a bit misleading. It means an advance on open water in the same way advanced nitrox means an advance on the basic EAN course.

For a long time (and for the reasons you give) PADI provided a training program aimed at the no-stop "market". As more people came to want more out of their hobby PADI responded with the DSAT program which introduces planned decompression.

We are all stuck in the issue of semantics. Rec vs Tec and so on. In truth there is a smooth progression available through a range of programs offered by a range of agencies, which allow the modern diver to gain the training they require to undertake dives that would have been on the edge of what was possible 40 years ago. Trimix and cave diving together with rebreather technology were near science fiction when I took my OW class.

I have friends with an OW or AOW card in their wallet that dive, on holiday, every few years or so. Not every diver is working out there next stage in the training treadmill and which PIC to add to their long list this time round. Sometimes I think we enthusiasts forget that we are the minority - the odd ones out. I think it's great that a basic and inexpensive training program is readily available and open to more or less anyone that wants to try out diving. Lets just rename AOW as OWPlus or similar.

There have been many criticisms of PADI's decision to use the word advanced in it's AOW class. Without wishing to rehash that debate for the millionth time I have to agree that it can be a bit misleading. It means an advance on open water in the same way advanced nitrox means an advance on the basic EAN course.
You can read the history of the AOW certification in this history of NAUI.

A half century ago there were only a few places to get certified to dive, and there was only one diving certification other than instructor. The Los Angeles County program noted that the vast majority of people they certified as divers quit diving altogether soon after certification. They decided that divers might stay interested if they took a class that featured different kinds of diving that might pique their interest, and they created the first advanced diving certification. NAUI, which had been started largely by the former director of the Los Angeles program (Al Tillman), agreed and added the AOW certification as well. It was then the only class you could take beyond the basic certification, so it made sense to call it "advanced."

You will notice that PADI had nothing to do with it. PADI added the AOW certification to its program some time after that. It already had that name--PADI did not invent it.

TWhat you said above doesn't exist.

Mea culpa. I read too fast and missed the word "depth," and apparently there might be a series of fewer courses, but I suspect the list I laid out is one of the less expensive routes.

Mea culpa. I read too fast and missed the word "depth," and apparently there might be a series of fewer courses, but I suspect the list I laid out is one of the less expensive routes.

I think the quickest and least expensive (route to achieve what the OP asked for) is the option I mentioned earlier: PADI Tec 40.

A half century ago there were only a few places to get certified to dive, and there was only one diving certification other than instructor. The Los Angeles County program noted that the vast majority of people they certified as divers quit diving altogether soon after certification. They decided that divers might stay interested if they took a class that featured different kinds of diving that might pique their interest, and they created the first advanced diving certification. NAUI, which had been started largely by the former director of the Los Angeles program (Al Tillman), agreed and added the AOW certification as well. It was then the only class you could take beyond the basic certification, so it made sense to call it "advanced."

You will notice that PADI had nothing to do with it. PADI added the AOW certification to its program some time after that. It already had that name--PADI did not invent it.

Thanks for that - most interesting.

I think the quickest and least expensive (route to achieve what the OP asked for) is the option I mentioned earlier: PADI Tec 40.

Quickest and cheapest are not always good.

no one likes the French so I doubt anyone would argue with that....
Their toast is really good, and they apparently invented kissing.

Back
Top Bottom