Turtle Bite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Streydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So what do you think, shark bite when it was younger? Has anyone else seen this turtle? I think I took this picture on Delila but not 100%. It was last October.

GOPR7640.JPG

Many years ago while diving in Bonaire we saw a young hawksbill turtle with a rounded bite missing from it's shell - just like your picture. We also figured it was a long ago shark bite - and a very lucky turtle!

Not a lot of sharks around Bonaire, but you do see them occasionally - and turtles can travel and dive deep.

Or a croc bite:

Three meter crocodile on the beach
May 3, 2019

In Cozumel

COCOG1-2.jpg

By Gabriel Aguilar

COZUMEL, May 2.- A crocodile almost three meters long was captured by elements of the H. Fire Department and the Secretariat of the Navy on a beach in the south of the island, near Chankanaab Park.
Based on information from the Fire Department, it was announced that around 8 in the morning an operation began near a beach club located in the south of the island, where a large crocodile had allegedly been sighted. size in the sea.
This area is used mainly by tourists who descend from cruises, to have a restaurant nearby, although at that time there was no one because it was early, and to avoid an incident came elements of Fire, Civil Protection and Navy.
The members of the bodies of aid made an appearance in that area and after two hours of searching they managed to find the saurio that was swimming, for which they proceeded to implement a capture action achieving positive results.
They did a two-hour job to get the reptile out of the water, into a truck, with his eyes properly bandaged and the four legs held for safety.
The crocodile measured about three meters and was transferred to the firemen's facilities where it would be for a few moments, as staff of the National Commission of Protected Natural Areas and the Sub-Directorate of Ecology would take it to a natural reserve in the Punta Sur park , a new habitat where it would have to adapt along with the other crocodiles that exist in that area.

Tags: CancunCozumelQuintana Roocrocodilethree meters

Unlikely that was a croc. The ends of their snouts are thinner and more pointed, that looks much too rounded. Also, their (crocs) teeth aren't razor sharp and made for instantly slicing off hunks of flesh, like a shark's are. Their teeth are more for puncturing and grabbing prey, then holding on till it drowns, then violently twisting pieces off. That clean half-circle through a hard turtle shell was almost for sure done by a shark. (plus, sea turtles are a much more typical food source for sharks than for crocodiles).
But, speaking of Cozumel crocs, years ago, me and my cave diving buddy were going diving at Aerolito, near the Caleta. The cab driver was trying to get the cab down the little dirt road to the cenote, and we both got out of the cab to take some of the weight out (he was already annoyed at having the weight of all our gear and a big pile of steel tanks). As we were walking, the cabbie hollered out and pointed ahead, and we saw a crocodile crossing the clearing ahead and into the water !! We never saw it again, I'm guessing he crossed the cenote and out the other side back into the jungle.But we kept a real close eye out (for what it would be worth,LOL) until we were far back in enough that we knew he wouldn't possibly be around.

@ lionfish-eater that's pretty amazing that someone would snorkel out into the water an grab a crocodile(by the tail?) and drag it to shore, that's pretty ballsy.

The new Crocodile Hunter!

@ lionfish-eater that's pretty amazing that someone would snorkel out into the water an grab a crocodile(by the tail?) and drag it to shore, that's pretty ballsy.!

I'd be willing to bet that ain't quite how it happened ! :wink:

Over the last several years.

Croc swam thru the snorkel area at the Money bar. Snorkel boat operators tried lasooing it. Got free and was last seen running down the beach pursued by folks trying to photo it.

Croc strolls thru chairs at the Palancar beach club in the middle of the day. Great video on YouTube.

Evening at Paradise beach club, worker took a dip in the pool and found a croc from the mangrove swamp next door was also taking an evening dip. Worker got chewed up pretty badly.

The resident croc at the Caleta cenote. Workers used to bait it and feed it fish scraps. They would tap the rock with a machete and it would swim out. One day it leaped out and tried to eat the neighbors dog, luckily it missed her. I have seen lots of tracks in the ground around the cenote so it is not always in the water. Multiple sightings in the old Caleta and new marina.

Cancun lagoon:
Couple years back a US DM went spear fishing and got mauled up pretty badly and was evacuated out.

Last year a tourist at in the morning walked past the warning sign to relieve him self. Croc did not appreciate it, mauled him up pretty badly, think he lost a limb.

I try to give the Croc's a wide berth. They are not a theme park attraction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom