Quality diving WITH topside in Japan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

E.G.P

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A good friend of mine is getting married in Tokyo at the end of March, 2019. Since I am coming from the states, I figure I will make a trip out of it and spend an extra ~2 weeks in Japan in early April. My wife and I are divers, but this is not the case for our 1 year old daughter or my parents (who have always wanted to go to Japan and who have decided to tag along to help with baby care in exchange for me doing the bookings and itinerary). Planning for this motley crew is a bit challenging, but since I am flying all the way to Asia, I definitely want to take the opportunity to get in the water while I am there.

After doing some research, it seems pretty clear that the best diving is in Okinawa and associated islands. Unfortunately, it also seems like Okinawa is not particularly great for much else. It just doesn't seem like it is worth the trouble of traveling all the way there for the topside attractions list I can put together for the other members of the travel party.

For those who know/live in Japan, I am curious what locations you think have the good combinations of diving and topside. Topside attractions could be cultural/historic or natural (my parents are nearing 70 but are fit and experienced hikers). Diving preferences are warmer water, reefs/walls/wildlife preferred over wrecks/caves/rock formations. I have looked into Yakushima which seems potentially interesting, though there isn't a great deal of info available on the diving there. I have looked at mainland Kagushima and Miyazaki as well, but again, have had a little trouble finding details on diving. We are all gaijin and would probably require a dive center with basic English/romance language competence.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Well you have the area right, once you get north of Kyushu you'll be hard-pressed to find warm water that time of year. However, you might be near cherry blossom season and there are shrines/temples and hikes pretty much everywhere.

I can put you in touch with a diving guide about anywhere. Just had a dive travel blogger friend of mine travel throughout Japan and she does not speak Japan and seems to have worked.
I like Ishigaki for the mantas and the beautiful beaches but Kyushu might give you more non-beach/watersport activities like onsen etc. although too cold for wetsuits that time of year. If you do want to give Ishigaki a try, talk to Prime Scuba. PM me if you have more questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom