Your decompression experience at Truk Lagoon...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to Truk twice. The first time I was an EANx Deep certified diver, so not certified for decompression. I had a good time, but vowed to complete deco training and return.

After that trip I completed my PADI TEC 50 (decompression dives with two deco gases)

In September this year (2018) I went again, for 7 days. We completed 13 dives, 12 involved some level of decompression. It was a MUCH better trip.
I dived twin AL80 with 1 stage cylinder of 50% and a shared 100% hanging under the boat.

Truk is an absolutely awesome place to dive, but if you don't have any deco certifications you will be left wanting. Make it a trip of a lifetime and get your deco certs.

Both trips we stayed at Blue Lagoon Resort (land based) and I'd stay there again. Most of the wrecks are within a 20 min boat ride from blue lagoon (the Oite is furthest at 40 mins). The liveaboards really don't move around much as the wrecks are all in the same general area. The big benefit of liveaboards is typically steaming through the night and arriving in a new location. In Truk you already are in location.

Blue lagoon split groups up by experience levels in groups of around 6 divers and you get to pick which wreck you dive both morning and afternoon, so very flexible.
We travelled with 17 people and had a tec boat, and 2 advanced (no deco) diver boats. I think this is better than the liveaboards where they schedule a dive and everyone dives the same dive.

There are photos of the Blue Lagoon dive boats on tripadvisor here: TRUK BLUE LAGOON RESORT - Updated 2018 Hotel Reviews (Chuuk, Federated States of Micronesia) - TripAdvisor

My favourite dives are Nippo, San Francisco Maru and purely for the history and mystique the Oite.
Nippo: Deck 40m
San francisco Maru: Deck 50m
Oite: Deck 57m

There are some dive slates available with depths if you google, or I found you some here:
Nico et Daniel with Keywords: Dive slates
or here:
Marco Carnovale: Search results for chuuk

My favourite dive to date was on the Oite. Vid here:

Mike

As far as I am concerned all the wrecks in Truk are interesting. Even the shallow airplane wrecks Betty and Emily are a joy to look at.
Go there as AOW and have a blast. 5 dives a day is indeed very demanding physically so do keep yourself FIT. After this trip you should have a rough idea how many of those wrecks worth a thorough dive(decompression) on your next visit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom