Question about baggage and transfers at Hamad International Airport (Doha)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron_dodge

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I are headed from the US to Raja Ampat this January and ended up choosing to fly Qatar Airlines. Our route takes us from the US East Coast to Doha (Hamad International) and then on to Jakarta. This isn't our first trip to Indonesia but, it is our first time flying east to get there. Our usual route is through Tokyo or Singapore.

We usually pack a bottle of alcohol in our checked bag to enjoy after diving on the liveaboard. Does anyone have any insight on if we'll have issues with the checked bags in Doha?

I don't think so since we'll be on Qatar Airlines from the US all the way to Jakarta so we shouldn't need to handle our bags or recheck them in any way (I hope).

Just thought I'd ask since I know Qatar is very strict about bringing alcohol into the country.

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry. Your bags will be checked through so they don't get checked by immigration in transit airports. In any way just one bottle of alcohol is usually OK even for "strict" countries

You'll have no issues. In fact, if you have access to the business class lounge you can even enjoy a glass of wine or a beer in the airport. I average 150-200K miles a year for work and Hamad International is one of the few airports where I don't mind having a long layover. It is quite literally one of the best airports in the world. Qatar Air is also nice to fly with even in Economy.

You shouldn't have any issues if your bottle is in checked baggage and you are transiting Doha.

Entering we had no problems but when we left Jakarta we were delayed when they found rubbing alcohol we took for ear beer. After multiple people came to look at it (not being able to speak english) asking what it was we finally just said keep it. Cost is .97 at home, was actually funny, they didn't have a problem bringing in 2L of tequila but had a problem with 6 oz of rubbing alcohol in checked luggage leaving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom