Wearing mask on the back of your head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My opinion, for what it's worth.

Wear your mask properly, on your face over your eyes when you are in the water.
When entering the water, Hold your mask to your face, as you where taught!

Once out of the water, put the mask away, don't leave it on benches, or hooked over your gear.

One great way to loose or damage a mask is to fail to follow those three simple rules.

I have seen numerous people either lose masks at the beginning or end of dives because they are not wearing them properly. Or someone has sat on a mask on that was left on a bench, or a mask has been knocked overboard.

Someone also mentioned keeping your regulator in until you are safely out of the water, back on the beach or on the boat.
It is not unusual to fall on exiting, slip off ladders etc. Its always better to be able to breath, and see, if you are in, on, or under water!

I have mine either on my face or inside my fin Pocket

Sure, you can certainly do this. Or clip it to your BCD, or hang it on a tank valve (in such a way that it won't fall off the boat) But it's another step when gearing up and that means it goes on your face sooner rather than later, whereas if it was behind your head you could leave it there right up until you're ready to splash.

Several off topic posts prompted me to clarify.

This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with wearing a mask backwards when entering the water, diving under the water, or getting back on the boat. It isn't really even about wearing a mask backwards while floating on the surface of the water although I acknowledge I put that out there as another possibility.

This thread is about wearing the mask backwards on your head while on the boat or on shore during predive preparation prior to splashing to save a gear-up step, avoid loss or damage to the mask, and prevent fogging.

Yeah, I agree with caruso. Sometimes you just want to free up your hands and put your mask somewhere for a short time while you are gearing up, so it's not over your eyes but easily donnable. I don't do this when wearing a hood, since the strap goes under the hood. But it's a fine solution for when you are diving in warm water.

I personally put it on my forehead, since that makes it quicker to pull down over my eyes when it's time to get in the water. The reason that I put it there is that I'm not superstitious about finding the one person who will actually interpret this as a sign of distress, since that's an urban legend. Also, we are talking about doing this on the boat while getting ready to dive, not while in the water.

And I would be wary of boats that ban you for something like that.

I will wear my mask backwards and use this for my mask strap:

87069C71-DA8E-46D4-864A-10CB4CFDE164.jpeg

I picked up a tip this past week while diving in Florida. I noticed a diver walking around on the boat with his mask on backwards, and the lightbulb came on. I've been diving for almost 40 years and never even thought of it, it's so simple and solves an annoying issue.

One of the ways to prevent a mask from fogging is not to put it on your forehead after treating the lenses prior to a dive because your sweat will get up inside the lens and exacerbate the problem. Also if you're in the water and conditions are calm and you're waiting for the boat for example, you just might want to risk removing the mask from over your eyes so you can see what's going on around you or enjoy the view of the ocean or the coastline. Also there are some who still believe that a diver who is calmly floating on the surface of the water and isn't acting strangely may be in serious distress if they are wearing their mask on the forehead. Many divers don't like to drop the mask around their neck.

The solution- simply turn the mask around so it's on the back of your head. It's still very secure, and solves those problems.

I’ve always done this. See a lot of people here doing it. I always disliked a mask around my neck.

No, you just look like a wannabe and most of us think you are a wanker. Just carry it around or wear it properly, especially in the water at the end of a dive. IT WILL NOT FOG UP. Also do not put on your forehead while getting into the water or at the end of a dive, great way to lose it. A mask is there to keep water out of your eyes, leave it on till you are out of the water, it does not hurt you and it works at doing what it is good at, keeping your eyes clear of water.

In the same way, keep your reg in your mouth till you are out of the water, either onto the boat or on the shore.

Anyone who comments about whether my mask is on my face, forehead, or backwards is pretty much a “wanker”. I don’t care how many dives, or who owns the boat! And when somebody who doesn’t even know me, gives me the “you owe me a beer”, comment. You should understand that grimace on my face is me trying really hard not to call you a doucheb@g.

And for what ever it’s worth, I am typically walking to the water with a $hitload of gear, and both hands full. If I have a free hand, it will be because I need support getting In or out.

I will also add, that when doing longer dives, a typical practice is doing a few minutes of “surface deco”, relaxing at the surface before exerting your body with a climb out and upstairs etc. When my mask is (typically) on my head backwards, it has nothing to do with looking cool, or worrying about what some wanker thinks. It’s just a practical way to keep from dropping it when I have both my hands busy dealing with other stuff.

I’ve always done this. See a lot of people here doing it. I always disliked a mask around my neck.
If you have a reg on a necklace it is even more unlikable to put a mask around your neck as well. On the boat gearing up I’ll put it on my forehead.

If you have a reg on a necklace it is even more unlikable to put a mask around your neck as well. On the boat gearing up I’ll put it on my forehead.

Yep.

I can think of a couple off the top of my head- standing in shallow water waiting to enter on a shore dive
Just a month ago, I was pretty happy that I have this habit of wearing my mask and keeping my reg in my mouth unless I'm standing on deck or on dry land.

During a shore entry I slipped on a seaweed-covered rock in knee-deep water, fell and wasn't able to get up due to the surf. Being able to both see and breathe during those couple of minutes was highly appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom