Suunto Core worth it over the D4i?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

should run for a few days from full charge
30 to 40 dive hrs depending on your settings (brightness etc) Suunto quote a min of 16 hrs but also note that at emps of 10C the battery life will be 50% of 20C - hence 30hrs+ for warm water diving

its air time include the time to make the ascent and time to spend on deco stops?
Yes.

( the eon core will do tech but is not per the owners manual supposed to be a tech computer)

I believe you are confuse with the wording in their warnings

"Not for professional use! Suunto dive computers are intended for recreational use only. The demands of commercial or professional diving may expose the diver to depths and conditions that tend to increase the risk of decompression sickness (DCS). Therefore, Suunto strongly recommends that the device not be used for any commercial or professional diving activities."

The terms Recreational and Technical as most divers (outside of BSAC, CMAS etc) understand them are a marketing term by the agencies

Suunto is using the word recreational to distinguish between normal divers and commercial divers The fact that it has settings for Helium and CCR means that it is indisputably a technical computer (to the limits of its depth rating of 80m

I will also add, that I do use Shearwater computers (Perdix) alongside the Eon for "Tech" dives (OC to 50m no Trimix) and can ascertain that there is really no difference between the Perdix and the Eon - even though the use different algorithms there stops and deco all come out the same. The choice between the two really come down to personal preference - although the Perdix screen and and graphics are an order of magnitude below that of the Eon. I've said it before on other threads, I find the Perdix a disappointment and it doesn't live up to the Hype

I'd be very surprised if you didn't keep diving.

Maybe, we shall see. I’m loving the equipment side of things, and it’s a much cheaper hobby than cameras. I have been diving a few times and not really enjoyed it, but being certified may help that - I definitely learned some stuff in the PADI elearning that made me feel more in control. Unfortunately, my certification looks to be taking place during basically a hurricane (if it even goes ahead) so I’m not expecting it to be too pleasant.

Can I ask about the Suunto Core, does its air time include the time to make the ascent and time to spend on deco stops?

It does if you set it up in the prominent view and you have the tank pod installed, will show you gas pressure and gas time. As you ascend depending on dive depth it will give you a safety stop for example 15 feet for 3 minutes with a count down in minutes and seconds.

Hope this helps. You can also download the owners manual at the Suunto website. The entire manual is only 49 pages and can be printed out as well.

Hope this helps

Glenn

Can I ask about the Suunto Core, does its air time include the time to make the ascent and time to spend on deco stops?
To Expand

Gas Time (remaining) is an optional data point available which can be placed in teh customisable data sets (location dependant upon which display mode you use i.e Classic, Graphical or prominent)

GTR is a function of you depth, mandatory and optional stops and instantaneous gas consumption rate. For instance if you're deep and inflating a DSMB you might get a warning because teh current gas consumption is to high if it were to be sustained over the rest of the dive.

GTR should never be relied upon. You shoudl always know your Rock bottom especially going into Deco, and your plan shoudl have accounted for sufficient gas from the outset.

You should now your RMV or be able to calculate it (independent of the computer) You can then use this info alongside your gas contents depth and stops to perorf yoru own GTR calcs in your head. If you can't you have NO business going near deco.

You shoudl also be able to calculate your consumption volume/m and translate that into pressure.

For me - my consumption rate is 12l per min (0.42 cfm) Now I dive 15L steels (HP120) so its more convenient for me to use a consumption rate of 15l (0.52cfm) which translates into 1bar (on a 15l tank)

So at 1 ATA I'm at 1 bar/m 2 ata 2bar/m and so on. Metric is easier than imperial.

However my point is, that unless you can do those calcs either in your head (preferably) or on a slate you shouldn't be in deco and certainly not be relying on GTR.

To Expand

Gas Time (remaining) is an optional data point available which can be placed in teh customisable data sets (location dependant upon which display mode you use i.e Classic, Graphical or prominent)

GTR is a function of you depth, mandatory and optional stops and instantaneous gas consumption rate. For instance if you're deep and inflating a DSMB you might get a warning because teh current gas consumption is to high if it were to be sustained over the rest of the dive.

GTR should never be relied upon. You shoudl always know your Rock bottom especially going into Deco, and your plan shoudl have accounted for sufficient gas from the outset.

You should now your RMV or be able to calculate it (independent of the computer) You can then use this info alongside your gas contents depth and stops to perorf yoru own GTR calcs in your head. If you can't you have NO business going near deco.

You shoudl also be able to calculate your consumption volume/m and translate that into pressure.

For me - my consumption rate is 12l per min (0.42 cfm) Now I dive 15L steels (HP120) so its more convenient for me to use a consumption rate of 15l (0.52cfm) which translates into 1bar (on a 15l tank)

So at 1 ATA I'm at 1 bar/m 2 ata 2bar/m and so on. Metric is easier than imperial.

However my point is, that unless you can do those calcs either in your head (preferably) or on a slate you shouldn't be in deco and certainly not be relying on GTR.
The reason I asked this is, as I'm pretty sure, the older Suuntos such as the Cobra did not include anything in the ascent in the displayed air time so you had to allow for the ascent time yourself.

The other question is, do the Steel and Core have the same behavior as the old Suuntos that would lock out for 48 hours if you violate a deco stop?

Suuntos that would lock out for 48 hours if you violate and deco stop
Yes if you violate a Mandatory Deco stop for more than 3 mins it will lock you out apparently. 600 dives on my Steel - never happened.

Not sure what the change will be when the Steel gets Buhlmann 16C later this year. It's only coming to the Steel not the Core

I’m young, so presbyopia is not an issue.
I don’t intend to do any recreational or tech diving (though hey, may change) after production.

Only diving I’m doing is as part of a film shoot in Africa, so it is basically dive (usally in very shallow water), set up cameras, exit water , come back and retrieve the next day. I think one of the dives filming Nile crocodiles is in about 6 feet of water.

I have a a few deeper dives and night dive in Lake Malawi and off South Africa, but nothing strenuous.
That said I do have leisure time in Mauritius, Madagascar and Comoros and might do some rec diving there.

Presbyopia is only part of the story: you need a very good amoled/tft screen to see it well in bright sunlight in clear water, the dull unexciting D4i screen may actually be better in those conditions. In the muck (I'd be surprised if Nile isn't) it's the opposite.

But you don't need a computer in 6 feet of water or 6 metres: ambient pressure at those depths is not high enough to drive "dangerous" amounts of gas into your tissues. So it won't really matter on those dives.

The reason I asked this is, as I'm pretty sure, the older Suuntos such as the Cobra did not include anything in the ascent in the displayed air time so you had to allow for the ascent time yourself.

The other question is, do the Steel and Core have the same behavior as the old Suuntos that would lock out for 48 hours if you violate and deco stop?

The cobra among others is an entirely different animal here. The eon core and eon steel are a whole different caliber of dive computer. Kind of like going from a propeller airplane to a jet. The technology is way better.

you need a very good amoled/tft screen to see it well in bright sunlight in clear water
The Eon does this well. Very readable in bright daytime Middle East sunshine - except with sunglasses.

The Perdix is also readable, but it's huge flaw is that teh screen is very reflective, and its only viewable in a narrow band, so you consciously need to move your arm. The Eon is viewable over wide angles so you can easily glance at it. Mighty useful when you're occupied with dsmbs and other underwater nonsense

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom