What is your favorite BC harness 'Weight Pocket System'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have zero personal experience on this, having always used integrated weight BCDs. But the previous shop owner trained and supplied a ton of public safety divers, and used this item. (or perhaps a previous version, this looks like there are some recent changes)
THE "NEW" SEAWOLF™ Weight Harness - BC vests

I insist on diving generic customizable modular type systems, not the store-bought proprietary systems with a 'fixed' design. That harness isn't really what I had in mind, wearing two harnesses simultaneously (weight harness under BC harness) won't be the elegant solution I'm seeking, but thanks for the suggestion.

I use the Halcyon ACB pockets, or one ACB and one weighted bellows pocket, and a pair of their trim pockets on the upper tank band. If I needed more weight then they could handle, I'd dig out the weighted STA, but that isn't likely, since I'm not diving in cold water any more.

Yeah, the Zeagle system is just too Rube Goldberg for my liking.
Several people have noted dislikes for the Zeagle weight system(s). I’m interested in the Zeagle Covert XT, do these comments pertain. Anyone familiar with Covert XT BC weight system and able to provide specific comments?

I never could find a system I liked so I made my own with OMS weight pouches. I can get up to 13 pounds in each pouch. When I use a B.C. I normally use an 18lb OxyCheq with this system. Mark
jQ7Rut.jpg

v1vfqc.jpg

A lot of people have gone to heavier plates and attached weights to the plate/rig/tank band, then use a minimal amount of weight on a rubber belt just to have some reserve weight to ditch if the need ever arises. I would rather have a few chunks of lead on each side instead of a whole pouch. The release system is something that has caused considerable angst with manufacturers trying to figure out how to make an integrated system or pouches that will hold weight securely but still allow for easy ditching if needed with one quick and easy movement. Sometimes it pretty hard to improve on something so simple as a weightbelt.

I think the only Zeagle system that people have expressed dislike in this thread is the Zeagle Ripcord. Zeagle has other systems like the zip touch that I mentioned that are more mainstream. The zip touch attaches to your back plate and waist belt and has a zippered top to insert and remove weight. It also has a handle that will undo velcro to open the bottom of the pouch to drop weight quickly. The pouch sits vertically so that is closer to the backplate and more out of the way.
The Zeagle Covert does not have the ripcord system. Note that many people love their ripcord, but I'd advise checking it out in a store to see if you like it before you buy.

A lot of people have gone to heavier plates and attached weights to the plate/rig/tank band, then use a minimal amount of weight on a rubber belt just to have some reserve weight to ditch if the need ever arises. I would rather have a few chunks of lead on each side instead of a whole pouch. The release system is something that has caused considerable angst with manufacturers trying to figure out how to make an integrated system or pouches that will hold weight securely but still allow for easy ditching if needed with one quick and easy movement. Sometimes it pretty hard to improve on something so simple as a weightbelt.

Bigger pouches allow for faster ditching in an emergency (faster to ditch 2 pockets vs 4 pockets). Smaller pouches allow for a more incremental weight release, which could have it's advantages as well. Additionally though, 2 'big' pouches take up less room on the waist belt than 4 smaller pouches, and also have a greater max weight capacity to boot, important for those of us who need the extra space on the waist belt. Sometimes I wonder if dive gear manufacturers really go out and dive their products, given all the deficient designs I see ? Also, what's stopping manufacturers from 'shopping their competition' and borrowing/stealing good ideas from smarter competitors to improve their own products ?

@ Scuba Lawyer: I like the innovation! I too end up having to do my own gear customizations given the deficiencies/limitations I see in all the off-the-shelf products.

1E95B6E1-8486-4E30-84EB-E420D82815F8.jpeg
I think the only Zeagle system that people have expressed dislike in this thread is the Zeagle Ripcord. Zeagle has other systems like the zip touch that I mentioned that are more mainstream. The zip touch attaches to your back plate and waist belt and has a zippered top to insert and remove weight. It also has a handle that will undo velcro to open the bottom of the pouch to drop weight quickly. The pouch sits vertically so that is closer to the backplate and more out of the way.
The Zeagle Covert does not have the ripcord system. Note that many people love their ripcord, but I'd advise checking it out in a store to see if you like it before you buy.

From what I could find the Covert XT has an unnamed upgraded weight system to the Rip Cord or Rip Touch. Looks pretty functionally simple from my less experienced eyes. Comments?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom