G260 vs alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are you talking about?
Trimix fills for my friend taking a trimix course. Several dives and the $ run up. Got go, getting camera ready for night dive if we goo.

Trimix fills for my friend taking a trimix course. Several dives and the $ run up. Got go, getting camera ready for night dive if we goo.
For More than one tank, right?

same here. I also find a "leatherman" style muilty tool comes in handy when I'm traveling.

View attachment 796343

But... mine is better - because it also has a bottle opener. :wink:

I do take a multi-tool or two when I go anywhere. But, my new adjustable wrench doesn't just go on trips. It goes in the water with me. I do not take any other tools in the water (currently, anyway).

He's talking about 300' dives. So, yes, he's talking about filling doubles with pretty lean trimix. Probably something like TX12/65.

65% helium into double 120s is roughly 160 cu-feet of helium. I wouldn't be surprised if helium is more than $3 per cu-ft in Egypt. So, one fill of double 120s would be almost $500 (at $3/cu-ft, and it could easily be more).

So, one fill of double 120s would be almost $500 (at $3/cu-ft, and it could easily be more).

Holly air if this is true in Egypt. It is much cheaper in Libya thank God. Life isn't pretty here but there are some advantages. Gas 95% is only $0.10 a gallon here. Please don't be jealous :)

Yes, his fills for himself and the instructor are about $1400, maybe a little less, I cannot recall the exact amount because he did not want to confess to me the amount o_O. The only thing down there to do is to futz with the fancy tech gear, all the pretty fish are up on the shallow reef, ha!:stirpot:

To help steer this discussion back towards the OP's original question, while Scubapro's quality of component manufacture is unquestioned, since the OP mentioned looking at DGX, DGX's value when looking for an improvement is similarly unquestionable.
Pick either one of the DGX house regs:
The D6 has a smaller case that is very abuse resistant, and a standard barrel and poppet mechanism that is very much like the G250. Flow measurements are amazing for this second stage! So if a noted above, a smaller form factor is the main driver, the D6 is a good choice.
If you want a step-up in technology like the G260, consider the advantage of a microadjust in the knob mechanism. The G260 sells for $549. The DGX XTRA, with a similar microadjust and a case very much like the G260, retails for $174. Component quality is excellent and I'm very impressed with its performance. About the only missing feature is a locking purge button.
One company sells direct, and one company supports the dealer model. One company makes a modest profit. The other takes a much larger gross and supports a worldwide distribution network and many, many dealers who also have to make a profit, and Scubapro still does fine.
For those that believe it might be necessary to get service or a part on a foreign dive trip, then Scubapro's price might make sense. Not to me. For those who (like me) like to support our legacy LDS's, and feel that there's always a need for brick and mortar despite Amazon, then Scubapro's price makes occasional sense. But more as a community donation than as a smart economic decision.
Does DGX or a Divers Direct help destroy the local LDS model? Perhaps. There are fewer and fewer successful Mom and Pop grocery stores.
But you can't argue the benefit to the consumer of a combination of greater selection and lower prices. Try the DGX...

:stirpot:

I think it was Dahab or perhaps it was a dream but I walked into a dive shop in this dream that happened to sell Scubapro. I did not see any DGX about :poke:. In the far end of the shop I noted an oddly beautiful halo of angelic light emanating from a large glass case. In awe and wonder I approached, at first cautiosly but then with anticipation as to what my eyes beheld. Before me lay an alter to Scubapro, a case chocked full of every imaginable Scubapro service kit and in environmentally friendly cardboard sleeves! Each labled and barcoded fresh from the factory. And my legs went weak, I fell to my knees asking the one above if I had died and gone to Heaven and this was perhaps my reward for having been a good little Scubaboard :rofl3: diver all these years. Surely they would all be so expensive I could not possibly purchase them and this was all a tease. But no, they were cheap, I grabbed Scubapro kits tossing them into the air and onto the counter. If this was a dream, I better go downstairs and see if the kits are in my kit box! I hope I do not wake up from this dream, because by golly, my service kit box is crammed full of Scubapro kits! Sometimes dreams come true, if you stay true. :stirpot:

Just a couple of 35+ years old still serviceable Scubapro G250s:

On the G250s with Mark 2 Evo at 120 feet, from below a 'cuda tornado looking upward:

I think it was Dahab or perhaps it was a dream but I walked into a dive shop in this dream that happened to sell Scubapro. I did not see any DGX about :poke:. In the far end of the shop I noted an oddly beautiful halo of angelic light emanating from a large glass case. In awe and wonder I approached, at first cautiosly but then with anticipation as to what my eyes beheld. Before me lay an alter to Scubapro, a case chocked full of every imaginable Scubapro service kit and in environmentally friendly cardboard sleeves! Each labled and barcoded fresh from the factory. And my legs went weak, I fell to my knees asking the one above if I had died and gone to Heaven and this was perhaps my reward for having been a good little Scubaboard :rofl3: diver all these years. Surely they would all be so expensive I could not possibly purchase them and this was all a tease. But no, they were cheap, I grabbed Scubapro kits tossing them into the air and onto the counter. If this was a dream, I better go downstairs and see if the kits are in my kit box! I hope I do not wake up from this dream, because by golly, my service kit box is crammed full of Scubapro kits! Sometimes dreams come true, if you stay true. :stirpot:

Just a couple of 35+ years old still serviceable Scubapro G250s:

On the G250s with Mark 2 Evo at 120 feet, from below a 'cuda tornado looking upward:

What a beautiful and exciting wet dream. I am having a very hard time holding my tears. I wish that all wet dreams are like this amazing wet dream, I am shivering. I am all wet now (with my tears) 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Back
Top Bottom