What is your favorite BC harness 'Weight Pocket System'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
Over the years I've owned/experimented with weight pockets from:

Golem Gear (horizontal pockets eat up too much waist belt space)

Halcyon (5 lbs per pocket) (insufficient capacity, requiring the use of 4 pockets to hold enough weight, which eats up too much waist belt space, but otherwise fine units)

DiveRite (16 and 32 lbs systems) Are a tight squeeze when trying to fill to capacity, their pocket securing system isn't as well designed as it could be, their 16 lbs system IS better designed than their 32 lbs system though. Lost (and recovered by fellow divers) a weight pocket from my 16 lbs system on a recent 07/18 liveaboard trip), still puzzled how that happened ???

DeepOutdoors (a huge pain to load, somehow lost a pocket on a live aboard trip while diving, got rid of them)

Zeagle (don't like rip-cord based weight systems, bought a 'Ranger' as a brand newbie diver and didn't know any better at the time.)

Scubapro trim pockets (work fine)

.......and today my new Sea Soft 'Quik Ditch 40' pockets arrived for installation.

I hate anything solely Velcro based, or 'horizontal pocket' (which are too space inefficient and crowd out space for my other waist mounted accessories), and anything having insufficient weight capacity (meaning I prefer 2 large pockets over 4 small pockets, more pockets wastes too much precious waist space real estate.)

I like Fastex buckle securing systems, (1) large capacity pocket per side (because with smaller pockets I need 2 pockets per side which takes up too much room on the harness webbing waist belt and crowds out my other accessories.) Prefer a system that allows me to JUST ditch the lead weights, WITHOUT having to also ditch expensive proprietary weight pockets too! I prefer top loading pockets too.

Sort of neutral as to weather the pockets dump weights from the bottom of the pocket or from the top of the pocket by pulling out the weight pocket insert vertically.

The pockets I've been using in recent years are the Dive Rite ones, but now I think my new Sea Soft 'Quik Ditch 40' pockets will be even better, as they don't use any expensive proprietary pocket inserts, and appear to have a more secure closure/containment system than my DR units.

Over the years I've only lost 2 pockets (one lost forever, one recovered by fellow divers) but I'm a stickler for good, intelligent design and amazed at how the dive industry can still be selling so many deficient designs.

What do you folks like/hate?

I have zero personal experience on this, having always used integrated weight BCDs. But the previous shop owner trained and supplied a ton of public safety divers, and used this item. (or perhaps a previous version, this looks like there are some recent changes)
THE "NEW" SEAWOLF™ Weight Harness - BC vests

I've got HOG 10lb weight pockets. I like the design. They're easy enough to load to capacity and unload. They could be used on any standard waist strap...not just my HOG BC. If/when I get around to getting a minimalist BP/W (I went with the deluxe model)...I'll reuse them on that.

I've also got a pair of 5lb APEKS trim pouches. They work and there's nothing wrong with them, but I think they're overpriced for what they are (twice the price of the equivalent HOG pouches).

The Zeagle Zip Touch pouches use zippers to load and unload the lead normally, but they have handles and velcro for quick dumping. I'm not a fan of the rip-cord either.

Reactions: EdC
The Zeagle Zip Touch pouches use zippers to load and unload the lead normally, but they have handles and velcro for quick dumping. I'm not a fan of the rip-cord either.

When I used a weight integrated system, this was my favorite as well. The weight pouches are supported by the backplate, not just the waist strap. I did not find a enough stability in pouches that were simply threaded through the waist band. Aligned horizontally, the weights would not contour around my waist. Vertically, the pouches were not stable and rocked back/forth.

Our late colleague, TSandM (Lynne Flaherty) recommended using a rubber weight belt with a Marseillaise buckle. Been using that with some fancy schmancy hydrodynamic weights and have been very pleased. Some of my buddies have been beyond pleased with their DUI weight harness.

When I used a weight integrated system, this was my favorite as well. The weight pouches are supported by the backplate, not just the waist strap. I did not find a enough stability in pouches that were simply threaded through the waist band. Aligned horizontally, the weights would not contour around my waist. Vertically, the pouches were not stable and rocked back/forth.

Our late colleague, TSandM (Lynne Flaherty) recommended using a rubber weight belt with a Marseillaise buckle. Been using that with some fancy schmancy hydrodynamic weights and have been very pleased. Some of my buddies have been beyond pleased with their DUI weight harness.

My pouches are very stable as use 'keepers' and other belt accessories to keep them in place. I'm not really considering a DUI weight harness as I think it's potentially dangerous to remove one's flotation component while still wearing a weight harness.

Yeah, the Zeagle system is just too Rube Goldberg for my liking.

I've got HOG 10lb weight pockets. I like the design. They're easy enough to load to capacity and unload. They could be used on any standard waist strap...not just my HOG BC. If/when I get around to getting a minimalist BP/W (I went with the deluxe model)...I'll reuse them on that.

I've also got a pair of 5lb APEKS trim pouches. They work and there's nothing wrong with them, but I think they're overpriced for what they are (twice the price of the equivalent HOG pouches).

I'm not familiar with the 'HOG' system, so I'll check those out.

Back
Top Bottom