Search and Rescue - Scubaboard Staff Member - Northernone - Missing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated Info on possible Air Search charters from FL

@Sloeber , @mtngoat2674, @RayfromTX

Note: This pass was restricted to operators that listed Twin-Engine or Turbo-prop singles for safety - Some operators suggested the use of piston singles as noted below.
I've left operators that I contacted in the list that are not a possibility so that we don't make unnecessary calls.

Keys:
----------------------

Air Key West - Key West - Strong Possibility
- Charter
- Partenavia P68C Piston Twin
- Britten-Norman BN2T Turbine Islander Twin-engine turboprop
- Key West Flights, Air Key West Charter Airlines, Florida Keys Charters
- 305-923-4033
- Called: 3/19 10:30 Left Message for Owner Rob
- Talked to owner Rob:
- Experienced:
- Up to 500mi off-shore
- 8Hr endurance
- says it is very rough in KW today and would not be optomistic in current conditions.

Florida Keys Air/Duck Key Charters - Marathon, FL - Possibility
- Charter
- Piper Navajo CR-7 Piston twin
- Beechcraft King Air 200 Turboprop twin
- https://www.dkcharters.com
- 305-393-3646
- Called N/A Texted per msg 3/19 10:40 -
- Talked to Owner: Brian 3/19 11:20
- 5 hrs Endurance
- Figure 3hrs on station @ 170 miles out
- $1150/hr

AirStar Airways Florida Keys - Marathon, FL - NO - Not an Option
- Charter
- (2) Cessna 402 Piston twins
- Cessna 414 Piston twin
- Cessna Grand Caravan Turboprop Single
- Florida Keys Aircraft Charter Service | AirStar
- 305-395-6289
- Called 3/19 10:45: CAN'T DO Private Charter Search - "Call the CG"

Ft. Meyers:
----------------------
Paragon Flight - Strong Possibility
- Training Sightseeing
- Piper Seminole Piston twin
- Paragon Flight School | Pilot Training & Instructors in Fort Myers & Naples, Florida
- 3/19 1:12p Left Message for the Owner
- 3/19 Owner Chris - Direct Number: 586-943-7482
- 2 Twins - willing to cancel student flights if required
- Approx 2 hours On station @170-200mi out
- Approx $400+ /Hr

Beaver Aviation - Possibility
- Training
- Cesna 172
- Piper Seneca Piston twin
- Welcome to Beaver Aviation South Inc. Page Field Flight Training Center
- 239-939-6010
- 3/19 1:12p Spoke to Lubo - Chief Flight Instructor who would recommend the 172 for better visibility.
- 4 Hours of endurance w/ 172
- (My Personal assesment is that visibility is definately superior in the 172, but I would not be comfortable in a piston-single far offshore at search altitudes. That is why I restricted the listing to operations with twins or at least turbo-prop singles)

Aeronautical Charters Inc. - NO - Does not do extended over-water operations
- Corporate Charter $$$?
- Pilatus PC12 Turboprop single
- Aeronautical Charters, Inc. – Private Air Charter in Fort Myers, Florida
- 888-781-0101
- 3/19 1:40

Sarasota:
----------------------
Universal Flight Services / Universal Flight Training Strong Posibility - FLIR camera equipped, but limited time on station.
-Charter
- Beechcraft E-55 Baron Piston twin
- http://www.flyufs.com
- 941-210-4264 General 3/19 1:50, 3:50 to VM - Try Again
- 941-210-4410 Urgent
- 3/19 Talked to Jacob the GM
- Best Contact, his cell: 941-322-7012 backup number: 203-379-7678
- They have a FLIR-equipped Cirrus SR22 (single) that they could use - he loosely guessed maybe an hour on station a @170 mi. Was confident of reliability, even with a single.

Florida Flight Center - NO - Not an Option
- Training
- Piper, Cessna, Beechraft Piston twins and Turboprop Singles
- https://floridaflightcenter.com/
- 941-376-3500
- 3/19 1:52 They don't have any prop equipment - Use customer aircraft for training

Tampa / St. Pete:
----------------------
Tampa Bay Air Charter - NO - Not an Option
- Charter
- Pilatus PC-12 Turboprop Single
- https://tampabayaircharter.com
- 727-521-7373
- 3/19 4:15 Talked to ron 50mi offshore limit

Elite Air - Possible if Captain is willing - waiting to hear.
- Charter
- http://www.eliteaironline.com
- 866-569-5880
- 3/19 4:20 Contacting the Captain of the King Air.

Update from the divers today -

We had 4 divers ready to dive today, but only 3 went in the water as we had equipment problems for one of the divers. The short story is that they did not find anything that could possible belong to Cameron.

