Drysuit undergarment - 4th Element Arctic vs. Waterproof Meshtec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyLitigator

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking to purchase undergarments for local diving (Southern California) and torn between 4th Element Arctic (meaningfully cheaper on Scuba.com and also comes in a Large Short and I have short legs) and Waterproof Meshtec (possibly more temperature appropriate and sold at LDS, but I have some sizing concerns and it's like 20-25% more). Thoughts? At this point it's just for a drysuit course but I will likely pull the trigger at some point soon.

It’s really just personal preference. Especially since you’re new to drysuit diving, I’d just use common fleece undergarments until you get settled in. You still have to figure out what weight undergarments you really need for your environment.

One good thing about the arctic - it stands up to use and washing well. Mine has around 500 dives and probably 80 machine washes on it and is still going strong.

It’s really just personal preference. Especially since you’re new to drysuit diving, I’d just use common fleece undergarments until you get settled in. You still have to figure out what weight undergarments you really need for your environment.
I agree with the above. When I first started a dry suit diving all I used was fleece and it was effective but cumbersome, Bulky on the surface and compressed quite a bit even with air in the suit.

I ended up going with the meshtec and have never looked back.

What I like most about it is that it maintains it's loft much better than anything else when under squeeze and when you balance the air in your suit the loft really shines

Now I dive with a base layer of Performance long John's, both tops and bottoms, then I put a medium weight fleece layer over that and then I put on my meshtech

I've used that combo in waters approaching 35°F And have yet to find it inadequate even after an hour

I dive a similar combination in 60° ocean water but instead of meshtec pants over a single fleece layer I just do a double fleece layer for pants while still wearing the meshtec top as above.

Just bought a second top as a backup from a place called Treshers. They have an online store and their prices were very good

No experience with the Waterproof but I switched from Arctics to Santi Flex190 and I find it to be warmer and higher quality, and can be ordered in custom size. I wear SmartWool baselayers underneath. Something to throw in your bucket of options.

Thanks. I've got a free shipping Arctic coming tonight (free returns) and may try the meshtec next week (first dive isn't for 2 1/2 weeks). Will see how they both fit. The "shorter leg option" on Arctic is what intrigues me.

I don't really know anyone who uses the meshes, vs a bunch of people who wear artics which kinda tells you something... I tried the meshtec top once and the artics are warmer and longer in the torso for more overlap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom