Diver dies at Molokai on Maui dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As mentioned above except we all removed our fins and put our arm through the fin straps as we approached the boat on the line. When the ladder dipped down you'd put your feet on a rung, hang on, and let the rising boat lift you up out of the water and scramble up the rest of the way before it sunk down again.

The swell the day we did it was running 4-5 feet. I didn't see anyone have trouble getting on the boat.

The amazing part is that there is a lot of speculation about this issue. I can state quite realistically that the stories of the crew doing things improperly is not accurate. The crew performed exactly as required, and as they should have. The person who started this whole thread is a former employee of Lahaina Divers. They are not a good source for information. I would suggest that they might have an axe to grind. This incident caused a lot of people some serious post incident stress, and to have them blasted incorrectly on a public forum like this did not help. I think that it should also be noted that the person died of natural causes, that had nothing to do with the dive, or diving. This incident was going to occur no matter where the person was located. The original poster should think twice before trying to grind an axe in a public forum.

The amazing part is that there is a lot of speculation about this issue. I can state quite realistically that the stories of the crew doing things improperly is not accurate. The crew performed exactly as required, and as they should have. The person who started this whole thread is a former employee of Lahaina Divers. They are not a good source for information. I would suggest that they might have an axe to grind. This incident caused a lot of people some serious post incident stress, and to have them blasted incorrectly on a public forum like this did not help. I think that it should also be noted that the person died of natural causes, that had nothing to do with the dive, or diving. This incident was going to occur no matter where the person was located. The original poster should think twice before trying to grind an axe in a public forum.
You just joined the board today and this is your only post. You chose to post your own unsupported claims with nothing to verify them.

If you’re trying to help LD, you should have taken your own advice and let sleeping dogs lie.

If the OP was an ex-employee, and that had not been pointed out before, then that is relevant information.

Also, I will note that it is possible to miss when a thread started. I have done that a couple of times myself.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Reminder of special rules in this forum.

New Rules:

• Someone has died or been injured. Please show the proper dignity,etiquette and refrain from any demeaning remarks. We discourage the family from reading thesethreads, but you can bet they stillwill. Let's be civil, sensitive and still remain relevant. This forum is only intended for learning and notassigning blame.
  • This is a strict 'No Troll' and 'NoChest Thumping' zone. It's not the place to keep repeating your favorite topic no matter how important orrelevant you may imagine it to be.Nor is it the place to tell us how this wouldn't have happened if they dove/taught the way you do.
  • You may not use real names here, until after they have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) Please cite the source if you do.
  • Discussions should only be about the causes, theories and remedies for these accidents. Off topic posts or those with off topic comments maybe removed without notice. Condolences, including comments indicating surprise and indignation,should be kept to the Passings Forum, legal action should be kept to the Scuba Related Court CasesForum and so forth.
  • If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, please cite the source. Links are preferred.
  • Those who can not seem to follow these rules will have their access to this forum quickly revoked. **As always, you should use the report button rather than bicker about possible infractions in the thread.*

The person who started this whole thread is a former employee of Lahaina Divers.

I am not and have never been an employee of Lahaina Divers. However, it appears that Ken Meers is the training director at Lahaina Divers per Zoominfo and this post on Trip Advisor.

Screenshot 2018-12-03 21.13.26.png

Screenshot 2018-12-03 21.13.40.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom