Can only dive 2 cenotes HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My thoughts were a deeper more sinkhole style of The pit gave me a chance to do some video and photos of the cool light penetrating and some other neat shots from below.

Was really drawn to the different formations in dreamgate. Figured they gave me 2 really different styles. Not against doing dos ojos, just seemed a bit more run of the mill initially.

No disrespect intended, but I thought the Pit was boring and just going around in circles.
Dos Ojos was better, but as others said, depends on where the dive op is going to put 2 sites back to back and near each other.
Dos ojos, the pit, dreamgate are all within a couple miles aren't they? So proximity shouldnt be an issue for matching up different sites. And im hoping that with no set operator yet and over 2 weeks of open schedule, I can make something work out. Even if it has to be a private trip.

So you werent impressed by the pit, but liked dos ojos. Which line did you do at dos ojos? Any others that you have enjoyed and were unique somehow?

.... Which line did you do at dos ojos? Any others that you have enjoyed and were unique somehow?
I did the Bat Cave line at Dos Ojos on 1st visit. I'm cave 1 certified but I'm more a spearo than a cave diver. 2nd trip we did Pet Cemetery for a dive which I thought was really cool. We used Protec the 2nd time and they were great. Like others said everyone is looking for something different when diving the cenotes.

I did the Bat Cave line at Dos Ojos on 1st visit. I'm cave 1 certified but I'm more a spearo than a cave diver. 2nd trip we did Pet Cemetery for a dive which I thought was really cool. We used Protec the 2nd time and they were great. Like others said everyone is looking for something different when diving the cenotes.
I'm flexible, I dry caved for years and enjoy large rooms, unique formations, cool dives, seeing different things. Exploring around that next corner. I'm easily pleased in other words.

If you are cavern certified Aerolito on Cozumel is a great dive. There is an upstream and downstream cavern. The upstream cavern is multi layered. Most people don't have a clue about the downstream cavern but it is huge. I would recommend contacting German Yanez on Facebook as a guide as getting tanks and weights on Cozumel can be a challenge.

I just did Ponderosa and Taj Mahal with Protec. Great outfit! Taj was beautiful. Some nice speleothems, good halocline, and a cenote with lots of bats.

If you are cavern certified Aerolito on Cozumel is a great dive. There is an upstream and downstream cavern. The upstream cavern is multi layered. Most people don't have a clue about the downstream cavern but it is huge. I would recommend contacting German Yanez on Facebook as a guide as getting tanks and weights on Cozumel can be a challenge.
Isnt the cavern zone of areolito rather small? Not going full cave until I have significant time for 2 years to train and practice. Want to do basic then practice for a bit and then go back for full. In a few years. For now I'm happy in OW and some cool caverns

If you don't have an op picked out, I absolutely recommend Cenote Xperience in Playa. If you can get Martin as your guide, talk to him about what you want to see and let him make the call. It's kind of his job and he is one of the best dovers I have ever dove with.

CenoteXperience - Cavern, Cave and Ocean Diving in Playa del Carmen Yucatan Mexico - Home

The Pit was nice, but the Hydrogen Sulfide layer at Angelita is much thicker and more dense. Dropping through is definately a gut check....but absolutely worth it! The ops use Angelita and The Pit as your first dives to gauge your buoyancy and air consumption before going to the other cenotes. Dos Ojos is pretty much a good first real Cenote dive, but we did Car Wash last time and it was better (for me) with more large caverns you could peer into. One good thing about Dos Ojos is there are two lines, Barbie and Bat, that if you felt like stretching it to 3 dives, that's an option without a drive. 3 dives was a lot, especially with having to catch the ferry from Cozumel in the morning and on the way back.

My wife did The Pit and Dos Ojos Barbie line and chalked it up to "been there , done that". While the cenotes I have dove all are similar, I never get tired of seeing everything...although some may say they all look the same.

I have two reviews of our last trips with Cenote Experience in the Cozumel Section here.

Have fun, safe travels
Jay

It is
Isnt the cavern zone of areolito rather small? Not going full cave until I have significant time for 2 years to train and practice. Want to do basic then practice for a bit and then go back for full. In a few years. For now I'm happy in OW and some cool caverns

It is a rather large cavern. It is silty and not as clear as the mainland cenotes but it is definitely worth doing in my opinion since you are on Cozumel anyway. The freshwater has dissolved the formations there and you have to get back in the Wonderland area to see any speleotherms. The upstream cavern is essentially 2 caverns and the downstream one is a big cavern too. I enjoy swimming around them on deco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom