Old Dive Rite Classic Wing opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove a Hollis horseshoe wing until just a few months ago when I switched to a new classic XTwing. (Same as EXP but w the tougher fabric).

I had no problem with the horseshoe style wing, but the new wings do dive a little differently. With a horseshoe wing, I can feel/hear the air swooshe from one side to the other. It’s a little more controllable than in a donut wing. With the bungees fairly tight, the DT/ EXP does a pretty good job keeping things even. Not really sure which I prefer yet. They are just a little different.

My decision to upgrade was just based on a couple small things. Also diving an O2ptima, I like keeping my gear as consistent as possible, but my OPen Circuit doubles B.C. acts pretty much the same. I also think I get a little less drag with the gusset/bungees holding the wing in tight.

I dove a Hollis horseshoe wing until just a few months ago when I switched to a new classic XTwing. (Same as EXP but w the tougher fabric).

I had no problem with the horseshoe style wing, but the new wings do dive a little differently. With a horseshoe wing, I can feel/hear the air swooshe from one side to the other. It’s a little more controllable than in a donut wing. With the bungees fairly tight, the DT/ EXP does a pretty good job keeping things even. Not really sure which I prefer yet. They are just a little different.

My decision to upgrade was just based on a couple small things. Also diving an O2ptima, I like keeping my gear as consistent as possible, but my OPen Circuit doubles B.C. acts pretty much the same. I also think I get a little less drag with the gusset/bungees holding the wing in tight.
That is quite interesting to hear. I heard that the difference between the donut and horseshoe really comes down to preference. I was going to buy the new Classic XT but I am more than happy to use the older generation horseshoe Classic wing.

I have both horseshoe wings (two DR Classics) and a donut wing (DSS). It really is a matter of preference and just getting used to the behavior of the wing and the nuances of the internal gas movement. I find they aren't massively different but there is definitely a difference.

I’m used to my Halycon singles wing (40lb) so getting accustomed to the DR horseshoe wing is taking a bit used to.

I picked one up on sale years ago, probably closeout, for use with my old school 72 doubles.
The only operational difference I found, from an Oxycheq donut, was if I was head down and added air it tended to go to one side, no discernible issue flat or head up.

As far as use, I don't use it a lot so I don't know how it would age. Interesting bit the recall, I would have picked it up on my gear inspection, but have seen no problem, now I have to go check the numbers.

Bob

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom