What is your favorite BC harness 'Weight Pocket System'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes I wonder if dive gear manufacturers really go out and dive their products, given all the deficient designs I see ? Also, what's stopping manufacturers from 'shopping their competition' and borrowing/stealing good ideas from smarter competitors to improve their own products ?
I really don’t know how to answer that. I’ve never sat in on a high level meeting in a boardroom of a major manufacturer so I have no idea what they talk about. There are a lot of “why’s” though when it comes to why they do the stuff they do.
I’m speculating, but I think some of it has to do with just getting stuff out there to keep cashflow going and completing their lines, I also think they might be using other generic designs not their own and buying the “rights” to re-brand some of that gear in some cases. And there is also the rumor that the designs you submit for gear to be made overseas doesn’t always get made exactly to your specs, sometines it’s way off.

@ Scubafanatic “Yuck”..... why is that? Please explain so I understand your basis

Velcro is a very unreliable weight securing technology (especially as the amount of weight increases) , and velcro weakens with usage and can grab up foreign matter, clog up the 'hairs', which also weakens it's stickiness.

I really don’t know how to answer that. I’ve never sat in on a high level meeting in a boardroom of a major manufacturer so I have no idea what they talk about. There are a lot of “why’s” though when it comes to why they do the stuff they do.
I’m speculating, but I think some of it has to do with just getting stuff out there to keep cashflow going and completing their lines, I also think they might be using other generic designs not their own and buying the “rights” to re-brand some of that gear in some cases. And there is also the rumor that the designs you submit for gear to be made overseas doesn’t always get made exactly to your specs, sometines it’s way off.

I suspect a lot of gear is designed by folks with no diving experience, so things look good on paper, but are never exposed to the reality-checks of diving under real world conditions.

Don't make a decision on a new weight system till you get a chance to look at the new DUI harness. The ripcord is gone and they've gone to a plastic bar that snaps in to hold the weights in place. Sounds weird but works VERY well. I bought one as soon as I saw it at dema.

Best part, the weight pocket assembly can be mounted on any 2" webbing.

Comes in a few different harness sizes and either a 20 or 40 pound version

I prefer the rip cord systems, Zeagle and DUI and possibly others. They have very secure release systems that are easy to operate and almost never loose weights accidentally like the buckle and Velcro systems do.

I just use a couple of cheap XS Scuba pockets to hold a maximum of 2 kg each on the waist strap of a BP/W setup. Easy and unobtrusive. I don't dive cold water.

I like the xs scuba weight pouches as well, they are easy to locate anywhere. I have them on all my rigs. Tank straps, waist strap, or shoulder straps. They hold 5lbs easily. And they allow you to easily change weight distribution for perfect trim.

Back
Top Bottom