SMB Reel Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An auto-locking reel shouldn't be used for SMB deployment. It's a good way to get it ripped out of your hand at an inopportune time. The whole-hand squeeze ones are less likely to cause a problem than the clicker types, but it doesn't take much loosening of your grip to lock the reel and off it goes. The second issue, is that you cannot control the deployment speed of the line..

Interesting, and all good points. I never considered that and have yet to deploy the SMB from depth using my new reel. Also of interest is that this particular reel is marketed as good to use to deploy an SMB. Go figure.

Can't you use a finger or two on the spool to slow down the rate of deployment? Also there's no way to control speed of deployment with a finger reel either (other than squeezing it).

Interesting, and all good points. I never considered that and have yet to deploy the SMB from depth using my new reel. Also of interest is that this particular reel is marketed as good to use to deploy an SMB. Go figure.

It sounds totally stupid, especially with the Manta-style reels, but I know it first hand as I had BOTH happen to me, ostensibly on my TDI Extended Range course. Fortunately no current so when I lost it we met the reel at the 15m stop, but I felt like a complete idiot. So the next dive I squeezed the hell out of it and ended up having to wrap the line around the whole thing like I was tying ribbon on a Christmas present. Again, feeling like an idiot..... Although better to have it happen on an "easy" training dive than in anger with a sporty sea state and a couple hours of deco.

Fortunately no current so when I lost it we met the reel at the 15m stop, but I felt like a complete idiot. So the next dive I squeezed the hell out of it and ended up having to wrap the line around the whole thing .

Have you tried slowing it down by keeping one or more fingers on the reel as it unspools?

Have you tried slowing it down by keeping one or more fingers on the reel as it unspools?

That's what you've gotta do. The problem is that you're then lessening your engagement on the locking lever. The distance your fingers have to reach makes it sort of awkward to maintain enough pressure on the bar and apply enough pressure to the spool. Hold the lever with your index and middle finger and you're trying to pinch the spool between your thumb and your ring and pinky finger. Since they're non-opposing the amount of pressure you can apply is minimal, at least with my fingers and the reel size. If you're holding the locking bar with your pinky and ring finger, it's easier to slow the spool since you can use your index and ring finger opposing your thumb, but you're using your two weaker fingers to keep the locking lever depressed. I just found either way I tried it was a compromise.

If you use a sidewinder-type reel you can use your thumb and any finger you want to drag the spool as it spins. And since you're only applying force in one direction, it doesn't matter since you're not trying to squeeze anything. You also don't need to worry about having stubby fingers and a big spool section. A friend with small hands physically can't get her hand wide enough to apply sufficient pressure on a "vertically" oriented spool like the Manta.

Personally I grasp the handle of the sidewinder with my index, pinky, and ring finger, and use my thumb and middle finger to apply pressure. The reel is secure, and I have control of the spool as it unwinds. Since the only way to lock it is a locking screw, there's no chance of it locking itself. There will always be the potential for a birds nest jamming the reel, but that exists with everything that has line on it.

You could always use two hands, but then you've got both hands full.

You could always use two hands, but then you've got both hands full.

Thanks. I think the both hand method will work for me. We're only talking a brief period that both hands are engaged, probably less than 45 seconds even from 100'.

The DiveSmart SMB/Spool combo doesn't make sense to me, because the SMB doesn't have an Overfill Purge Valve (OPV). I did not think one could inflate those at depth, so why include a spool? The description says "Made from a 210D Nylon Fabric with a TPU coating for added strength in all water conditions to ascend without rupturing." Not sure if I trust that.

The DiveAlert one meets just about all of my requirements. Just note that you cannot use your reg/octo to inflate it.

My wife and I just came back from two weeks (42 tanks) diving Cozumel. I deployed my SMB 5 times. I do not dive without it.
@ggunn Hey Gordon - can I ask under what circumstances you deployed your SMB? Did you begin your ascent before or after the DM? Did the current separate you significantly from the group? Thanks.

@ggunn Hey Gordon - can I ask under what circumstances you deployed your SMB? Did you begin your ascent before or after the DM? Did the current separate you significantly from the group? Thanks.

He and his buddy (or group) were probably diving with an Op (other than Aldora) who allows buddy pairs or groups to ascend on their own at their discretion so I'll wager a guess that Gordon simply ascended when he, his buddy, or another member of his group (if any) was low on gas.

Does anyone know of a SMD/Reel combo that is decent, IE: it comes all together? SMD doesnt need to be big. Any suggestions?
I use a Zeagle combo that sits in a mesh pocket with the spool and SMB attached.
QD Deluxe Signal Tube with Plastic Reel
You can buy the pocket separately for $20 and put in any SMB-spool combination. Just pull out the SMB by the strap and it all comes out attached and ready to use. The pocket attaches with small zip ties to back of your BC or back plate.

Also I think it's not good idea to inflate with the BC inflator hose as inflating the SMB can throw your buoyancy off and you don't want your BC disconnected at this time.

The Mares combination also looks like a good idea though not tried it.

Also I think it's not good idea to inflate with the BC inflator hose

Not only is disconnecting the inflator hose and using it to inflate an SMB a terrible idea it's also impossible.

Edited to correct- it's possible to do this with some SMBs with a compatible valve

Back
Top Bottom