We had one OC diver who has done a lot of north side diving in Cozumel in the past and was familiar with the location and was able to provide great information about the north wall and how the currents play out. As it turns out he felt the current today was moderate, or close to normal for a typical day in the north. This means a 2 knot current, on average, which for most people would still be considered quite strong. This diver says he has never done this dive with a scooter and has never had problems with the expected down currents without the scooter.

The other 2 divers were on semi-closed circuits. The diver which didn't make it in the water was on CCR.

I apologize but I do not have the dive profile at this time. I will try to get it from the divers and will share it if I receive it.

The divers reported a mostly normal dive with currents running from south to north as expected. Upon approach to "Eagle Ray Alley" the divers encountered erratic currents, which again is typical in this location and was expected. They reported with the moderate 2 knot current their scooters were unable to hold them in place when they attempted to go against the current. Close, but not quite able to hold their position. They did hit the expected down current and found their scooters able to hold their depth by using the scooter to ascend (but didn't ascend). They also reported the currents quickly changed to an updraft, and then started spiraling, and at one point sending them south (backwards). Again, this is and was expected for Eagle Ray Alley, which is exactly why our eagle rays gather in large numbers right there.

The divers reported once they exited the Eagle Ray Alley location the currents again returned to the standard South-to-North flow. The section of Eagle Ray Alley which was tricky was very short lived. You enter it, get tossed around some, and spit out the back side in just a minute or two.

The dive Cameron and his mother plan has then getting to Eagle Ray Alley and then cutting in towards shore for their exit point. A normal dive for them did not have Cameron alone at this point of the reef and he would not normally be below the top of the wall. This means he'd be back to about 21m and rejoining his mother. (Side note - we take our experienced recreational divers here to see the eagle rays. It's tricky, but above 30m is usually not a problem besides strong current flowing north.)

One of the three divers noticed a bit of reef damage at about 50m near the Eagle Ray Alley. He said it appeared to be something akin to anchor damage with a few toppled over barrel sponges that were broken off. This area of the reef is not normally an anchorage point, and certainly not on the wall at 50m. (Side note - this location is miles away from the video Cameron posted of anchorage damage downtown.) When pressed if it could be damage done by a troubled diver he said it was possible, but he could not confidently say yes. Cameron's Deco Instructor from years ago was present today and noted that Cameron was highly challenged during his training and always performed superbly. We all agreed Cameron would not be your typical panicked diver grabbing onto the reef.

During their deco off-gassing they again ran into another waterfall. They reported swirling bubbles and bubbles taken down, and also Sargasso going down, and then just a few meters later a significant updraft and Sargasso now heading to the surface. Again, this is not unusual for the north of Cozumel. What was unusual was they reported the same type of circling downward currents when they swam off into the deep abyss.

Given the information gathered and upon reflection, the divers agreed there was nothing about that dive that someone of Cameron's ability would not be able to handle. Challenging, yes, but not something a skilled diver would not be able to overcome. The consensus between the three divers was Cameron most likely made it to the surface and is adrift at sea.

The only exception they saw was if the scooter Cameron was using somehow became flooded and thus became a 50lbs anchor. If, and I stress if, the scooter flooded the three divers agreed in a 3+ knot down current it would literally be impossible to unclip the scooter to free himself, thus dragging himself to the depths. It should be noted that Cameron didn't carry his scooter in a typical position clipped to the front of him. He managed to position his scooter so it rested above his legs when in a trim position (photos exist online showing his positioning). So if the scooter did flood, the awkward positioning would make a near-impossible task that much more difficult.

I don't have any further updates at this time in regards to the land, sea, and air searches. I know thus far they've turned up nothing, but I'll wait until I hear back from all of today's volunteers before providing an update beyond the diving. We have many resources out today and I have been unable to keep up with all of them. .

Much thanks to the brave men who completed the dive today - Ernesto, Osama, and Christopher. Also to Max for assisting even after his CCR experienced a failure.

Thanks for the update.
Hoping for the best.

upload_2019-3-19_18-18-27.jpeg

The dive profile from today.

The divers reported that at 60 meters it “looked like” maybe a slight shelf at 90m or so, and then another drop.

I honestly don’t know. I believe it drops well below 100m up there. I’d guess a quick online search will yield a map showing it. Maybe someone else can assist with a depth map?

The divers reported that at 60 meters it “looked like” maybe a slight shelf at 90m or so, and then another drop.

I honestly don’t know. I believe it drops well below 100m up there. I’d guess a quick online search will yield a map showing it. Maybe someone else can assist with a depth map?
Do you have coordinates?

I know nothing about cozumel... Except it's an island.

Drop a pin...

Screenshot_20190319-193043.png

Looks like it drops of "quickly"...

Screenshot_20190319-193808.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom