4th Element Artic vs Halo 3D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am interested if anyone has experience diving both sets and can compare one vs the other? Obviously the 3D is warmer and I can find where it states it's the equivalent of a 400 gsm thinsulate suit, but I can't find what they compare the Arctic to? 200.. maybe 300gsm? I think my 250 thinsulate is warmer than my Arctics, but not by a ton.

I have a fairly new bag suit (coming from a neo suit) and I feel like I'm having to figure out undergarments all over again. I own Arctics and I really like them, but they're not warm enough in 35f-45f. I can get about 30 min and I'm a popsicle. I REALLY like the way they dive though.

I'm just looking to see if anyone has been in both and can comment?

I see heat in my future.. but I'd like to get at least an hour under without it, that way if I do eventually add heat I'll be prepared if that takes a crap.

I have been diving the Arctics a while now, and before that I dived a 200 gsm Thinsulate jumpsuit. I can't detect a difference in warmth.

I have Arctic tops and bottoms, but I only wear them in warm water. I'm talking Florida and Mexico Caves warm. I wouldn't consider diving them in actual cold water unless I was desperate. I also have Halo 3-D and found I needed to layer it with Xerotherm to make cold water diving tolerable in the 3-D. FWIW, I now have Santi BZ400X and it is much nicer than either of the other options. Much of my diving is cold water diving. Great Lakes and similar water temps where it is always <44°F below the thermocline.

I have been diving the Arctics a while now, and before that I dived a 200 gsm Thinsulate jumpsuit. I can't detect a difference in warmth.
Yeah.. that's good you say that. My 250 is only slightly warmer so I'm right in the same ballpark.

The way they dive though is completely different (to me). The thinsulate feels like I'm trying to balance on a beam with the bubble inside the suit. The Arctic is just smooth.. I don't have to adjust near as often with that (but I've also been diving that lot longer, I just got the 250).

Kind of why I'm interested in experience with the Halo 3D. If it dives like the arctic but is ~ twice as warm that might be perfect for colder temps.

I am interested if anyone has experience diving both sets and can compare one vs the other? Obviously the 3D is warmer and I can find where it states it's the equivalent of a 400 gsm thinsulate suit, but I can't find what they compare the Arctic to? 200.. maybe 300gsm? I think my 250 thinsulate is warmer than my Arctics, but not by a ton.

I have a fairly new bag suit (coming from a neo suit) and I feel like I'm having to figure out undergarments all over again. I own Arctics and I really like them, but they're not warm enough in 35f-45f. I can get about 30 min and I'm a popsicle. I REALLY like the way they dive though.

I'm just looking to see if anyone has been in both and can comment?

I see heat in my future.. but I'd like to get at least an hour under without it, that way if I do eventually add heat I'll be prepared if that takes a crap.
Just to start it with i have NOT bean in both but i just bought the Arctic expedetion about the same as the Arctic and i dive the Arctic with a base layer of xeotherm and xcore vest it works great 1 houre in 4c water wasn't cold wasn't sweating i was just fine really comfortable 😀 i got the Arctic instead of the halo become 1 the halo us way more expensive and i read it to be a lot more boyant while the xeotherm has almost no boyancy so it should be lighter

Just to start it with i have NOT bean in both but i just bought the Arctic expedetion about the same as the Arctic and i dive the Arctic with a base layer of xeotherm and xcore vest it works great 1 houre in 4c water wasn't cold wasn't sweating i was just fine really comfortable 😀 i got the Arctic instead of the halo become 1 the halo us way more expensive and i read it to be a lot more boyant while the xeotherm has almost no boyancy so it should be lighter
Arctic Expedition is no longer manufactured.

Buoyancy = warmth, generally speaking

Arctic and Xerotherm base was good for me for up to an hour in 38 degree F water.
Plus up to 45 minutes on top of that for deco in slightly warmer conditions above the thermocline.
2 X a day. I stopped doing more than 2 deep or 2 cold water (below 50 degrees) dives a day a few years ago. Too much stress on my body after that.
Now? I am pretty sure my cold water days are done.
I'm even thinking of selling my Otter Britannic 2 Telescoping Drysuit.

I have both Santi heated BZ400 and Halo 3D. BZ400 (without heating) is definity warmer than Halo. If you think you'll add heating in the future, why not just get a heated BZ400? It works just like a regular BZ400 without the battery, which is still one of the warmest undersuit on the market.

If you want to buy Fourth Element, check the new Halo AR too. I heard is as warm as a 3D but it's less bulky. I haven't tried one on. Maybe someone owns both could comment on this.

I have both Santi heated BZ400 and Halo 3D. BZ400 (without heating) is definity warmer than Halo. If you think you'll add heating in the future, why not just get a heated BZ400? It works just like a regular BZ400 without the battery, which is still one of the warmest undersuit on the market.

If you want to buy Fourth Element, check the new Halo AR too. I heard is as warm as a 3D but it's less bulky. I haven't tried one on. Maybe someone owns both could comment on this.
Well the thread was prompted by finding a good deal on a Halo 3D.. the AR is a bit rich formy blood
Buoyancy = warmth, generally speaking
It does, but thinsulate just seems like it's harder to manage underwater.

It could very well be that I just need more practice (in the 250). If it was really warm I would never had started this thread.. but it's not enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom