Backplate and wing for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Todd_1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver with 6 dives, I am looking to buy my first bcd. I am looking to get a Dive Rite steel XT backplate with a Voyager XT wing and harness. At my LDS it is cheaper than the back inflate Scubapro BCD I was looking at. But I have only dive with Aqualung HD pro, and would like something that fits better.

You didn't actually ask a question, so I will assume a question from the hint in the title. Are you asking if a BP/W is a suitable choice for a new diver?

The answer is yes, there is no reason a BP/W would require more experience.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that it did. How long do you plan to be a new diver?

As soon a I get all my kit, not long. My 6 dives were amazing, in Catalina, Redondo Beach, and Palos Verdes. I can’t wait to get back in the water

I started diving with a jacket style BCD and recently converted to backplate and wing (BP/W). This was because i started to dive twins when diving in my home country. I liked it so much, that I bought a separate set for single cylinder holiday dives.

The advantages of BP/W
- Modular setup with exchangeable parts
- Very stable on your back
- The buoyancy is positioned above the center of gravity, therefore more stable in the water
- A fully inflated wing does not put pressure on the diver
- Fully adjustable to achieve perfect fit
- (can be) very streamlined

The drawbacks of BP/W
- It does not come with pockets, but you can add looses pockets to the waste strap
- Does not come with integrated weight pockets, but you can buy them separately
- Less stable at the surface as the wing can pull you forward. I did no experience this as an issue myself, but some people report that
- Normally, it does not come assembled. So you need to put it together yourself. There are lots of great instructions on the internet on how to do that. It is not difficult, just takes a bit of time.

So, if your question is: “Can a new diver use BP/W?”, my answer is: absolutely! For me, it was very easy to get used to, But you might want to take a test dive at shallower depth.

I do not know the specific items you are looking at, but I am sure that others can comment on that.

I’m a big proponent of people diving whatever they’re most comfortable in, whether that’s a jacket BC or a BP/W. If you want to dive a BP/W there’s no reason you can’t; one of our local shops actually teaches its open water class in backplate and wing. Their students do fine!

I use the DiveRite stainless steel XT Lite backplate and their deluxe harness for doubles, and like both. (For single-tank diving I prefer a jacket BC, but that’s a rather minority preference).

If you're looking for a beginner's setup, I'd suggest taking a look at:

1. Dive Gear Express BP/W
2. Edge-Hog Total Buoyancy Control System (with continuous webbing and a steel or Al backplate.

I think those are the easiest on the wallet. I have a couple used TBCS's on my website for $389. They've probably been used about 12 times, but if you're interested, given the number of dives you have, we should probably talk on the phone first to make sure one will work for you.

A BP/W is just another form of a BCD.
Anyone can put one on and go diving, so yes a BP/W is fine for a new diver.
You might want to have the shop help you set it up and fit it, then go dive it. You can do adjustments over time as you see fit and play around with it to get it perfect. I encourage divers to be as hands on with their gear as they can.
You will be buying your last BC first by getting the BP/W.

The backplate and wing you're looking at in the OP is fine. I would echo @VikingDives 's suggestion for DGX and HOG, they are reputable brands with good value products. Unless you are unusually tall or unusually short, don't worry about the sizing, they really are one-size-fits-most with the continuous webbing. Any wing with +/- 30 pounds of lift is sufficient for California diving. And, any stainless plate will do -- I don't recommend aluminum for cold water.

Whatever you do, don't let the LDS talk you into split fins. Those things are deadly, man.

And welcome to ScubaBoard :)

Back
Top Bottom