Sogod Bay / Leyte in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiggins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone been to Sogod Bay or other areas of Southern Leyte in July? I read that its not as affected by the monsoons as other parts of the Philippines. Hoping this is accurate because I'd really like to see the area. It will be my 4th trip to the Philippines previously Bohol 2x and once Anilao. I'm looking at the 2nd week of July. If not Leyte, is there anywhere else in the Philippines that might be good then?

For those who have been before, please weigh in on transportation to/from the Sogod Bay area and flights. I'm considering flying USA-Tokyo-Manila, an overnight near the airport and an early flight to Tacloban. In order to maximize diving on the last day, I am considering an early ferry to catch afternoon flights going Cebu-Singapore-USA.

It baffles me that the flights I'm looking at will cost me $500 less than USA-Bonaire.

If going to to S Leyte and flying from US, you can fly to HK, Seoul, Tokyo, Taiwan, and get a direct flight to Cebu.
Try to avoid Manila airport, 4 terminals only 1 runway. Flights are late coming in and leaving. And have to change terminals from international to domestic flights.

Also have a look at Duain, Dumagete.

Sipalay via Bacolod or Dumaguette. Bus from either place takes at least 5-6hrs. Artistic diving is my suggestion.

PAL has direct flight from the west coast of US to Manila an then onward to Tacloban. You might be able to buy one through ticket. Food on PAL is lousy. BTW, PAL has the exclusive use of T2 for both international and domestic flights but sometimes domestic flight does land at T3.

Sogod Bay is a must if you have the inclination and time. It is just a wee bit tricky to get there.

Not really too tricky if you fly into Cebu , Manila is horrible but improving. Then get a ferry to Southern Leyte , the dive resorts will be able to give you better information than we can. The diving there is absolutely fabulous , with pristine reefs and very beautiful unspoiled topside,

Thanks guys for the advise. On my first trip, I experienced the mess of trying to make a 3h connection at Manila T1 to T4. Wont do that again. The 3 other trips I had no issues but made sure to sick with airlines in T3 and left more time. I've got some emails out to resorts for ferry advise for the return. I will check into those other locations if Sogod bay turns out to be too much trouble.

The ferry from Ormoc to Cebu City is more frequent and reliable. But it is a 3hrs car journey from Padres Bugos.

Peter's Dive resort were great. They arranged transport from the ferry to the resort.
I was there last year and there was a fast(3hr) ferry from Cebu to Maasin. That ferry doesn't run anymore.

Not affected by the monsoons is somewhat inaccurate. South Leyte gets it's fair share of monsoon rain and wind. Less affected by typhoons is true. It's to the very South of the typhoon belt. Like everywhere in Philippines July can be a tricky month but chances are excellent you will have some great weather along with a little rain. It will be hot and humid, but there will likely be a breeze/wind coming in from across the bay to help things out. I'm in agreement with those who say the diving here is great, the topside beautiful. I also suggest you look closely at Peter's. Great people who will bend over backwards to make your trip the best it can be.
One thing to keep in mind is July is low season (but not for lack of good diving). It's helpful if other guests are booked, which means the dive boat will cross the bay regularly (weather permitting, which it usually is) so worth the enquiry before you commit.
As for transport. If you fly into Cebu there is a 6 am fast ferry, the Super Joy, which gets you into Hilongos very close to 9 am. If you arrange transport, you will be at your resort by 11 am and in the water shortly thereafter. The return trip leaves around 930 and you will be back in Cebu on your way to the airport (or wherever) before 1. I wouldn't plan an onward flight that day before 4 pm. There are other options to get here, but that's the best one since Weesam stopped the Cebu to Maasin run. Your resort will give you all your options (including flights into Tacloban) in case another is more to your liking. If you do decide the Manila - Tacloban method, you know the drill but others should be warned as above. Do not fly out of terminal 4 (all Air Asia domestic flights out of Manila depart terminal 4). Better to do what others do: avoid Manila if at all possible. All that said, even with the extra layer of hassle to get here it's worth the trip and I'm unaware of anyone ever who thought not.

Thanks for the up-date on the ferry. Cheers mate.

Baybay City, Leyte

Super Cat used to run that route(Cebu - Hilongos) when I first went diving in Sogod Bay many yrs ago. And Peter came to pick me up and we drove the scenic mountain route instead of the coastal road.
There is nothing in Hilongos so please arrange for the pick up otherwise you would have to wait under the sun/rain for a passing bus/jeep/trike to get you to Maasin and beyond.

Great information here. We're in the planning a trip to Leyte next May, and are staying and diving with Peter's. They have been very quick answering all our questions so far. I'd like a little input from those that have been there though. We only have 9 day (including travel) so the only place we will be in at Peters and there for only 6 days/5 nights.. We plan on doing 3 dives/day and a night dive or two. So, my questions for those that have stayed near Peter's are:

What is there to do near Peter's during the evenings we aren't diving?
Is it worth going into Maasin for a few hours?
How much should we budget for meals, drinks etc (2 of us)? I know this is pretty subjective, but we can't seem to find any restaurants near Peters that have websites or menus online.

Back
Top Bottom