Deco regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subscribing for the ensuring fun... :coffee:

Have you considered taking a fundamentals class?

LOL! Marie's never gonna escape, is she?

On topic, there is no reason for a high-performance deco reg unless you plan Big Dives. Most run of the mill 250' or shallower dives will have you on back gas until the 70' stop anyway, and nearly any reg works fine at 70' and shallower. On the other hand, if you plan to spend quality time at 300', a deep deco mix can be helpful, and for those stops a better reg would be good. On the other other hand, if you plan to spend quality time at 300' or deeper very often, a rebreather is a better solution in my opinion.

I'm firmly in the "use a great regulator for deco" camp. It doesn't take much to end up on your deco reg longer than you were on the bottom, and having a sub par reg makes for a less than enjoyable experience. An adjustment knob allows you to tighten the reg down so its more likely to stay pressurized when its stowed. Also, a good deco reg can be cannibalized in a pinch to replace another reg that's malfunctioning or leaking in a pinch.

Excellent regs are super cheap on ebay, so there's really no need to use a trash-reg.

I was originally going to get current pony reg O2 cleaned, but for a number of reasons, I’m beginning to think I might want to have a separate deco reg. I can get a new DGX/Deep6 deco reg package complete with hose retainer and button gauge for $200. I could get an Apeks XT50/DS4 with a gauge for $250 used from a friend (he does a lot of used tank/gear sales on the side).

Does anyone have the DGX/Deep6 deco reg? All my current regs are AL or Apeks. I have no desire (or the tinkering ability) to do my own service.

Marie...

I believe I may be too late to help...

I have multiples of both shown...from DGX...both perform flawlessly...''as intended''...and for less $$$...

The first is depth performance rated/piston/open spring chamber...the second is sealed/diaphragm...ideal for cold Great Lakes water...and is available with hose colour of your choice...

Both complete/tuned/O2 cleaned...

Best...W...

DGX Deco.jpg
DGX....jpg

I'm firmly in the "use a great regulator for deco" camp. It doesn't take much to end up on your deco reg longer than you were on the bottom, and having a sub par reg makes for a less than enjoyable experience. An adjustment knob allows you to tighten the reg down so its more likely to stay pressurized when its stowed. Also, a good deco reg can be cannibalized in a pinch to replace another reg that's malfunctioning or leaking in a pinch.

Excellent regs are super cheap on ebay, so there's really no need to use a trash-reg.

Same here ... why would you pick a low quality reg for the potentially longest phase of the dive? Even with a good reg I always dislike the feeling of the first few breaths when changing from 18/45 to 50% and you really feel the different work of breathing ...

Btw the crappy deco reg is similarly flawed as picking a crappy reg for you backup (which you would want to be nice in that moment you really need it).

Ended up going with the DRIS Illusion stage package so I am use it as a backup if needed. It comes O2 clean. I’d much prefer to give my $$ to my local shop. I know a number of local folks who use the Illusion regs without issue.

Illusion Stage Regulator Package

Same here ... why would you pick a low quality reg for the potentially longest phase of the dive? Even with a good reg I always dislike the feeling of the first few breaths when changing from 18/45 to 50% and you really feel the different work of breathing ...

Btw the crappy deco reg is similarly flawed as picking a crappy reg for you backup (which you would want to be nice in that moment you really need it).
Crappy backup is bad. Simple unbalanced backup is good.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom