Deep 6 vs. Dive Rite Regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drk5036

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to put together my first open water diving kit. An important detail of this is that I currently live in Japan, which makes the process of putting the kit together a little bit difficult, as I have to somehow get them here. I'm currently trying to decide whether I should buy my regs from Deep 6 (signature) or DGX (Dive Rite). The plus of ordering from DGX is I can get free international shipping. Ordering from Deep 6 I'd likely have to order to a friend or family's place and pick them up when I head back for the holidays. I've batted it around this decision a lot. I'll also be buying a BP/W setup, where I'll either go Deep 6 or DGX to match where I purchase the regs from.

Deep 6:
+currently the "popular" option, with a lot of people saying they're the best breathing regs.
+I like the 20 lbs wing option that comes with there BP/W
-I'd have to pay for shipping, which means I have to wait to get it (not really a huge deal, not planning on diving until winter vacation anyway)
-I'd have to arrange the servicing to be done at a time when I'm in the US
-no option for flex hoses, and I'd have to install a pivot joint myself if I want to go 40 inch primary donate
-don't currently have DIN first stages available (since I do mostly travel diving, likely not an issue really)

Dive Rite:
+a more "traditional" brand with a longer history
+seems to be popular with tech divers?
+I like the DGX streamlined setup, which includes flex hoses and the 40 inch primary donate setup at the time of ordering
+maybe I can get them serviced in Japan?
-maybe not as good of a breather as the Deep 6?

In general, the cost between the two isn't much. I think the Deep 6 BP/W setup is slightly more expensive than the DGX travel option, but it's basically a wash as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have any advice for me towards making this decision? Thanks for your help!

Dive Rite will still be here in 20 years.

Deep 6 you can buy service kits yourself and have serviced anywhere

I am pretty sure you can get ther service kits for Dive Rite regs to. Especially if you talk to them and explain your remote situation. Any decent service shop can service either.

I am a little confused by your "DGX/Dive Rite" descriptions. They are not the same company. And Doesn't Deep six, sell another product through DGX? I am wondering if you are referring to the DeepSixDGX regs? Or the Dive Rite XT regs.

And does anyone really care if their regs match their BC? I don't really care, but if anything, I tend to mix it up! I am not a walking Billboard for anyone! *although I will entertain offers of sponsorship. :wink:

I just got very flexible rubber hoses from Deep6, with some first stages, not like my older rubber hoses. I understand there are new flexible rubber hoses, I haven't tracked if they have the inner material decomposition issue. And I really like my Deep6 regs.

I am pretty sure you can get ther service kits for Dive Rite regs to. Especially if you talk to them and explain your remote situation. Any decent service shop can service either.

I am a little confused by your "DGX/Dive Rite" descriptions. They are not the same company. And Doesn't Deep six, sell another product through DGX? I am wondering if you are referring to the DeepSixDGX regs? Or the Dive Rite XT regs.

And does anyone really care if their regs match their BC? I don't really care, but if anything, I tend to mix it up! I am not a walking Billboard for anyone! *although I will entertain offers of sponsorship. :wink:

Sorry I should have been clearer. Of course I don’t care if my bc and regs match, but in this case I will likely order both from the same place. If I decide to go with the deep 6 regs, I would buy the deep 6 BC. If I decide to order the dive rite regs from DGX then I would get the DGX BPW. This is just to simplify and lower the price on the shipping, basically, since both BPW don’t seem to be very different.

Or you could order the regs from us and we are already in Japan and have the DR's in stock - no custom clearance to worry about. Ship directly to you from Okinawa- have them in stock now. Also have repair kits. Also have BPs and wings.

Or you could order the regs from us and we are already in Japan and have the DR's in stock - no custom clearance to worry about. Ship directly to you from Okinawa- have them in stock now. Also have repair kits. Also have BPs and wings.

Another example of why ScubaBoard is wonderful...

Wow, thanks for the information! Regarding the regulator set, that works great. Originally I had thought about getting the Travel Pac BC, but ultimately had been talked out of it, in favor of a "traditional" back plate setup. Do you guys also sell those kinds of setups with all the nuts and bolts to get it running? Would you recommend something like the Travel Pac if (for the next few years at least) all of my diving will be done via travel?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom